Hi, I would like to know if i can use a surge suppressor if my psu is

un4gettable47

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
Hi, I would like to know if i can use a surge suppressor if my psu is surge protected? I just bought this psu and surge suppressor and would like to know if it is safe to plug it into a surge suppressed outlet. I would like to know if the surge suppressed outlet will set off because of the surge protected psu, and can the psu be damaged from the surge suppressor? Thanks guys.

http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product3.php?id=NzA0NDgz

http://canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=32_436&item_id=022594

Solution
The surge protector plugged into the wall will prevent any surges of high voltage electricity from hitting your Power supply...it has a built in sensor that senses a higher than normal voltage exceeding a preset limit that's built into the surge protection device...that is "upstream" of your PSU...meaning that it will not hurt at all to have it placed inline with the A/C source for the PSU.

the built in surge protection in the PSU itself is a secondary protection device that will open the circuit if it senses the same as the first...sometimes like in a lightning strike or a transformer blowing up on a pole...produces a momentary spike in the A/C supply from the Utility company's transmission lines...power cables...this surge at times...

tekman42

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
The surge protector plugged into the wall will prevent any surges of high voltage electricity from hitting your Power supply...it has a built in sensor that senses a higher than normal voltage exceeding a preset limit that's built into the surge protection device...that is "upstream" of your PSU...meaning that it will not hurt at all to have it placed inline with the A/C source for the PSU.

the built in surge protection in the PSU itself is a secondary protection device that will open the circuit if it senses the same as the first...sometimes like in a lightning strike or a transformer blowing up on a pole...produces a momentary spike in the A/C supply from the Utility company's transmission lines...power cables...this surge at times can blow through the wall surge protection unit you plug your PSU into...it does happen...not often....but it can happen OR the surge protection unit may fail allowing a spike to get through...your PSU would then act to break the power circuit to prevent dangerous power to get past it.

They shouldn't work against each other...and your PSU should have a higher "preset pwr limit" than the wall surge protection unit...if not...the PSU protection circuitry would be popping when it shouldn't.

The protection circuitry in the PSU "SHOULD" be high enough to protect and work with the wall surge protector! The engineers should build that way as standard.

Hope that eases your worries!

Solution

un4gettable47

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012

Thank u my friend :eek: