Sign in with
Your question
Closed

HD 5770 Struggling with BF3

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 17, 2011 6:14:53 PM

Hi Everyone, I was just wondering if anyone was playing Battlefield 3 on a radeon HD 5770? And how its performing for them?

I am running a 5770 to play BF3 at 1920x1080. It couldn't handle high settings (high, not ultra) so i thought i'd drop it to medium settings. Still had problems. I now have it at low settings and it still cant really cope with the 1920x1080 resolution.

Sometimes it gets a bit jittery or even worse, the game crashes to window mode. It crashed to window mode once and windows gave the message to turn off windows aero. I have that off now anyway. So basically it often collapses from fullscreen to window mode or on 2-3 occasions it has crashed completely.

Is BF3 just too demanding at 1920x1080? Even on the lowest settings? Or does it sound like there may be problems with my card? I thought the 5770 could cope with most games at HD res even if some required lower settings.

Is it time to upgrade?

My rig is:>

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965BE
GPU: Radeon HD5770
RAM: 4gig (2x2gig)
PSU: Thermaltake toughpower 750Watt

Thanks for reading.
Regards,
Dean

More about : 5770 struggling bf3

Best solution

December 17, 2011 7:24:08 PM

Download and run HWmonitor and let it run in the background while you play BF3, then post max CPU and GPU temps here.

December 17, 2011 7:27:09 PM

Hi, I am using 6770 = 5770. I am getting great performance with ultra high setting @ 1280x1024 without any problem. See my uploaded video :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHuo3fXegys

So you should have get good performance with high setting @ 1920x1080. 5770 is a great card. Also see Tomshardware benchmark result:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/battlefield-3-graph...

It seems 5770 can run the game @ 1920x 1080. So this isnt about 5770. Maybe there is something wrong. Update your video card driver, defragment drive, use disk clean up to remove junk files. Or may be you can re-install your os again. Your rig is good enough.
Score
Related resources
December 17, 2011 10:53:06 PM

Make sure you are using the latest driver and cap set. Then try lowering the res down a step or two and compare fps if that doesn't fix it. Supposedly multiplayer mode is more demanding, so take that for what its worth...
Score
December 18, 2011 2:03:16 AM

wiinippongamer, I must have missed your post! didn't see it earlier! I just got that program so will try it tomorrow. I had AMD Overdrive running and task manager and while BF3 was running i used alt+tab to switch instantly to amd overdrive. It showed that the GPU was at 100% and temp was 62 degrees celcius. CPU was up and down between 30-50 or thereabouts. I will record temps properly tomorrow with HWmonitor.

mubin, Thats a much lower resolution so i doubt just dropping the settings to high will be enough to go up to 1920x1080! It does look pretty cool on ultra tho!
DRIVER: I got the latest catalyst driver when i got bf3.
DISKS: Also i checked and the drive shouldn't need defragmentation (5%). And its two 500gig drives in raid0 so read/write speeds are doubled.

professorprofessorson, Yeah i would imagine it would be more demanding. there are more players so a lot more explosions and stuff.
Score
December 18, 2011 2:04:44 AM

Wouldnt let me edit:

CPU usage was 60-80, not 30-50!
Score
December 18, 2011 2:13:05 AM

PS: RAM usage dropped from around 3GB down to about 1.8GB
Score
December 18, 2011 2:15:15 AM

AMD overdrive is accurate enough, it's not a temperature problem we have here.

Usage also seems normal.

Try the 12.1 beta drivers which are supposed to fix some issues with BF3, after cleaning your current drivers with driver sweeper ( get it from phyxion.net) under safe mode, to eliminate any possibilities of install errors. Just boot into safe mode ( having first uninstalled your current drivers the traditional way), start driver sweeper and tick the amd display driver box, and then analyze and clean. Then reboot back to normal windows and install the 12.1's
Score
December 18, 2011 2:25:37 AM

5770 is a lump of junk and whoever thinks they can get or say they are getting good game play at high settings with that card at high res must be smoking something or they don't own better cards so they can tell the difference.

somebody swat that bug will ya.........
Score
December 18, 2011 2:51:55 AM

Despite what THG says here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fastest-graphics-ca...

