Help me build on a budget ~$1000

Hello everyone!

I am in the market for a new PC and want to get one built with a budget of approx. ~$1000, give or take $100-200.

I have no experience with building PCs at all so I hope some of you gurus can help me! :p

The primary uses for it will be for gaming and image/video editing. That being said I'm looking for a balanced PC (keeping bottlenecks in mind) ideally with a graphics card that is capable of running high-end games (such as Rift, Skyrim, etc.) with little difficulty. I am also not afraid of OC'ing within reason - will make me a sad panda if OC kills the hardware.\

Also looking to go for a SSD instead of a hard drive, not looking to have massive amounts of storage.

One last thing, I will be getting this to replace my 2010 21" iMac for gaming which is spec'd at:
- i5 CPU 3.60GHz
- 8GB RAM
- Radeon 5730m 256mb(?)

I hope that this is a possible endeavor and I thank you all in advance!

edit:

Approximate Purchase Date: As soon as possible

Budget Range: ~$1000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Image Editing, Video Editing, Browsing

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Any

Parts Preferences: No past preferences

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe but not necessary

Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Additional Comments: The quieter the better
6 answers Last reply
More about help build budget 1000
  1. Been doing some more research and it seems that the i5 2500K is the way to go in terms of CPU?
  2. i5 2500k
    2x4GB corsair vengence ram(small heatspreaders)
    gtx 570
    500 gb wd carvier black
    128 gb ssd
    sony or any cd/dvd writer x24
    asus P8Z68-V LE

u should recemond any sight name at least one
  3. @serialkiller

Thanks for the response, I'd really like to recommend a site but I don't know of any that have local prices (Hong Kong) for me, but I guess newegg.com or any popular site alike would do.

Also I'm assuming I'd need a sound card? I noticed that it isn't mentioned much when people ask others to build a PC for them.
  4. You will only need a sound card normally if your doing pro audio editing/recording. Most on board sound from the mobo is good enough for the average user.
  5. mikerockett said:
    You will only need a sound card normally if your doing pro audio editing/recording. Most on board sound from the mobo is good enough for the average user.

I see! Thanks for the answer! :)

Still looking for some builds (with prices) within my budget!

To make things easier I think I'd definitely be going for a i5 2500K CPU unless there's a good reason not to.
  6. Can you list a few sites in your country that you normally buy from so we can get an idea of costs in your country, then we may be able to offer some builds.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product