Solved

Greatest gaming benefit?

Hi all,

I've recently been considering doing some hardware upgrade to my existing tower, but I'm wondering if I'll receive a greater benefit from upgrading my graphics card first, or upgrading the CPU and MOBO first while keeping my current graphics card for now? The reason I ask, is for roughly $250 Can, I can choose to either upgrade my Graphics card, or upgrade my CPU and MOBO(Required for CPU update).

Here are the relative specs (I think):

Current Setup
Graphics: ATI Radeon 3870x2
CPU: AMD Phenom 9500 quad core
MOBO: ACER F690GVM

What I would like to eventually fully upgrade to
Graphics: MSI N560GTX-Ti Twn Frozr II 2GD5/OC
CPU: AMD FX8120 Eight Core
MOBO: MSI 970A-G46 AMD 9 Series Motherboard

Thanks for reading, and I look forward to seeing your opinions :)
13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about greatest gaming benefit
  1. For gaming you would be better of with either a Intel I3 or I5 system or even AMD Phenom X4 instead of the FX. I would do the CPU motherboard ram upgrade first!
  2. GTX 560 ti GPU upgrade seems to make the most sense to me.

What power supply do you have?
  3. Best answer
    if you are limited at the moment get the card, mobo and Cpu can come later, and just carry the new card into that
    Moto
  4. I think an Acer motherboard and 2.2GHz phenom is not even giving the full potential of the HD3870X2 which is a GTS450 HD4850 performance class GPU.
  5. I could go with the CPU and MOBO then after that upgrade to a newer graphics card because if you just upgrade your graphics card first then you are going to get bottle necked
  6. Cpu and mobo!
  7. My thinking is getting the graphics card now, skipping Bulldozer
    and getting a Piledriver CPU/AM3+MB.
  8. There seems to be a lot of hate on the FX 8 core CPU... I don't understand a whole lot about CPU/MOBO configurations, but I would've thought that an AMD 8 core processor at 3.1GHz would be better than an Intel I5 4 core @ 3.1GHz? Could somebody please explain what I'm missing here? lol

And since a lot of of people don't seem to like the FX series.. Could you also maybe recommend a better CPU/MOBO configuration for gaming around $250 - $300 Canadian?
  9. its not actually eight cores, its four bd modules that act like eight cores, it is actually a quad with a form of hyperthreading,
    if you google bulldozer vs 2500k you'll encounter a lot more information on the subject

but under $300Ca
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157315
    if you don't overclock then a 2400 would do you and you could upgrade the mobo
    Moto
  10. Best answer selected by Pyrophyte.
  11. Thank you for B.a. man, glad to help
    Moto
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Graphics Cards