How to transfer files from win7 64bit to win7 32bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

-grumpy-

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
I am wanting to transfer files from an HP laptop running windows 7 ultimate 64 bit to a new HP laptop running windows 7 home premium 32 bit.
I have downloaded the files onto an external hard drive, but the 32 bit machine won't accept them.
I would really appreciate some help.

Solution
Could be something is screwed up with the external HDD. Here's what I'd do:
1) Connect ethernet cable between computers
2) Set up Internet Connection Sharing on the W7Ult to share the wifi through the cable
3) Turn off wi-fi on the W7Home
4) go to \\<W7Ult-Computer-Name>\C$ on the W7Home
5) Enter <W7Ult-Computer-Name>\<W7Ult-username> for the username, and <W7Ult-Password for your <W7Ult-username>> as your password, replacing the <> stuff with the appropriate information
6) Copy all the files you want
Concur
I do a lot of file transfers between 32 bit systems and 64 bit system.
For example I create a xcel spreadsheet on my 64 bit system, copy it to my 32 bit system, edit it and put it back on the orignal system. Same-same for files created on windows 3.11 (32 bit) system transfer to my 64 bit laptop and run them thru a viewing program. On and zero is no different in 32 bit and 64 bit, and that is what a file is made up of - one's and zeroes.

killersquirel11

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010
Could be something is screwed up with the external HDD. Here's what I'd do:
1) Connect ethernet cable between computers
2) Set up Internet Connection Sharing on the W7Ult to share the wifi through the cable
3) Turn off wi-fi on the W7Home
4) go to \\<W7Ult-Computer-Name>\C$ on the W7Home
5) Enter <W7Ult-Computer-Name>\<W7Ult-username> for the username, and <W7Ult-Password for your <W7Ult-username>> as your password, replacing the <> stuff with the appropriate information
6) Copy all the files you want

Solution

-grumpy-

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
A big thanks to you guys for responding to my dilemma.
I tried to use 'easy transfer' to move the files and got the message"easy transfer can't transfer files from a 64bit computer to a 32bit computer".
As a result of your input I found that just copying the files to the HDD then copy again to new computer worked fine.
Thanks also to killersquirrel11 - I'll try that too - sounds a lot faster.
I'm an old ah heck still trying to come to grips with the basics of this technology, so thanks again to you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.