Sign in with
Your question

[help!] Overheated, now nothing

Last response: in Systems
February 16, 2012 9:57:37 PM

If someone could help me troubleshoot this, or at least point me in the right direction, I will be forever grateful. About 2 months ago, I decided it was time for a new PC. Bought the parts, what I kept from my old PC

Corsair 550w PSU
2 harddrives
M-Audio Audiophile sound card
Nvidia 9800gt graphics card

Then I bought
Asus M5a97 motherboard
AMD processor
8gb of Corsair Vengeance ram

Got it running, and noticed periodic crashes, but never when I was doing anything in particular. I installed 2 new fans and it stopped.

About a month later, I began getting crashes (when I say crash, I mean it just turned off, then rebooted, no error, except once, bccode 124) while playing Starcraft 2 or Skyrim. Very consistently. I updated drivers and BIOS. I swapped the video card out with my gf’s pc, and encountered the same issue.

I downloaded speedfan and noticed that even with the fans, my GPU was getting very hot, idling at 70 and getting >90 Celsius when running games. So I took the side off, put a boxfan next to the PC, and ran it whenever I was doing anything graphic intensive. I still encountered crashes periodically if I forgot to turn it on.

Today, it crashed, but it didn’t reboot. Fans were running, that’s about it. Now when I hit the power button, I can hear everything turn on, but nothing happens. Fans run, there are no error beeps or flashing lights. I’m at a loss. What could be overheating in my PC?

Other thing I noticed: when I’d boot, motherboard was double posting (which didn’t happen before).

Thanks!
Mike
skochoer@gmail.com

More about : overheated

February 16, 2012 10:03:17 PM

Oookay. Welp, I just turned off the PSU, turned it on, and pressed the MemOK button and it booted, saying memory is okay, "succeeds in system booting," and that I should press F1 for setup.

And now I'm in the BIOS. 4080mb ram, ddr3 1333mhz, voltages:
CPU: 1.188V
3.3V: 3.312V
5V: 5.05V
12V: 12.046V
m
l
February 16, 2012 10:04:29 PM

You just fried your MB. Buy a new MB.
m
l
Related resources
February 16, 2012 10:09:44 PM

Even though I'm in the mobo BIOS?
m
l
February 16, 2012 10:13:51 PM

scout_03 said:
could you try another graphic card and use this for temp readings http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html and this http://www.hwinfo.com/

Right now, I don't have access to another card. But I am in Windows. Not sure if it was turning the PSU off then on, or using the MemOK button, but I'm in Windows. This is baffling me. I will try those 2 right now.

This may seem like a dumb question, but I don't know. GPU: is it on the graphics card, or on the processor?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 16, 2012 10:25:34 PM

your is on the graphic card the motherboard you got do not have internal video chipset,this other card is a nvidia if not you will have to remove the driver to use a ati card and get the latest driver
m
l
February 16, 2012 10:42:54 PM

Thank you for your help. If you do not mind, I also ask why ATI?

Okay, fans on full blast, side off, and a boxfan blowing into my PC, video card maxed out at 78 degrees Celsius during Starcraft. Could it be the PSU? How is it getting so damn hot??
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 16, 2012 11:08:12 PM

ati is now amd graphic card and processor same company as the cpu you got 78c is to high dooae the card have it own fan use the software suggested and report temp of system
m
l
February 16, 2012 11:28:42 PM

78c is not too high for a graphics card. Thats about normal for a reference card with auto fan controls. It may be your PSU, cause its an older one. Its entirely possible but hard to tell if its up and running. Monitor the temps with HWmonitor itll store temps as they go higher and lower as you game or whatever so you dont have to constantly alt tab out to check it. The card is pretty old and if the PSU is 3 years old or older id say id start with those 2.
m
l
February 16, 2012 11:51:08 PM

Yeah, 78, but with a boxfan blowing on high directly onto it. I am going to buy a new PSU this weekend. If that's not it, then whatever, I need a new one anyways.

I really appreciate the help guys.
m
l
February 17, 2012 10:29:29 AM

A boxfan really isnt gonna help your CPU or GPU temps a whole lot. You can adjust your fan speeds in really any control panel for either video card, nvidia control panel or CCC for AMD. That would hellp you feel comfortable about the temps, altho 78c is nothing for a GPU. Ive had my 7970 over 90c during benchmarking. So dont get too nervous about those temps.
m
l
February 17, 2012 11:05:02 AM

vrumor said:
A boxfan really isnt gonna help your CPU or GPU temps a whole lot. You can adjust your fan speeds in really any control panel for either video card, nvidia control panel or CCC for AMD. That would hellp you feel comfortable about the temps, altho 78c is nothing for a GPU. Ive had my 7970 over 90c during benchmarking. So dont get too nervous about those temps.

Nah, there is a noticeable difference with the boxfan, likely because the room is pretty cold. Without it, temps get >95 degrees, and then the PC reboots.

So.. do you know exactly what makes it so hot? Could it be a faulty/old PSU not regulating power properly?
m
l
February 17, 2012 11:23:23 AM

Poor airflow, need to take your stuff apart a few times and year and give it a good cleaning, blowing air into it isnt enough. Theres a noticeable difference now maybe cause its winter, but when it warms up you may have some serious problems on your hands with how often itll overheat and also heat amages the equipment. Take it apart, clean it out, reapply CPU thermal paste after a good cleaning, make sure theres no air flow restrictions in your case, wires etc.
m
l
!