Define XL Thermal Chamber Removal

TheYellowEyedMan

Honorable
Jun 3, 2012
With any hope I will be able to afford my new gaming rig by the end of this year. I have been researching which case I want for quite some time and now I am almost certain that I want the Define XL. However, I have one huge nitpick with the XL: the thermal chamber design.

I do not understand why Fractal Design made the case this way, utterly useless feature in my opinion, but I love the case. So my question is: can you remove the thermal chamber completely? By which I mean, can the dividers on the interior of the case be taken out so that the interior is one chamber like with most other cases and the Define R3?

I'm handy with tools and could probably still figure out a way to remove the termal chambers if it isn't something as simple as unscrewing a few things. But, if it isn't even remotely possible to do so then I don't want to spend my money on the Define XL.

Solution
I have this case, it's a smashing case, installed 2 extra fans at the front. Anyway, the reason why fractal have put the compartments in this way is so that heat generated from hard drives (which can be a fair amount - especially when I have 4 HDD's) so keeps the psu and hdd temps out of the main airflow of the case, obviously a bottom fan can be installed if you want. There is a small flip out panel above the PSU that can allow cables etc to pass through. The bottom cages are not designed to come out, but they are attached to the mid divider, which I also think the top HDD cage is also connect too. 95% sure of that, will have to check. Anyway, hope that helps matey, don't want to see you totally destroy a case and find yourself in a...
Assuming the hdd cage is not designed to be removable (lots are these days)
examine the cage,

Empty the case of any hardware first
four rivets at the bottom usally and more at the top where it joins the optic drive cage,
these are best removed using a 3/4mm drill bit then the cage can be removed with a bit of wiggling
and I would assume that the separating plate you mention is the same,
just identify the rivets holding it to the case, remove those and slide the plate out,
remember to thoroughly clean any metal bits out of the case afterwards
Moto

TheYellowEyedMan

Honorable
Jun 3, 2012

I would have to look around the net some more for a more in-depth review or something, I don't yet own the Define XL, but I'm pretty sure the bottom HDD cage of the case is not designed to be removable, so it would most likely need to be done as you suggested. I'm also pretty sure the separating plate is some type of plastic that has been fused, for lack of a better description, to the interior of the case. I'm thinking it would probably have to be cut out.

When I do have my hands on the case I would be doing this long before actually installing any hardware, but removing the sensitive innards would be pretty much common sense for me if they where already installed. Who the heck would go drilling and cutting away inside of their case with those expensive parts still inside?

Like I said, I probably could have figured this out on my own, but in my opinion it is always better to get some advice on something I know nothing or very little about. Thanks for the help. You have been very informative.

hammerhead2008

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
I have this case, it's a smashing case, installed 2 extra fans at the front. Anyway, the reason why fractal have put the compartments in this way is so that heat generated from hard drives (which can be a fair amount - especially when I have 4 HDD's) so keeps the psu and hdd temps out of the main airflow of the case, obviously a bottom fan can be installed if you want. There is a small flip out panel above the PSU that can allow cables etc to pass through. The bottom cages are not designed to come out, but they are attached to the mid divider, which I also think the top HDD cage is also connect too. 95% sure of that, will have to check. Anyway, hope that helps matey, don't want to see you totally destroy a case and find yourself in a bit of a situation :p

Solution

TheYellowEyedMan

Honorable
Jun 3, 2012

Hmmm, sounds like the nitpicks I have with the XL cannot be modded, or at least cannot be modded without ruining the case in some way. I'm thinking of maybe going with the Define R3 instead. I was more leaning towards the XL because of its greater space and such. Out of curiosity though, what kind of hardware do you have in your XL? What is your overall opinion of the case if used for a high-end gaming rig?

TRENDING THREADS