Sign in with
Your question

GFX Card buzzing noise(not fans) ?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 18, 2011 12:43:37 PM

Asus 6970 Direct CUII 2GB makes buzzing noise its not the fans because it contiunes when they are stopped.

Am thinking it maybe the GPU its self,it sounds electrical the buzzing and its contant when running programs that cause this.

Any ideas or should i just phone the manufacturer?

Regards

shappy
December 18, 2011 12:46:20 PM

its like the GPU is processing but stressing even though the program isnt high demanding and previous lower end cards have been able to run no problem?
a b U Graphics card
December 18, 2011 12:56:26 PM

What's the situation in which this happens? Absolutely all programs? Does it change when different types of programs (games, Photoshop) are running?
Please describe the sound in as much detail as you can.
Related resources
a c 88 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
December 18, 2011 1:02:01 PM

Does it make the buzzing sound during gaming?
December 18, 2011 1:05:32 PM

Hi,
yes it happens when I play the game Guild wars and I haven't had any problems with it on lower card just this when I came to play again, I doesn't struggle to play it because when I have v sync off get on average 300 fps on full.so far its just affected by this program.

I have checked and pin pointed it is the card by turning all fans off on heat sink and case, I have held fans on card and clean them and not them it sounds like its when the processor is executing the game but I don't know why it like a electrical buzzing noise and I have a 1000W PSU with both the power cables to the card and still this noise which is faint but coming over my fans.

any solution or anything else you want me to try and describe,is annoying me more than anything in that i want to find out the cause just in case it inst healthy for my pc or it is meant to do that.

Does that help ?

December 18, 2011 1:07:36 PM

monsta said:
Does it make the buzzing sound during gaming?

yes as soon as i open and the game and then ends as soon i exit or close down the program and is does it with sound on or off on my card
a c 88 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
December 18, 2011 1:08:49 PM

Sounds like the GPU is under stress and could possibly be topping out , that buzzing may even get worse if you turn on AA etc and put the card under more stress. Best to contact the manufacturer and see if it a fault or if the buzzing is normal if the card is being stressed.
December 18, 2011 1:10:48 PM

I have but I have to wait till tomorrow to ring :|, but i can run higher demanding games on full and the card doesn't even speed up its fan or nothing that's why am curious why on that game and if its meant to or not and if it may get worse
a c 88 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
December 18, 2011 1:12:24 PM

Are you experiencing any freezing , crashing or Bsods at all?
a b U Graphics card
December 18, 2011 1:14:08 PM

what are the temps? It could be coil whine, run furmark and check if the buzzing gets louder the hotter it gets :) 
December 18, 2011 1:16:14 PM

I doubt it be coil whine as the noise appears as soon the game starts then ends as soon as its closed the temp for the card it 35-45 50 max
December 18, 2011 1:17:22 PM

monsta said:
Are you experiencing any freezing , crashing or Bsods at all?

nope, not from running the game anyway I had some from running to many stream windows but that was because i had too many video streams, just strange its from just this game
a c 88 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
December 18, 2011 1:20:12 PM

turning on vsync can eliminate this sound, Its nothing to worry about some gpu's will make a buzz when its under stress.
December 18, 2011 1:24:18 PM

monsta said:
turning on vsync can eliminate this sound, Its nothing to worry about some gpu's will make a buzz when its under stress.

I have turned on the v sync its stopped for now but I had it on yesterday and it was still making the noise.

it still is making the noise very slightly now,i am going to ring the manufacturer see what they come to just in case it maybe the card has a fault.

a c 88 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
December 18, 2011 1:28:50 PM

Ive heard this bizzing before in my a friends set up , nothing was wrong with it , it never had issues , but the sound bothered him.
I'm curious to what they have to say , post their reply as I'd like to know what they say.
December 18, 2011 1:31:12 PM

I will post with what they have to say and if they send me a new card i will post to what the card does performing on the same program and if no noise well then faulty card if there still is it must be stress but it doesn't do this on benchmarks i don't think
a c 88 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
December 18, 2011 1:33:18 PM

Are you playing BF3?
a c 107 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
December 18, 2011 1:36:44 PM

This has all the symptoms of coil buzz(Coils vibrate).

The coils in the voltage system on the video card will buzz at different loadings and since at idle the card is not working, it will not buzz. This is absolutely normal and will not hurt the card in any way.

Some venders will RMA over this. I know i have seen this on both video cards(X1900XT and 8800GTX. Some games did not do it, others did, just depends on the load) as well as motherboards(K8V-SE, P5W DH and X85a UD5. the UD5 can be fixed by turning off C1E or speed step, it was one of them).

My underloaded Antec power supply did this until the system was under load.