I really don't consider the 5770 really suited for 1920 x 1200 gaming w/ today's DX11 games ..... "most games" doesn't include BF3

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/battlefield-3-graph...

Quote:
Maintaining High quality at 1920x1080 [in BF3] is still possible with a Radeon HD 5850, though you’d probably be better-served by a 5870 or Radeon HD 6900-series board.
Score
December 18, 2011 2:59:59 AM

The problem here isn't mantaining smooth framerates at high settings, it's the game crashing to window and stuttering even at low setting which it certainly shouldn't.
Score
December 18, 2011 3:04:03 AM

Sounds like you have other problems, I finished that game at Auto (Video Config) And that was everything on High at 1920x1080 , same processor, 8gigs of RAM 800Mhz, working at 400, on a M3NHT Mobo. With a HD5750 flashed to HD5770 and it worked perfectly.
Unlike some people who feel that everybody has money to burn on cards so they can play games..... It maybe a crappy card as of todays lineup, but when it came out , it did pretty well as an entry level DX11 card, and it still plays pretty well. SO I don't see anything bad about it.
Yeah, and it's already finished a lot of other games all on high settings with extremely playable frame rates, never lagging or crashing.... no jitters and this is a 24" screen.
Score
December 18, 2011 3:07:29 AM

Im not so sure 5770 seems to be pulling average of 38 fps which is fine for single player.
it seems like I would simply drop down to 1366-768 or 1366x720 and try it out. It worked for me with crysis2
Score
December 18, 2011 3:23:10 AM

swifty_morgan said:
5770 is a lump of junk and whoever thinks they can get or say they are getting good game play at high settings with that card at high res must be smoking something or they don't own better cards so they can tell the difference.

5770 plays BF3 at 1280x1024 or 720p just fine actually and would you like a proof ?
Score
December 18, 2011 7:49:08 AM

swifty_morgan said:

I get good game play at ultra setting. I posted my bf3 gameplay video's youtube link in my first post. So at high setting, 5770 will do great. There is no need to compare a lesser card with a high end card. 6990 will give very great performance, but why i compare with 5770. May be you have a high end card, just enjoy yourself. But dont compare. Each card has their own measuring scale. They should have compare with their scale to see if they are doing good and we are talking about 5770 performance scale which give 34.10 fps @ 1980x1080, its from tomshaware benchmark result.

@DeanM, if you are playing multiplayer, than 1.5GB video memory is needed for ultra setting. May be thats why windows gave the message to turn off windows aero for high video memory usages. Are you playing multiplayer?
Score
December 18, 2011 11:29:09 AM

Hi All, Thanks for all hte replies! Its good to get feedback and hear peoples opinions and thoughts.

thanks wiinippongamer. Good to know it looks normal atleast! Those instructions look detailed! thanks! very helpful. On power up this mornin catalys asked me to update from 11.11 to 11.12. So I will give that a go and see if it has made any difference. If not i will try a lower resolution first just to see if it helps and then try the 12.1 beta.

swifty_morgan, I wouldnt say its junk now in fairness! This is the first game i've had issues with running on it. BC2 at highest settings, fps dropped slightly at times but very rarely. I'd say at its price its a god card. compared to others well obviously there are much better cards out there. I'm not willing to spend what the top cards cost! I might stretch to a 6950 if i can find a good deal! Unless thats junk too of course! lol but even that is stretching my budget.

JackNaylorPE, yeah i thought the same myself. but wanted to check what others thought as I've been thinking of upgrading. That bench mark is also single player whereas im playing multiplayer. And its been suggested multiplayer is more demanding. I should probably play single player! lol

actually wiinippongamer it isn't stuttering. when i said that i didn't realise thats how people describe this>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s34E0jZnN0s
That isn't happening.

