xp firewall

SP2 automatically turns on the firewall protection. If I have a router acts
as a hardware firewall, why would I also need to turn on the windows
firewall protection? I turned it off because I figured it might cause
problems to use both.
1 answer Last reply
More about firewall

    While using both is pretty much pointless both will co-exist. However, the
    Windows firewall and the firewall in your router will not protect against
    unauthorised exports. You probably should seriously think about installing
    a good third party software firewall (I use Sygate) that will prevent
    malware from 'phoning home', your present arrangement doesn't do that.

    "Bruce Roberson" <Bruceroberson@cox-internet.com> wrote in message
    > SP2 automatically turns on the firewall protection. If I have a router
    > acts as a hardware firewall, why would I also need to turn on the windows
    > firewall protection? I turned it off because I figured it might cause
    > problems to use both.

Configuration Firewalls Customization Windows XP