Cooler master hyper 212 over temp vr and memory

A E Robertson

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
Hello. I recently installed a Cooler Master Hyper 212 cpu cooler on an intell dh67gd board and I am getting over temp warnings (127 memory and 128 VR) even with the case open. All other temperatures are 29/49/26 (cpu/PCH/hard disk).
Two 120mm fans (front/back). Any ideas?

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Those readings sound wrong to me. 127c is REALLY hot. Hotter than boiling water. At those temperatures, you should be able to feel the heat radiating off the memory. If you can't, give it a brief touch (seriously, just barely tap it). If it's cool enough to touch, it's not at the temperatures your tool is telling you.

A E Robertson

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
Thanks Guys! The I've seen these "over temperature" warnings with both Intel's "IDU Version 3.2" (Intel Desktop Utilities" and also Pirform's "Speccy version 1.16.317 (64 bit)". Both of these utilities report about the same values but as some of you have already commented, values of 120C make no sense at all. I have probed around on the VRs and memory chips and they all at about ambient temperature. The funny thing is that 99+% of the time there is no issue. When the excursions occur they seem to persist until the system is rebooted. For now I have disabled the VR and Memory warnings.

Thanks again for the comments.

Alan

P.S. Many chips ago (5 to 10 years ago) I remember the IDU packages having similar problems.