This is the same reason why some florescent ballasts buzz despite no "Moving parts"

In no case has it caused a problem for me.
December 18, 2011 1:37:25 PM

monsta said:
Are you playing BF3?

Nope, was going to get it with my next card when i crossfire because i get a free copy

why were you wondering to see if that caused the noise too?
December 18, 2011 1:42:34 PM

Hmmmm, well i don't want to change with any the bios atm

i am still going to ask the manufacturer because i think you might be right @nukemaster but i like to see what there solution is to this problem

But thanks to all your help
a c 88 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
December 18, 2011 1:45:49 PM

Yes my friend plays BF3 and both his cards buzz like crazy , but he has no issues at all , the game runs perfectly.
Its jut his cards being stressed, he only gets this buzz in BF3, as he surpasses his 1GB VRam.
a c 107 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
December 18, 2011 1:47:18 PM

shappywoo said:
Hmmmm, well i don't want to change with any the bios atm

The bios setting was only to help if the board buzzes.

That said, it was bad because the I7 was changing clock rates and voltages constantly so the buzz was ALL over the place.

With my 8800GTX it was so loud at the strangest times(Open a properties on a super group base item in COH, yet the rest of the case was fairly quiet.)

I also never noticed it on my X1900XT until o picked up an Antec 900 case. The Sonata II fully removed the sound because it could not escape the case.

I would guess part of the reason some users have NEVER heard it is luck or just good noise isolating cases.

My 4870 5770 and 5870 do not seem to have this issue, but its just luck I am guessing(the coils may well be vibrating outside of my hearing range.).
a b U Graphics card
December 18, 2011 1:55:00 PM

Yep, coil whine. Mine's got it. It happens when the card uses a lot of power, I think: when it's under load, regardless of temperatures or the specific program. It's harmless, but if it's bad they may replace the card.
Please describe it in detail anyway; it's possible that I'm misdiagnosing.
a c 172 U Graphics card
December 18, 2011 2:24:59 PM

RMA the card or diy fix, yes you can fix it well mask it if you can figure out what I am implying. All you have to do is try to cool the chokes and the noise becomes almost unnoticeable if at all. Cards that use these types of chokes are well known for coil squeal or buzz as some say. I will use three of my cards as examples. First is my x1900xt, very easy all I had to do was reuse some old vram coolers from a dead geforce4/5 era card and used arctic silver5 to glue them onto the chokes. Buzz went away and overclocking improved slightly. Second card is my 8800gtx that I salvaged and once again all I had to do is apply some form of cooling to do away with the noise. In this example was using some zalman vram coolers and problem was solved. Last card is one of my gtx 280, now this applies to you if you can fallow basic instructions. All I had to do was cut one long strip of heavy gauge aluminum then I cut it into small segments that are the same length as the chokes but slightly wider. The homemade coolers for the chokes were then applied to the chokes using arctic silver5 to glue them onto the chokes while providing thermal properties. The extra width on the homemade coolers was bent up so that it didn't cause any problems when the stock cooler was reinstalled. They don't fall off when everything is done right and are not messed with. The compound eventually dries out and hardens so the small little coolers eventually bond rather well to the chokes. Overclocking improves just slightly and stability improves while the noise goes away. The other kind of chokes that you will find on the vast majority of cards that are not solid chokes can still be cooled this way but it doesn't always work as well but any thing helps. If you want something a little harder try cooling overheated caps T.T
a c 107 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
December 18, 2011 4:09:42 PM

Is it possible the extra weight of the heatsinks just prevents the coils from being able to vibrate enough to be heard. Heat should not effect he rate of vibration as much as load/frequency.

Many users have also reported finding them by pressing an eraser on the end of a pencil(as this dampens the noise) to find the noisy ones then using some kind of epoxy to prevent vibrations(if its is solid glued, it does not vibrate or the vibrations do not travel).

I have a pack of Scythe memory heatsinks(all sizes), may be worth looking into.
a c 172 U Graphics card
December 18, 2011 5:34:33 PM

nukemaster said:
Is it possible the extra weight of the heatsinks just prevents the coils from being able to vibrate enough to be heard. Heat should not effect he rate of vibration as much as load/frequency.

Many users have also reported finding them by pressing an eraser on the end of a pencil(as this dampens the noise) to find the noisy ones then using some kind of epoxy to prevent vibrations(if its is solid glued, it does not vibrate or the vibrations do not travel).

I have a pack of Scythe memory heatsinks(all sizes), may be worth looking into.

Try it your self and you will see. My guess is that you are no collector and don't own very many cards. The charge and discharge cycles generate the noise but adding the cooler or even just simple silicone will work. Improving the cooling helps with it comes to performance of the coil.
!