HD 5770 Struggling with BF3

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeanM

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
Hi Everyone, I was just wondering if anyone was playing Battlefield 3 on a radeon HD 5770? And how its performing for them?

I am running a 5770 to play BF3 at 1920x1080. It couldn't handle high settings (high, not ultra) so i thought i'd drop it to medium settings. Still had problems. I now have it at low settings and it still cant really cope with the 1920x1080 resolution.

Sometimes it gets a bit jittery or even worse, the game crashes to window mode. It crashed to window mode once and windows gave the message to turn off windows aero. I have that off now anyway. So basically it often collapses from fullscreen to window mode or on 2-3 occasions it has crashed completely.

Is BF3 just too demanding at 1920x1080? Even on the lowest settings? Or does it sound like there may be problems with my card? I thought the 5770 could cope with most games at HD res even if some required lower settings.

Is it time to upgrade?

My rig is:>

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965BE
GPU: Radeon HD5770
RAM: 4gig (2x2gig)
PSU: Thermaltake toughpower 750Watt

Thanks for reading.
Regards,
Dean

mubin

Distinguished
Hi, I am using 6770 = 5770. I am getting great performance with ultra high setting @ 1280x1024 without any problem. See my uploaded video :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHuo3fXegys

So you should have get good performance with high setting @ 1920x1080. 5770 is a great card. Also see Tomshardware benchmark result:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/battlefield-3-graphics-performance,3063-8.html

It seems 5770 can run the game @ 1920x 1080. So this isnt about 5770. Maybe there is something wrong. Update your video card driver, defragment drive, use disk clean up to remove junk files. Or may be you can re-install your os again. Your rig is good enough.

DeanM

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
wiinippongamer, I must have missed your post! didn't see it earlier! I just got that program so will try it tomorrow. I had AMD Overdrive running and task manager and while BF3 was running i used alt+tab to switch instantly to amd overdrive. It showed that the GPU was at 100% and temp was 62 degrees celcius. CPU was up and down between 30-50 or thereabouts. I will record temps properly tomorrow with HWmonitor.

mubin, Thats a much lower resolution so i doubt just dropping the settings to high will be enough to go up to 1920x1080! It does look pretty cool on ultra tho!
DRIVER: I got the latest catalyst driver when i got bf3.
DISKS: Also i checked and the drive shouldn't need defragmentation (5%). And its two 500gig drives in raid0 so read/write speeds are doubled.

professorprofessorson, Yeah i would imagine it would be more demanding. there are more players so a lot more explosions and stuff.

wiinippongamer

Distinguished
AMD overdrive is accurate enough, it's not a temperature problem we have here.

Usage also seems normal.

Try the 12.1 beta drivers which are supposed to fix some issues with BF3, after cleaning your current drivers with driver sweeper ( get it from phyxion.net) under safe mode, to eliminate any possibilities of install errors. Just boot into safe mode ( having first uninstalled your current drivers the traditional way), start driver sweeper and tick the amd display driver box, and then analyze and clean. Then reboot back to normal windows and install the 12.1's

Despite what THG says here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fastest-graphics-card-radeon-geforce,3085-3.html

I really don't consider the 5770 really suited for 1920 x 1200 gaming w/ today's DX11 games ..... "most games" doesn't include BF3

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/battlefield-3-graphics-performance,3063-8.html

Maintaining High quality at 1920x1080 [in BF3] is still possible with a Radeon HD 5850, though you’d probably be better-served by a 5870 or Radeon HD 6900-series board.

Sounds like you have other problems, I finished that game at Auto (Video Config) And that was everything on High at 1920x1080 , same processor, 8gigs of RAM 800Mhz, working at 400, on a M3NHT Mobo. With a HD5750 flashed to HD5770 and it worked perfectly.
Unlike some people who feel that everybody has money to burn on cards so they can play games..... It maybe a crappy card as of todays lineup, but when it came out , it did pretty well as an entry level DX11 card, and it still plays pretty well. SO I don't see anything bad about it.
Yeah, and it's already finished a lot of other games all on high settings with extremely playable frame rates, never lagging or crashing.... no jitters and this is a 24" screen.

Headspin_69

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011

5770 plays BF3 at 1280x1024 or 720p just fine actually and would you like a proof ?

mubin

Distinguished

I get good game play at ultra setting. I posted my bf3 gameplay video's youtube link in my first post. So at high setting, 5770 will do great. There is no need to compare a lesser card with a high end card. 6990 will give very great performance, but why i compare with 5770. May be you have a high end card, just enjoy yourself. But dont compare. Each card has their own measuring scale. They should have compare with their scale to see if they are doing good and we are talking about 5770 performance scale which give 34.10 fps @ 1980x1080, its from tomshaware benchmark result.

@DeanM, if you are playing multiplayer, than 1.5GB video memory is needed for ultra setting. May be thats why windows gave the message to turn off windows aero for high video memory usages. Are you playing multiplayer?

