CPU(2600k) dead?

ksak

Honorable
May 29, 2012
A week ago, I dropped some stuff off my desk onto the surge protector powering my PC. The PC turned off then back on the off again as soon as it happened. When I tried to turn it on again all I got was one click from PSU, fans would spin for a second then nothing. Usually I'd get the one click then after a few seconds the PC would turn on. So I removed mobo and tried a breadboard set up, same thing. I took PSU to test on an older PC at work. It POSTed successfully, so I'm pretty sure it's not the PSU.

I figured it must be the mobo so I purchased a new mobo and I have just made a breadboard set up.

Specs with new mobo

asrock extreme 3 gen 3 mobo
8gb g skill ram
xfx 850w psu

As of now I am having the same issue as with previous mobo. PSU clicks once, fans spin for a second and then nothing. Is my CPU dead? Even with CPU dead, can't the mobo post by itself? What the hell is going on here?

Solution
Hello again,

I have to correct myself, a motherboard without a CPU will not even alarm. The CPU runs the BIOS code, so it will only alarm if the CPU malfunctions, not if it fails altogether. So yes, it could be that, and since you don't get beeps for memory, its would fit.

Please double-check the jumpers on the motherboard too.

Do you have a GPU installed (I imagine so with a 850W PSU)? If so, try taking that out to see if it works. Other than that, you've done everything you're supposed to do in a situation like this, so I'm stumped as well, if taking the GPU out doesn't fix it.

I'll just say this, if it IS the CPU, it would be a very rare occurrence. The PSU should have died first in that situation and the mobo should have suicided to save the CPU.

ksak

Honorable
May 29, 2012

The 6 pin cpu power connector is plugged in along withe the 24 pin connector. I have the mobo sitting on anti static bag. The ram, cpu, cpu fan are the only other things installed, no GPU. I really doubt this new mobo is DOA. I almost positive its not the PSU bc I set it up on an older core 2 duo pc and the mobo did post.

There is no 6 pin CPU power either 4pin or 8pin (4+4)! 6 pin is PCIe power to the GPU!
http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors.html

ksak

Honorable
May 29, 2012

My mistake, I should have said 8 pin.

It has happened that people got bad boards from RMA. But I will be disappointed in XFX PSU's if anything else failed than the PSU itself since it should have all the required protection for power outages.

have you tired clearing the cmos. a lot of the new mb have digi power and it may have gone into fault mode. one thing have you tried to put a jumper ot tuch the power on pins or read the voltage at the pin. on mb those pins are just an electronic switch. if the front case switch went bad or the electronic switch on the mb it wont post.

The problem you describe is typical of a PSU trying to start a system with something shorted (something on the system, not the PSU). It will start spinning its fan, then a split second later it will power off again. The power surge caused by dropping whatever you dropped on the surge protector probably damaged some electronic component. It could be a TVS diode on your HDD, so please try disconnecting all storage and optical drives then try to power it on again.

Also, a motherboard without a working CPU will not post, but it will sound an alarm for CPU failure.

Tanny

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
Had a corsair 1200 PSU failed after 5 months, turn it on then power for 1.2 sec then clunk then stop, reset power from wall then same thing again.. Bought another Corsair 1200 PSU then the PSU fan was hitting something relly loud inside the PSU unit but the computer loaded up fine, wasnt the power board from the initial Failed PSU. Currently got that PSU insured and in the mail, sent back to different service people, shouldnt get lost in the mail again fingers crossed.

ksak

Honorable
May 29, 2012

I have the motherboard outside of the case in breadboard setup with only memory, cpu, and cpu fan connected along with PSU connections. I tried taking all the RAM out and I am not even getting any beeps or errors. Just on click from PSU, fan spins for a sec, and thats it.

Hello again,

I have to correct myself, a motherboard without a CPU will not even alarm. The CPU runs the BIOS code, so it will only alarm if the CPU malfunctions, not if it fails altogether. So yes, it could be that, and since you don't get beeps for memory, its would fit.

Please double-check the jumpers on the motherboard too.

Solution

ksak

Honorable
May 29, 2012
Just an update: I have confirmed the 2600k is dead. I slapped a new 2500k in there and the mobo posted right up.

Anyone have experience with Intel's 3 year limited warranty? I'm guessing they won't help me out here and I am out 300 bucks.

Also my SSD boot drive died, but everything else seems to be working.

ksak

Honorable
May 29, 2012

I purchased the chip from tigerdirect. Do I need to go through them or contact Intel directly? It seems tigerdirect only has a 30 day return policy.