Sign in with
Your question

Best CPU cooler for core i3 2100 3.4 GHz..

Last response: in Components
June 3, 2012 7:18:09 AM

Guys, im from Phil, and its really hot in here right now. Can you please tell me what is the best cooler for my core i3 2100? And also i want to ask what are should the other things i should think of and consider before buying cooler since im new to this kinds of things. Right now, im using stock cooler and my temps at idle is 50-61 and when gaming, it goes up to 70-75 and i think this is high enough.

I have read about the hyper 212 plus cooler but i don't know if it would be compatible with my system, and i don't even know where to buy it here in our country and how much it is. Please do help me and please bear with the newbie. Thanks guys! :)  :)  :) 
a b à CPUs
June 3, 2012 7:39:20 AM

tigidig2x said:
Guys, im from Phil, and its really hot in here right now. Can you please tell me what is the best cooler for my core i3 2100? And also i want to ask what are should the other things i should think of and consider before buying cooler since im new to this kinds of things. Right now, im using stock cooler and my temps at idle is 50-61 and when gaming, it goes up to 70-75 and i think this is high enough.

I have read about the hyper 212 plus cooler but i don't know if it would be compatible with my system, and i don't even know where to buy it here in our country and how much it is. Please do help me and please bear with the newbie. Thanks guys! :)  :)  :) 

hyper 212 is great for the money there is no reason to spend more as you can overclock the i3's as such make sure u read or watch about how much thermal paste to use, dont worry u get some with the 212 and make sure inside your case is tidy with cables organised so there is airflow and if there is not case fans fit some if there is mounts
a b à CPUs
June 3, 2012 7:41:49 AM

Where is Phil?
Related resources
a c 283 à CPUs
June 3, 2012 7:43:58 AM

abekl said:
Where is Phil?

Just guessing the Philippines. But yes OP, the 212+ is a great option if you can get one and it will fit into your case.
a b à CPUs
June 3, 2012 7:48:25 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Newegg has it with free shipping if you want to buy it online. I see alot of other places has it online but it cost about $4 more, with no free shipping :( .

It says it is compatible with your cpu but I've read a few people complaining that it wasn't. Either they were speaking the truth or they didn't know how to install it correctly (or CM fixed the problem). I hope we have some Intel owners of your cpu socket in the building to answer your question.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

This is the cpu cooler I just picked up because it is $9 after mail-in-rebate. This is just for an future build and with some positive reviews out there, I just couldn't help myself. I'm not saying you should get it (because I haven't even tested it and it won't be in my main pc anyway), but it could do. Depends on what you do with your cpu....
a c 283 à CPUs
June 3, 2012 7:50:35 AM

^ There you go.
a b à CPUs
June 3, 2012 7:54:46 AM

m32 said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Newegg has it with free shipping if you want to buy it online. I see alot of other places has it online but it cost about $4 more, with no free shipping :( .

It says it is compatible with your cpu but I've read a few people complaining that it wasn't. Either they were speaking the truth or they didn't know how to install it correctly (or CM fixed the problem). I hope we have some Intel owners of your cpu socket in the building to answer your question.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

This is the cpu cooler I just picked up because it is $9 after mail-in-rebate. This is just for an future build and with some positive reviews out there, I just couldn't help myself. I'm not saying you should get it (because I haven't even tested it and it won't be in my main pc anyway), but it could do. Depends on what you do with your cpu....

as far as im aware the hsf push pin layout is the same between 1155 and 1156 its just the cpus actual pin layout that differs that corsair cooler looks a bargain it may be in run out as it doesnt support socket 2011 is to be replaced with a slightly altered package with the extra mounting options as the 212+ did when it went to the 212 evo, but just speculating
a b à CPUs
June 3, 2012 8:07:08 AM

jasont78, Thanks for the info!

