Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Motherboard standoffs dont fit

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 16, 2012 10:02:39 PM

Hello,
ive recently built my new pc and everything is working fine and runnning but there is one thing that is a concern. when installing my Gigabyte Motherboard GA-970A-D3 into the HAF 912 Plus case i followed the instuctions in the manual and put the standoffs in their correct place for an atx board but when it came to putting it in my case there was no standoff holes on the case for the far right standoff holes on my motherboard. the only problem with this is there is alot of flex in the board on the right side and im worried about breaking something when installing new parts does anyone know why the holes arent there?
a b V Motherboard
February 16, 2012 10:09:36 PM

PC-BJM said:
Hello,
ive recently built my new pc and everything is working fine and runnning but there is one thing that is a concern. when installing my Gigabyte Motherboard GA-970A-D3 into the HAF 912 Plus case i followed the instuctions in the manual and put the standoffs in their correct place for an atx board but when it came to putting it in my case there was no standoff holes on the case for the far right standoff holes on my motherboard. the only problem with this is there is alot of flex in the board on the right side and im worried about breaking something when installing new parts does anyone know why the holes arent there?



I encountered that problem before but I'm using Biostar MB on a HAF 932 case, so what I did was just ignore the holes w/o screw, but before I put the MB to the case I put almost everything on like Memory, CPU Cooler. And went fine.
February 16, 2012 10:13:22 PM

aqe040466 said:
I encountered that problem before but I'm using Biostar MB on a HAF 932 case, so what I did was just ignore the holes w/o screw, but before I put the MB to the case I put almost everything on like Memory, CPU Cooler. And went fine.


its all gone in fine and is running but when i put my new graphics card in and a big cpu cooler im worried about something breaking or stress being put on the board
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
February 16, 2012 11:15:34 PM

This is a common problem, I am embarrassed to admit it but when I encounter this problem I simply get a wedge of cardboard and squeeze it under the motherboard to stop it from flexing.
February 17, 2012 1:17:27 AM

The old plastic standoffs come in really handy for these situations. Just cut the button off the bottom of them and they make great little non-conductive feet for unsupported areas of the board.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
February 17, 2012 12:36:08 PM

PC-BJM said:
its all gone in fine and is running but when i put my new graphics card in and a big cpu cooler im worried about something breaking or stress being put on the board

CPU socket and graphics slot are in between 2 sets of screws, nothing to worry about there.
24 pin connector is main concern , how many times are you going to connect, remove , reconnect it ?
As stated before, a piece of cardboard wedged under it when you make the connection should take away your fears.


February 18, 2012 11:17:32 AM

thanks for your response and i will probally try using cardboard and i will be removing it soon to change to a modular power supply when plugging it and removing it there is alot of plastic cracking noise its horrible to hear when its your new build
February 19, 2012 7:30:15 PM

pjmelect said:
This is a common problem, I am embarrassed to admit it but when I encounter this problem I simply get a wedge of cardboard and squeeze it under the motherboard to stop it from flexing.


i used cardboard and folded in half and put it under my motherboard and now there is hardly any flex thanks for your response
February 20, 2012 4:47:43 PM

sewalk said:
The old plastic standoffs come in really handy for these situations. Just cut the button off the bottom of them and they make great little non-conductive feet for unsupported areas of the board.

im using cardboard for now but i will order some plastics standoff thanks
!