Your question

LAN v Wireless Connection

Tags:
  • Routers
  • Connection
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
March 5, 2011 5:43:52 PM

Hello,I have a DSL Router and my PC is so so slow when connecting to the internet with the cable (sometimes even get timeouts). However, my laptop which connects wirelessly has no trouble at all and is much quicker when on the net. Does anybody have any ideas
on what is going on with either my PC or my router?

More about : lan wireless connection

March 6, 2011 7:37:42 AM

First and most simple suggestion - try a different cable. They can cause problems sometimes, particularly if they're in a room which gets cold at night and warm in teh daytime, or if they're caught under a piece of furniture.

March 6, 2011 3:50:31 PM

Thanx for that but tried a different cable and no better. Even tried old cable in laptop and run that through the router and there was nothing wrong with the connection, so it looks more likely my PC is at fault, but cannot work out why. Hate to think that i'm going to have to reinstall Windows so any advice would be appreciated.
March 6, 2011 4:49:05 PM

I'm always leery when it comes to people's "perceptions". Let get some real numbers before proceeding any further. Go to http://www.speedtest.net and test with wire and wireless, then post the results.
!