tigidig2x, sorry if your for posting USA links. I thought you were from Philadelphia (USA) and not Philippines. It is really late here for me to miss that. LOL
June 3, 2012 10:04:29 AM

wow guys thanks for the reply. I have read the hyper 212 its really cool guys, but i saw it on youtube and i think it wont really fit in my case.. by the way guys phil means philippines and hyper 212 also is compatible with my system since i have socket 1155.. But since it couldnt fit to my case, can you recommend a smaller one? or if nothing is much smaller may i ask i have noticed that there is still a free space at the back side of my case below the power supply fan which also looks like i can put a fan.. is that what it meant to be guys? I really need to fix this so i wont get the problem of hardware being burned again. I have core i5 last 4 months and its just wasted because of me not knowing the temps of my computer. and my i3 right now is new and i want it to be safe.. thanks...
June 3, 2012 10:06:29 AM

by the way guys, may i ask what should be the normal idle and loaded temperature of my cpu?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
June 3, 2012 10:43:33 AM

ah, WHY do you need an after market cooler for an i3?

mine is running cool enough on the stock heatsink.
(27-31c idle 58-62c full load/benchmarking)
June 3, 2012 2:14:16 PM

abekl said:
Thermaltake Frio
http://pcx.com.ph/accessories/cpu-fans/thermaltake-frio...

It fits 1156, so it will also fit 1155

Normal idle temps would be in the 30's, and loaded temps in the high sixties.

thanks for the reply dude!! by the way, does this cooler you had recommended isnt as big as hyper 212? is this small?
a b à CPUs
June 3, 2012 2:15:39 PM

Yes it's smaller than the evo, but not by too much.
June 3, 2012 2:19:13 PM

Anonymous said:
ah, WHY do you need an after market cooler for an i3?

mine is running cool enough on the stock heatsink.
(27-31c idle 58-62c full load/benchmarking)

damn, i wish i have same temps as you dude. But you know here in phil is hot and more significantly, its summer so its more hot. So thats the reason why i think my temps now are a bit high and my computer is also ruuning like 7:am in the morning to 3:00 am in the morning again, so i really think that this is a big burden to my poor computer. thats why im finding solution to this to atleast somehow make the lifespan of my cpu become more longer.
June 3, 2012 2:23:12 PM

abekl said:
Yes it's smaller than the evo, but not by too much.

ahh ok buddy thanks so much but i think im gonna wait for more recommendations right now bro, but it nothing comes more, then ill give it a shot thanks again bro. :) 
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
June 3, 2012 2:35:55 PM

tigidig2x said:
damn, i wish i have same temps as you dude. But you know here in phil is hot and more significantly, its summer so its more hot. So thats the reason why i think my temps now are a bit high and my computer is also ruuning like 7:am in the morning to 3:00 am in the morning again, so i really think that this is a big burden to my poor computer. thats why im finding solution to this to atleast somehow make the lifespan of my cpu become more longer.

ahhh, sorry i didn't read your whole post.

what i also neglected was telling you i have undervolted my chip. it knocked off a few degrees offsetting to -0.12 from the +.065 in my bios; your bios set up may be different. voltage is 0.067-0.087 on idle and 1.07 on 100% load. any lower and i fail testing it in prime95.

don't know if it might help or you care to give it a go, just saying . . .
June 3, 2012 4:44:19 PM

Anonymous said:
ahhh, sorry i didn't read your whole post.

what i also neglected was telling you i have undervolted my chip. it knocked off a few degrees offsetting to -0.12 from the +.065 in my bios; your bios set up may be different. voltage is 0.067-0.087 on idle and 1.07 on 100% load. any lower and i fail testing it in prime95.

don't know if it might help or you care to give it a go, just saying . . .

what are the pros and cons of undervolting a your processor?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
June 3, 2012 4:55:53 PM

tigidig2x said:
what are the pros and cons of undervolting a your processor?

pros:
less power consumption, lower temps and i believe a longer life without losing any performance.
cons:
none so far.

when i first undervolted i did a few benchmarks and posted them:
Undervolting i3 2120 (the only "fun" there is)
i had intended to do allot more and make it maybe a mini tut but i lost enthusiasm after i found out i didn't qualify for any funding. (actually i still really would like a much beefier gpu to benchmark but i doubt AMD or nVidia are willing to support my efforts and put all those idiots that scream 'bottleneck" to bed; i am sick of people thinking you have to have a quad core to game :p )
June 3, 2012 5:19:08 PM

Anonymous said:
pros:
less power consumption, lower temps and i believe a longer life without losing any performance.
cons:
none so far.

when i first undervolted i did a few benchmarks and posted them:
Undervolting i3 2120 (the only "fun" there is)
i had intended to do allot more and make it maybe a mini tut but i lost enthusiasm after i found out i didn't qualify for any funding. (actually i still really would like a much beefier gpu to benchmark but i doubt AMD or nVidia are willing to support my efforts and put all those idiots that scream 'bottleneck" to bed; i am sick of people thinking you have to have a quad core to game :p )

wow, it seems im interested in that undervolt method pal. Before that i want to ask, what is "prime"? and what do i need to undervolt? do i need softwares?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
June 3, 2012 11:32:26 PM

prime95 is a stress test to put 100% load on your CPU and/or RAM to test for errors.
http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/

you change the voltage settings in you BIOS, no software needed. boot into the BIOS by pressing DEL key when at the post screen; where it tells you what BIOS you have and what hard drives are connected; if you have the "splash screen" enabled; it will be when you see the motherboard logo.

in adavnced/cpu configuration you will see a setting for the cpu voltage or Vcore. where you see offset, the value will most likly be positive (+). change that to negative (-) and then raise the value from 0.05 to the next using the smallest increment.
save/exit and boot into windows. test with prime95 for 20 minutes to see if you get any errors; you will see your temperatures soar! keep an eye on them, if you hit 70c STOP!

wash, rinse and repeat lowering the Vcore by raising the negative(-) value. if you fail to POST (boot up), reset the CMOS by either setting the jumper or button, according to your motherboard, or unplug your computer and remove the CMOS battery for a few minutes and replace it to boot again. if you fail a prime95, either see errors or BSOD, reboot and set the (-)offset to the last known good value. by the way keep track to the values by writing them down :) 

to see how your changes are having an effect; get hardware monitor to see what is happening with your voltages.
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

really this isn't anything new, any good overclocker would find their lowest stable voltage @ stock before attempting to raise their cpu speed so they keep their temps at the absolute lowest. :) 
June 5, 2012 1:01:40 AM

Anonymous said:
prime95 is a stress test to put 100% load on your CPU and/or RAM to test for errors.
http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/

you change the voltage settings in you BIOS, no software needed. boot into the BIOS by pressing DEL key when at the post screen; where it tells you what BIOS you have and what hard drives are connected; if you have the "splash screen" enabled; it will be when you see the motherboard logo.

in adavnced/cpu configuration you will see a setting for the cpu voltage or Vcore. where you see offset, the value will most likly be positive (+). change that to negative (-) and then raise the value from 0.05 to the next using the smallest increment.
save/exit and boot into windows. test with prime95 for 20 minutes to see if you get any errors; you will see your temperatures soar! keep an eye on them, if you hit 70c STOP!

wash, rinse and repeat lowering the Vcore by raising the negative(-) value. if you fail to POST (boot up), reset the CMOS by either setting the jumper or button, according to your motherboard, or unplug your computer and remove the CMOS battery for a few minutes and replace it to boot again. if you fail a prime95, either see errors or BSOD, reboot and set the (-)offset to the last known good value. by the way keep track to the values by writing them down :) 

to see how your changes are having an effect; get hardware monitor to see what is happening with your voltages.
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

really this isn't anything new, any good overclocker would find their lowest stable voltage @ stock before attempting to raise their cpu speed so they keep their temps at the absolute lowest. :) 

OK buddy im gonna test it later, still busy for studies and im gonna post my feedback here too.. thanks bud...
!