Sign in with
Your question

Warning for pcu fan when plugged directly to psu

Last response: in Systems
February 16, 2012 12:03:37 PM

Hello all,
This is my first time posting so please excuse any breach in ediquette.
I just finished my pc and have 1 remaining minor issue:
When I installed the cpu fan I plugged it directly to the psu and not to the motherboard. I did this for 2 reasons 1st I had the wrong number of pins on the fan I was using and no adapter, and 2nd I had an extra 120mm "silent typhoon" fan that has great flow and is whisper quiet. The system runs at almost inaudible levels, but every time I turn it on I get a warning that the cpu fan is not running. I have gone into the bios and told it to ignore the cpu fan, but the error message is still there. Furthermore, every once in awhile I get a system error stating that overclocking failed which requires me to go into the bios and re-select my system overclock even though I am running stable and cool (30 C while running Autocad 2012, Mudbox 2012, 3D studio simultaneously). I'm sure I could put my system in a more rigorous test, but that is beyond what I run it at. Any advise would be greatly appreciated

I7 2600k
GTX 580
ASUS p8p67pro
Kngston Hyper X 1600mhz 8gb
Corsair Force 3
Xigmatek HDT-S1283
February 16, 2012 12:53:32 PM

Get an adapter and use the cpu fan header on the MoBo. I do not know if there is any way to disable those warnings. Over the years I have had the failed oc event on start up also. Knowing the system is stable, I just restart and it never happens a second time. It may happen once or twice a year. Here is an example of the adapter (http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g2/c251/s634/list/p1/Ca...). Just to be sure about stability, I would use Real Temps (http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/) and run Prime (http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=205) for up to 24 hours.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 16, 2012 3:40:51 PM

Some mobos simply rquire the CPU fan to be connected. Most of them do in fact. I was rather suprised to find that my ASRock extreme3gen3 is one of the ones that does not require the fan, and it is made by the same company as yours is, But different chipsets, different BIOS/UEFI, so they are entirely different animals.

If you are having failed OC events often then it generally means that something is not quite right (probably in the instillation process when it is cold), and I would play with the settings until it settles down a bit. Also, like Dogsnake said, the adapters are pretty cheap and will do the trick for you.
m
l
February 16, 2012 3:51:37 PM

cschoonover said:
Hello all,
This is my first time posting so please excuse any breach in ediquette.
I just finished my pc and have 1 remaining minor issue:
When I installed the cpu fan I plugged it directly to the psu and not to the motherboard. I did this for 2 reasons 1st I had the wrong number of pins on the fan I was using and no adapter, and 2nd I had an extra 120mm "silent typhoon" fan that has great flow and is whisper quiet. The system runs at almost inaudible levels, but every time I turn it on I get a warning that the cpu fan is not running. I have gone into the bios and told it to ignore the cpu fan, but the error message is still there. Furthermore, every once in awhile I get a system error stating that overclocking failed which requires me to go into the bios and re-select my system overclock even though I am running stable and cool (30 C while running Autocad 2012, Mudbox 2012, 3D studio simultaneously). I'm sure I could put my system in a more rigorous test, but that is beyond what I run it at. Any advise would be greatly appreciated

I7 2600k
GTX 580
ASUS p8p67pro
Kngston Hyper X 1600mhz 8gb
Corsair Force 3
Xigmatek HDT-S1283

It happens because the Motherboard's BIOS detects that there is no fan connected to the 4 pin CPU fan header. Buy an adapter or change that CPU fan with a 4 pin connector.
m
l
!