Radeon 6950 HD not being recognized

dDougthehead

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
hey all,i recently received my computer from cyberpower...yeah i know. Anyway most things seem to be fine except my gpu isn't being recognized. i know its in there but when i check my device manager and display adapters it shows "intel hd graphics family" when i turn on my computer i get a message telling me to either update my AMD drivers don't match my graphics driver or something about an adapter. i have already uploaded the disk that came with the graphics card but to no avail. Went to the AMD website and tried to see if they could find it but the search tool couldn't. Now i am at a loss but with my lack on knowledge with PC's that no surprise. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

dDougthehead

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011

yes, i pushed and gave a little shake to any connections that i could see where connected to the gpu/mobo i took the power supply cable out of one socket and placed into another open one just to make sure it was getting power.

@OP
1- Make sure that under the device manager "display adapters" list, the HD 6950 is being recognized, otherwise you still have the intel VGA built in as the default VGA.
2- Navigate to your BIOS and make sure that the default boot up is the add in card which is the HD 6950 plugged in the PCIE 2.0 x16 slot.
3- Hook up your monitor cable in the HD 6950 DVI/HDMI port, if your monitor doesn't have a HDMI/DVI output you can use a DVI/VGA adapter.
4- EDIT: Make sure your PCIE 6 pin power connectors are properly connected and powering up the card.
5- Finally, if you're getting no signal on the screen while the HD 6950 plugged in, try the other card in another PC and report back.

dDougthehead

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011

i am not sure how i do that, the display adapters still lists intel hd graphics

this is the message i get when i turn the computer on, "ccc is not supported by the driver version of your enabled grapics adapter, update AMD graphics driver or enable your AMD adapter using displays manager".

initially i tried to hook up my hdmi cable directly to the gpu port but the screen didn't get a signal but there was 1 time where i booted the machine up and the cable was in the gpu slot, the screen was green and fuzzy but the signal went and the monitor went into standby mode..

dDougthehead

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011

so it has to be through the 6950 dvi/hdmi slots.

i don't know how to Navigate to your BIOS and make sure that the default boot up is the add in card which is the HD 6950 plugged in the PCIE 2.0 x16 slot.

dDougthehead

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
these are the options to boot from in bios

atapi ihas124
ocz-vertex 3
generic sd/mmc 1.00
generic sm/xd picture 1.02
compact flash 1.01
generic ms/ms pro 1.03

these are the only options i can see in bios

dDougthehead

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011

i think i found it, it was set to boot from pcie/pci so i changed to pci/pcie but that didn't do anything and the intel hd graphics was still being displayed.i erased to amd drivers and reloaded them but no change so i switched it back to pcie/pci. i checked the gpu again and the 2 fans that are connected to it are running.i don't have another computer that i can switch the gpu to the check it.

I actually think that the card is broken or the motherboard! It is connected to power but the PC does not recognize it being installed since it should disable the integrated by default.
You have access to another card to put in the slot to find out which?
(I really believe this is a cyberpower issue and should be dealt with under warranty)

dDougthehead

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011

nah i have gtx 9600 nvidia card that was with my last comp.i would be uncomfortable taking out the gpu from this new pc.i spoke to the guy who built it, MR Lu he said to call him back monday and he would set me up with a techie directly. Also i payed for OCing the i7 cpu but that wasn't done either so i guess when i send it back they can get both things sorted.

Also i would like to thank you and ilysaml for all of your help and patience!

The biggest obstacle I have seen with people here sending back to Cyberpower for warranty is shipping just out of curiosity how much will you be paying?

dDougthehead

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011

to have it shipped you mean? No idea. The shipping with the order was free, ups ground. I won't know how much it will cost until i take it them and see what the options are. i am assuming somewhere between $100-$200 which makes this a very expensive investment over all but once it's done right i'll live with it.