Sign in with
Your question

Does my power supply have enough connections for this video card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 18, 2011 1:37:09 PM

Hello, and thanks for taking the time to help me. I'm in the process of upgrading my video card, but I'm not sure if my power supply has the right power connections for the vid card. The card I'm looking at is a Sapphire Radeon 6870.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

The power supply I have is a Cooler Master eXtreme 500w:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

I really don't know when it starts talking about 2X75 Watt 6-pin PCI Express power connector is required. Is that the same power that is connected to my current GeForce 8800 gt?

Sorry if my question is really dumb, I'm trying to learn.
Thanks in advance for any help

More about : power supply connections video card

a c 1415 U Graphics card
a c 716 ) Power supply
December 18, 2011 1:41:59 PM

Your PSU only has one of those connectors currently connected to your 8800GT. CM extreme is not the best of PSU's but should handle the card using a molex to PCIe power adapter for the second connection..
m
l
a c 175 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
December 18, 2011 1:53:05 PM

Yes it does work but you need to use a Molex to 6 pin adapter because it only have got 1 6 pin connectors. So you end up with two 6 pin adapters, making it compatible.

We know that CM is not making a very good PSU, but it is still enough for 6870.
m
l
Related resources
December 18, 2011 1:58:43 PM

Thanks a lot. Ya, I know the CM isn't the greatest PSU, but at this point I don't have a lot of choice. At some point I'll upgrade my PSU but I have to take it one step at a time.
m
l
a c 175 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
December 18, 2011 2:07:41 PM

frost033 said:
Thanks a lot. Ya, I know the CM isn't the greatest PSU, but at this point I don't have a lot of choice. At some point I'll upgrade my PSU but I have to take it one step at a time.

Cool, hope it works. Here is a molex to 6 pin adapter if you can't find them:
http://www.atxpowersupplies.com/Molex-to-PCI-Express-Ad...
m
l
December 18, 2011 3:50:15 PM

I noticed that the Sapphire card comes with molex converters, but they are single 4 point to single 6 pin, is that not enough power and I should go with the 2x Molex to 1 6 pin PCI-e?
m
l
a c 175 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
December 18, 2011 4:00:46 PM

What's single 4 point? Simply Any adapters to 6 pin seems to be fine, make sure you have these connectors on your PSU and you should be fine.
m
l
a c 1415 U Graphics card
a c 716 ) Power supply
December 18, 2011 4:18:34 PM

frost033 said:
I noticed that the Sapphire card comes with molex converters, but they are single 4 point to single 6 pin, is that not enough power and I should go with the 2x Molex to 1 6 pin PCI-e?

That would be enough since they include it!
m
l
December 21, 2011 10:56:05 PM

I've installed the card, used the packaged adaptors, and now my computer won't boot fully. When I first booted it after installing the card it went all the way to windows before dropping to a blue screen. I booted again and now it won't fully boot up at all. Is it possible my PSU just isn't enough? Or perhaps good enough and I need a different one?

If this is the case, does anyone have a link to an affordable one? My wife is already not happy about buying the Vid Card.

Thanks
m
l
a c 175 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
December 22, 2011 2:15:52 AM

Make sure you place the cable from the monitor to the GPU (Not the Motherboard)
m
l
!