Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Should I Upgrade to HAF X and other components?

Last response: in Systems
February 16, 2012 8:52:57 PM

I have built a gaming pc last year (specs are at the bottom) but my case was never an actual case as such. I built it myself from just the skeleton of a very old cream case.

Now the problem I have is that its a bit squishy and isn't really all that much room for upgrades. And also the PSU is mounted at the top of the case which is something I am definatly not a big fan on.

I did mod the case an extreme amount to the point of it having no fans at the beginning but now having 5 case fans with room for one more. If I had to describe the way this case looks and may perform, I would have to say it is very similiar to the Antec 902, but without the big fan on top, instead there is 2x 120mm coolermaster Blue LED fans.

So my question is, would the HAF X be a good upgrade?

I have been looking at this case for a while and im still trying to decide between the HAF X or HAF 932 as both are relatively similiar but the position of the USB 3.0 ports on the 932 are a little off putting, but then again the 932 comes with dust filters etc.

I am also definatly considering an upgrade, with another 460 and a new PSU. I was thinking a OCZ Technology ZX Series 1250W Power Supply? I know this is overkill for 2x460's and an i5 but i will be soon hopefully upgrading to either ivy bridge (when released) or the i72600k until then. Also im upgrading to 16GB RAM and im considering that waiting off on the GPU and just upgrading to a better one like a 6970 later on and that way i can buy another one of them later on. Instead of 460's in SLi now.

Feel free to add your suggested parts that I have listed i want to upgrade, and your thoughts.

Cheers!

More about : upgrade haf components

February 16, 2012 8:58:19 PM

rhyle95 said:
I have built a gaming pc last year (specs are at the bottom) but my case was never an actual case as such. I built it myself from just the skeleton of a very old cream case.

Now the problem I have is that its a bit squishy and isn't really all that much room for upgrades. And also the PSU is mounted at the top of the case which is something I am definatly not a big fan on.

I did mod the case an extreme amount to the point of it having no fans at the beginning but now having 5 case fans with room for one more. If I had to describe the way this case looks and may perform, I would have to say it is very similiar to the Antec 902, but without the big fan on top, instead there is 2x 120mm coolermaster Blue LED fans.

So my question is, would the HAF X be a good upgrade?

I have been looking at this case for a while and im still trying to decide between the HAF X or HAF 932 as both are relatively similiar but the position of the USB 3.0 ports on the 932 are a little off putting, but then again the 932 comes with dust filters etc.

I am also definatly considering an upgrade, with another 460 and a new PSU. I was thinking a OCZ Technology ZX Series 1250W Power Supply? I know this is overkill for 2x460's and an i5 but i will be soon hopefully upgrading to either ivy bridge (when released) or the i72600k until then. Also im upgrading to 16GB RAM and im considering that waiting off on the GPU and just upgrading to a better one like a 6970 later on and that way i can buy another one of them later on. Instead of 460's in SLi now.

Feel free to add your suggested parts that I have listed i want to upgrade, and your thoughts.

Cheers!

PC Specs:

Intel Core i5 LGA 1156 @2.66
GTX 460 Superclocked Dual Fan Gigabyte
4GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator RAM @1600
Corsair HX650w PSU
500GB HDD
Motherboard MSI P55-GD65
CoolerMaster Hyper TX3
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 16, 2012 9:14:37 PM

The HAF X would be nice, but so would almost any case $60 or over. You definitely don't have to spend that kind of money to get a great case. Just trawl Newegg and see what catches your eye.
m
l
Related resources
February 16, 2012 9:41:37 PM

I was going to get the HAF X but I found it a little small for what I wanted so I went with the CM Cosmos 2 Ultra Tower. The thing is freaking massive but I am really impressed. If you were thinking of the HAF X, that's a great choice, lots of good reviews, just buy the dust filters separately :) 
m
l
February 16, 2012 10:21:57 PM

I will say HAF 932, because I'm using it right now and it comes with installed fans. When you are OC'ing you need a lot of airflow for stable temp.
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
February 16, 2012 10:44:56 PM

I'll reiterate: almost any case will have fine airflow, so you should choose by style. If a case doesn't have enough fans, it'll probably be cheap enough that you can add more without spending a lot of money.
February 18, 2012 2:18:58 AM

Thanks for the responses guys, keep em coming!

And i guess my next question is, would it be worth buying another GTX 460 and going SLi or will the new Nvidia cards be coming out relatively soon?
m
l
March 3, 2012 12:53:21 AM

Best answer selected by rhyle95.
m
l
!