DeanM

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
Hi All, Thanks for all hte replies! Its good to get feedback and hear peoples opinions and thoughts.

thanks wiinippongamer. Good to know it looks normal atleast! Those instructions look detailed! thanks! very helpful. On power up this mornin catalys asked me to update from 11.11 to 11.12. So I will give that a go and see if it has made any difference. If not i will try a lower resolution first just to see if it helps and then try the 12.1 beta.

swifty_morgan, I wouldnt say its junk now in fairness! This is the first game i've had issues with running on it. BC2 at highest settings, fps dropped slightly at times but very rarely. I'd say at its price its a god card. compared to others well obviously there are much better cards out there. I'm not willing to spend what the top cards cost! I might stretch to a 6950 if i can find a good deal! Unless thats junk too of course! lol but even that is stretching my budget.

JackNaylorPE, yeah i thought the same myself. but wanted to check what others thought as I've been thinking of upgrading. That bench mark is also single player whereas im playing multiplayer. And its been suggested multiplayer is more demanding. I should probably play single player! lol

actually wiinippongamer it isn't stuttering. when i said that i didn't realise thats how people describe this>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s34E0jZnN0s
That isn't happening.

Yes mubin i'm talking about playing multiplayer. I havent started single player yet! I wanted to try multiplayer but then kinda slipped my mind that i still had single player! lol

have you tried oc'ing your cpu? may be multiplayer could benefit from some extra cpu speed. 5770 is a very good card but, bf3 is a bit more demanding than others. try tweaking the settings some more. hopefully you'll find one that lets you play smoothly in multiplayer.
if you oc, get a good cpu cooler liker coolermaster hyper 212 evo or plus.

Microgoliath

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
5770 is a very capable card even @ 1080p

I have it paired with a athlon x4, 4gigs value ram and i can run 30+ fps @ high settings with 2 AA in BF3 np, try re-seating the GPU perhaps (always do the easy small things first :D). Check your CCC settings as well, maybe you put them all on max quality when you first got the card, if you did move the sliders back to the middle for a performance bump and leave it there.

Just throwing ideas out there.

we're not talking about 1200 but 1900 resolution with a low/med card. not going to play BF3 at high and have it run smoothly unless the res is dropped and concessions are made to the settings to make the game playable ( smooth ).

perhaps playing in DX10 might help a little considering tessellation is weighing heavy on the card ?

DeanM

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
Monsta, why would it need 8gig? it wasn't even using all of the 4gig I currently have installed! there was a gig unused! Are you sure about that? another 4gig would prob be cheap enough but i doubt that is the problem.

de5_roy, I have overclocked it before yes but I didn't leave it that way cos i didnt have time to fully test to make sure it was stable. clocked to 3.6GHz easy enough. and 3.8GHz but could crash if i was pushed. I just upped the multipliers! i didnt change voltages or anything! so as i said, it was just a non-permanent test. I have a Scythe Ninja 2 cpu heatsink. Haven't looked at that one you suggested but the one i have is pretty decent. I have been tempted to get watercooling but since i havent overclocked other than a quick test i havent needed to yet. I didn't apply the heat sink tho so maybe i should remove it and check the thermal paste. maybe even "lap" it! I just checked idle temps. closed everything except amd overdrive. left for 3 or 4 min and cpu temps hit 24.x degrees. while reopenin firefox it went back to 30degrees. and then fell back to 26-27. So idle temps look ok to me. I was running POVray once tho rendering 200 images at high resolution and the cpu was under full load and temps went up to over 60degrees. maybe 62-64 at which point it would crash! which is why i think checking the thermal past might be a good idea.

MicroGoliath, I think the fps is ok most of the time and drops now and then but the main problem is it crashes to window mode. I should probably monitor the fps and see what its like when running ok or when it crashes etc. might be useful information. Thaks for the suggestions. I just looked in CCC and it look like everything was on max. I looked in video settings and gaming > 3d settings.

monsta

Splendid
Sorry I just realised you said high and not ultra , my bad , early morning here.LOL

Adding more Ram tho never hurt, like Alyoshka has similar set up to you and ran the game fine on high but he has 8GB of ram , you never know.

Microgoliath

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Ya move those settings to the middle or just restore default. Moving those sliders is just asking for trouble and is best left @ default. You should see a pretty big boost in your min FPS.

As to the crashes, tbh I don't know. Could just be BF3 being stupid, the game is still a bit buggy with crashes being often.

DeanM

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
EDIT: I looked at CCC and it DIDNT look like everything was on max. sorry typed it wrong.

swifty_morgan, in CCC under gaming and 3d application settings it had Tesselation and AMD optimised was checked. I unchecked that and it still crashed to window mode.

What would be a good way to monitor FPS? Fraps? Do you have to pay for that?

Status
Not open for further replies.