Yes mubin i'm talking about playing multiplayer. I havent started single player yet! I wanted to try multiplayer but then kinda slipped my mind that i still had single player! lol
Score
December 18, 2011 11:32:44 AM

You need 8GB of Ram (more than 4GB) for that 5770 to even contemplate playing BF3 at 1980x1080.
Score
December 18, 2011 11:40:12 AM

have you tried oc'ing your cpu? may be multiplayer could benefit from some extra cpu speed. 5770 is a very good card but, bf3 is a bit more demanding than others. try tweaking the settings some more. hopefully you'll find one that lets you play smoothly in multiplayer.
if you oc, get a good cpu cooler liker coolermaster hyper 212 evo or plus.
Score
December 18, 2011 12:19:53 PM

5770 is a very capable card even @ 1080p

I have it paired with a athlon x4, 4gigs value ram and i can run 30+ fps @ high settings with 2 AA in BF3 np, try re-seating the GPU perhaps (always do the easy small things first :D ). Check your CCC settings as well, maybe you put them all on max quality when you first got the card, if you did move the sliders back to the middle for a performance bump and leave it there.

Just throwing ideas out there.
Score
December 18, 2011 1:30:46 PM

Headspin_69 said:
5770 plays BF3 at 1280x1024 or 720p just fine actually and would you like a proof ?

we're not talking about 1200 but 1900 resolution with a low/med card. not going to play BF3 at high and have it run smoothly unless the res is dropped and concessions are made to the settings to make the game playable ( smooth ).

perhaps playing in DX10 might help a little considering tessellation is weighing heavy on the card ?
Score
December 18, 2011 1:45:56 PM

Monsta, why would it need 8gig? it wasn't even using all of the 4gig I currently have installed! there was a gig unused! Are you sure about that? another 4gig would prob be cheap enough but i doubt that is the problem.

de5_roy, I have overclocked it before yes but I didn't leave it that way cos i didnt have time to fully test to make sure it was stable. clocked to 3.6GHz easy enough. and 3.8GHz but could crash if i was pushed. I just upped the multipliers! i didnt change voltages or anything! so as i said, it was just a non-permanent test. I have a Scythe Ninja 2 cpu heatsink. Haven't looked at that one you suggested but the one i have is pretty decent. I have been tempted to get watercooling but since i havent overclocked other than a quick test i havent needed to yet. I didn't apply the heat sink tho so maybe i should remove it and check the thermal paste. maybe even "lap" it! I just checked idle temps. closed everything except amd overdrive. left for 3 or 4 min and cpu temps hit 24.x degrees. while reopenin firefox it went back to 30degrees. and then fell back to 26-27. So idle temps look ok to me. I was running POVray once tho rendering 200 images at high resolution and the cpu was under full load and temps went up to over 60degrees. maybe 62-64 at which point it would crash! which is why i think checking the thermal past might be a good idea.

MicroGoliath, I think the fps is ok most of the time and drops now and then but the main problem is it crashes to window mode. I should probably monitor the fps and see what its like when running ok or when it crashes etc. might be useful information. Thaks for the suggestions. I just looked in CCC and it look like everything was on max. I looked in video settings and gaming > 3d settings.
Score
December 18, 2011 2:04:41 PM

Sorry I just realised you said high and not ultra , my bad , early morning here.LOL

Adding more Ram tho never hurt, like Alyoshka has similar set up to you and ran the game fine on high but he has 8GB of ram , you never know.
Score
December 18, 2011 3:29:11 PM

Ya move those settings to the middle or just restore default. Moving those sliders is just asking for trouble and is best left @ default. You should see a pretty big boost in your min FPS.

As to the crashes, tbh I don't know. Could just be BF3 being stupid, the game is still a bit buggy with crashes being often.
Score
December 18, 2011 3:34:05 PM

EDIT: I looked at CCC and it DIDNT look like everything was on max. sorry typed it wrong.

swifty_morgan, in CCC under gaming and 3d application settings it had Tesselation and AMD optimised was checked. I unchecked that and it still crashed to window mode.

What would be a good way to monitor FPS? Fraps? Do you have to pay for that?
Score
December 18, 2011 3:42:37 PM

Fraps is good and its free, just google and download it.
Score
December 18, 2011 4:04:15 PM

What about single player mode? Dose it crash when you play on single player?
If other game crash like bf3 then its the faulty gfx card. Is other game running good? One of my friend playing bf3 smoothly on HD5570 with medium setting @ 1600x1440 res. Never crash.
Score
December 18, 2011 4:07:30 PM

Havent played single player yet. Nope never happened before with any other games.

