I am running XP with SP2. The Security portion of the
system doen't detect that I have Norton Antivirus running
and also I have automatic updates turned off.
So I get these popups at the bottom of the screen to tell
me that my computer might not be protected and to click on
the message to fix the problem. Of course clicking on the
message does not lead to a solution becuse I want
automatic updates off and the system still doesn't detect
NAV.
Is there a way to turn off these messages?

Open your Control Panel, then double-click the Security Center icon.
In the left side, click on the link titled: "Change the way Security Center
alerts me" and uncheck what you wish.

Frequently asked questions about Windows Security Center
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;883792&Product=windowsxpsp2

Welcome to the Windows® XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) Information Center!
This page answers the most frequently asked questions about SP2 and your
Norton antivirus and firewall products:
http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/sp2/faq.html

What to do when the "Your computer might be at risk . . . "
appears when using Norton 2004/2005 products
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/docid/2004070814522613?OpenDocument&tpre=&csm=no&src=con_web_nam

Use the Symantec Automated Support Assistant:
http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/sp2/asa.html

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"JohnD" wrote:

| I am running XP with SP2. The Security portion of the
| system doen't detect that I have Norton Antivirus running
| and also I have automatic updates turned off.
| So I get these popups at the bottom of the screen to tell
| me that my computer might not be protected and to click on
| the message to fix the problem. Of course clicking on the
| message does not lead to a solution becuse I want
| automatic updates off and the system still doesn't detect
| NAV.
| Is there a way to turn off these messages?

I changed the Windows Security for Virus Protection to not monitored and
haven't gotten that message since.

JohnD wrote:
> I am running XP with SP2. The Security portion of the
> system doen't detect that I have Norton Antivirus running
> and also I have automatic updates turned off.
> So I get these popups at the bottom of the screen to tell
> me that my computer might not be protected and to click on
> the message to fix the problem. Of course clicking on the
> message does not lead to a solution becuse I want
> automatic updates off and the system still doesn't detect
> NAV.
> Is there a way to turn off these messages?

The problem is with Symantec (Norton) Antivirus. Symantec acknowledges this
as a problem and has released and retracted a patch for the 2004 product
line once already. If you go to Symantec's web page and look here
(specifically):

http://snipurl.com/9aob

You will see that the 2005 product line already includes the necessary
patches/upgrade. The new release of the 2004 product line patch/upgrade is
expected sometime in late September/early October.

--
<- Shenan ->

JohnD wrote:
> I am running XP with SP2. The Security portion of the
> system doen't detect that I have Norton Antivirus running
> and also I have automatic updates turned off.
> So I get these popups at the bottom of the screen to tell
> me that my computer might not be protected and to click on
> the message to fix the problem. Of course clicking on the
> message does not lead to a solution becuse I want
> automatic updates off and the system still doesn't detect
> NAV.
> Is there a way to turn off these messages?

John

To get rid of the alerts, open the Control Panel / Security Center applet
and on the left menu, click "Change how Security Center alerts me". You can
uncheck the alerts for virus, automatic updates, and firewall there.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP