Computer can't sleep

BDDDave

Honorable
Jun 3, 2012
Hello,
It used to be that when not in use my computer put up a blue lock screen and seemed to be content. Now, when not in use, the fan just starts running faster and faster and the computer gets hotter and hotter, like it's trying to download something. A couple of times it shut it's self off. The only thing I've done different is to purchase a new virus protection program. I am an old guy, not computer literate, but I know this thing isn't supposed to just run and run until it gets to thermal shutdown. what can I do?

what was the new program?
assuming you have a note of the license key for it, uninstall it and see if the problem persists after that,
on a sidenote, I would not pay for Av, I use Malwarebytes and M.S.E. on all systems in my house, free,good and don't slow anything down
Moto

randomkid

Distinguished

Maybe off topic a bit but I am very interested. I use Avast free version in all our laptops & pc's. If you have considered that as well, how does the Malwarebytes or M.S.E. compares? I can check it out but I think its very handy coming from a user.

randomkid

Distinguished
Great info. Thanks. Getting tired of Avast saying "Avast database has been updated" & "You are protected, but maybe you need more" or something like that.

So getting back on topic before this thread got hijacked....

Exactly what computer do you have; brand and model #? Do you have any heat issues with your CPU? Have you cleaned out any and all dust from inside your PC?

You can download a program called Core Temp to monitor your CPU's temperature. Generally speaking you don't want it to be more 65C when the CPU is being utilized 100%. 75C if you have a laptop. But it also depends on exactly what CPU you have.

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

BDDDave

Honorable
Jun 3, 2012

Thank you so much. I'll try that. It's Norton 360. I'm a bit afraid to uninstall it because I don't know how to re-install it. But your suggestion makes a lot of sense. Thank you again for your time

TRENDING THREADS