krystalized0

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012
I haven't had an issue with my cpu fans since I've owned this computer (about 4 years)

Basically, it only happens while I'm gaming.

Only with one game though (Dota 2)

I play other much more graphically demanding games with no rpm issues on my cpu.

I downloaded CPUID to monitor my cpu fan rpms.

On idle and other games it was about 2k-2.2k rpms
While on dota 2 it'll spike from 1800-3200 randomly and VERY OFTEN. It's not a gradual change, it'll change speeds 10 times in 5 seconds.

Cpu: AMD Athalon Dual core 2.5ghz
Ram: 4 gb
Mobo: MS-7548 (Aspen) This mobo only came with the prebuilt model my computer originally was
Hdd: 1tb western digital green series
Graphics card: Nvidea 9600gt (Bfg)

For fans (as maybe this is a weird heating issue)
There is a total of 7 fans.
1 on graphics card
1 on my cpu
1 on my case from my mobo
3 smaller case fans (not sure of size, but they cool quite well)
1 front 110mm fan

If you need anymore info on my pc let me know

krystalized0

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012
WFm5C.png

Sorry, It was HWmonitor. My bad

There is the specs

randomkid

Distinguished
What is the temperature when playing DOTA 2?

As for the reason why graphically demanding games to not cause your fans to spin high maybe because the processor is not stressed by such games because the gpu is working harder on it & the processor is not stressed to catch up. But with DOTA 2, the gpu throws a lot of fps & its the processor that is catching up.
In any case, the fan will ramp up when the processor temperature increase & slow down again when temperature lowers. The threshold at what temperature to ramp up & slow down is defined in the BIOS.

But of course, the heatsink will have harder time to cool the processor if somehow the contacts of the processor to the heatsink has degraded. It may be time to consider re-applying thermal paste to it.