Cool, i'll get fraps and give that a try then.
Score
December 18, 2011 6:56:28 PM

monsta said:
You need 8GB of Ram (more than 4GB) for that 5770 to even contemplate playing BF3 at 1980x1080.

To bad no game uses more than 4gb ram BF3 included prey.
Score
December 18, 2011 7:42:53 PM

@DeanM
is your windows a genuine copy? because non-genuine windows (aka RemoveWAT) has been known to crash with DICE games.
Score
December 18, 2011 8:35:40 PM

Headspin_69 said:
To bad no game uses more than 4gb ram BF3 included prey.

Really? You obviously don't play BF3 or Metro.

My pc would stutter in BF3 at Ultra settings with 4GB of Ram @ 1980x1080 , in task manager I was topping out 4GB of ram ,once I put in another 4GB (total of 8GB) it ran perfectly and smooth and my fps was better due to my vram raping my system memory , see if you had any idea you would undertsand , but its obvious that you don't. Quit trolling every post, you have been caught out many times posting false comments about hardware.
Score
December 18, 2011 9:31:04 PM

monsta said:
Really? You obviously don't play BF3 or Metro.

My pc would stutter in BF3 at Ultra settings with 4GB of Ram @ 1980x1080 , in task manager I was topping out 4GB of ram ,once I put in another 4GB (total of 8GB) it ran perfectly and smooth and my fps was better due to my vram raping my system memory , see if you had any idea you would undertsand , but its obvious that you don't. Quit trolling every post, you have been caught out many times posting false comments about hardware.

Metro 2033 on my rig does not take 4gb LOL you are mistaken and nether does BF3 LOL.
Score
December 18, 2011 9:32:59 PM

My pc does LOL
Score
December 18, 2011 9:37:04 PM

monsta said:
My pc does LOL

well if you want to spend more money instead of forcing developers to code better by way of not supporting them when they *** up like EA games then be my guest and the only reason that a game would need more ram than 4gb is piss poor buggy coding ala Metro 2033 and the sucked.
Score
December 18, 2011 9:39:41 PM

Thats why I gave my friend my Metro, I was'nt happy with it.
Score
December 18, 2011 10:16:00 PM

Damn thats wierd! I had Fraps running to to see how it was running and it only crashed to window mode once! but the fps did drop pretty low at that time. Otherwise it wasnt too bad really! was mostly over 30fps easily enough. going up to about 45-50fps. I set it to high settings and was getting like 35fps average.

HWmonitor says under the MSI>Cpu max temp was 60. Under AMD 965 it has individual cores and it says the max reached was 56.

For the GPU it says voltage went from min 0.95 to 1.13V and max temperature was 64.

Its odd it only crashed once tho! but maybe i was lucky. usually have the heating on but didnt this eve so its a fair bit colder in the room so if the cpu supposedly hit 60 when it was cold then it might have been going higher when when the room was warmer. Would the cpu overheating be a likely cause of a program crashing from fullscreen like that? even tho usage was not maxed?
Score
December 18, 2011 10:17:53 PM

Is there a program like HWmonitor that records the cpu and gpu usage as well as temps? and shows the temp at highest usage and usage at highest temp? lol
Score
December 19, 2011 12:03:47 AM

Does it only happen when playing BF3? Tried the newest drivers already?

I know of no software that does exactly that but I'm sure someone else here will.

There's one easy thing you can do, download the free version of 3DMark11 and run a full test, it'll stress both your CPU and GPU to their max while making use of complex Direct3D features, if it doesn't crash with that, then the issue is definetly not on the hardware side.
Score
December 19, 2011 6:56:50 AM

DeanM said:
Is there a program like HWmonitor that records the cpu and gpu usage as well as temps? and shows the temp at highest usage and usage at highest temp? lol

Some software use graph. So that you can see how high cpu usage after gaming. Like speccy. But GPU_Z sensor can log gpu usage in a file and also show graph like task manager. You can see the highest gpu uses from there. Give a try with latest gpu_z soft.
Score
December 19, 2011 8:55:49 AM

wiinippongamer, yes only in BF3. but to be honest i haven't really played many games on it. I've only just started buying games for it. I got BF3 and Skyrim. And of those two i've only played BF3 multilayer. Before that the only other games i've played have been COD4 and BF-BC2. maybe a few others here and there but thats mostly it.

