SP2 automatically turns on the firewall protection. If I have a router acts
as a hardware firewall, why would I also need to turn on the windows
firewall protection? I turned it off because I figured it might cause
problems to use both.

While using both is pretty much pointless both will co-exist. However, the
Windows firewall and the firewall in your router will not protect against
unauthorised exports. You probably should seriously think about installing
a good third party software firewall (I use Sygate) that will prevent
malware from 'phoning home', your present arrangement doesn't do that.