Thanks i'l do that. When i get home this evening i'll get that program and test it. that sounds like the way to go about it. I'll know then if i can eliminate hardware faults etc.

Mubin, i'll look into that program too. Might be handier than switching mid game to try see usage/temps etc. Cheers.

Really appreciate the advice guys!
Regards,
Dean
Score
December 19, 2011 8:56:58 AM

Lol..... well, you have to be able to get your hands on a HD5770 or even a HD 5750 as a matter of fact before calling everyone and idiot.
Don't you read??? Everyone has already played it on a HD5770/HD5750 and not had problems..... as a matter of fact at those resolutions and at High Settings.....
Score
December 19, 2011 9:03:17 AM

RECON-UK, I hear what you're saying and i agree i think its probably time to upgrade my card if i want to play anything above low settings. But if you read my previous post i was getting up to 50fps at 1920x1080 on low settings. So it is manageable on a 5770. Altho low settings look kinda lame! I played last night for about 2hours trying to get the thing to crash to window mode and it wouldnt! Which was odd because i spent the last week trying to get it to not crash and it kept happening!

I should probably make it clear that when i say it crashed to window mode i mean maybe once or twice per hour of game play. i click back on the window and it returns to fullscreen mode.
Score
December 19, 2011 9:06:42 AM

Well, that crashing is because of a windows setting called sticky keys. You'll need to disable it from the control panel, this also happens when you press too many keys too fast. Check those settings and you'll not face the problem of the game screen getting minimized.
Score
December 19, 2011 9:22:35 AM

RECON-UK, i never mentioned any error messages, and not any to do with memory. The only time i mentioned memory was that it went from 3gig usage during game down to about 1.8 when game was closed. And i mentioned that the 4gig i had seemed fine. and yes, i think i'll try a lower res later this eve. i was just testing it last night while i had HWmonitor and fraps running.

alyoshka, but wouldnt that effect every game? I can def check it out when i get home tho! thanks.
Score
December 19, 2011 9:33:42 AM

Well, do all the games you play have the continuous tapping of keys in a sequence or continuously pressed key combinations? If so, yes it ought to happen in a few other games too and sometimes just in particular games.
Score
December 19, 2011 10:43:56 AM

Well BF3 game play controls would be pretty much the same as BF-BC2 or COD4. So yeah if that was the case then it should happen in those games too.

RECON-UK, cheers. by crashing to desktop do you mean the game shutting down? It crashes to window mode but still runs, not to desktop per se. yeah its annoying that it doesn't give any error or message! Although windows said one time, only once, that it noticed the computer was running slow and suggested changing aero to basic. thats the only time i got any message. every othertime it drops from full screen to a window but still runs and goes back to fulllscreen if i click the window.
Score
December 19, 2011 11:11:51 AM

turning off aa increases performance a lot using AMD cards, perhaps it is possible but I have a 5770 and I'm really not interested in trying the game (pc) until I upgrade the gpu
Score
December 19, 2011 11:35:29 AM

Yeah, crashing means, it goes off... not meaning it gets minimized. What's happening in your case is, it's getting minimized.
Score
December 19, 2011 1:44:15 PM

spentshells, I would assume that low settings would have that turned off? I just set it to low and didnt check AA specifically. Also I don't think it's the performance thats the issue. Its getting enough FPS. It's just that it minimises mid game without any appareny reason! I thought it was performance till i used fraps last night and it seemed to be running ok.
Score
December 19, 2011 2:07:58 PM

could it be other software? i've had my firewall or anti virus pull me out of a game for scheduled scanning or for some other notification. or windows update messing with the game. another reason could be some process taking priority over the game. i know this might be unlikely with a quad core cpu, just throwing it out there.
Score
December 19, 2011 2:30:29 PM

de5_roy, that could be a possibility. I think the best option for now is to run the 3Dmark11 test like wiinippongamer suggested and see if there are any crashes etc.

And maybe check taskmanager and look at what processes are running when it minimises
Score
!