First gaming pc.

My budget is $600

BIOSTAR H61MGC LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i3-2120

CORSAIR Vengeance 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Or
G.SKILL NS 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)

GIGABYTE Ultra Durable VGA Series GV-R685OC-1GD Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD2500AAKX 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

SAMSUNG Black SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model TS-H353C - OEM

NZXT Tempest 210 CA-TP210-01 Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular High Performance Power Supply

What do you think?
33 answers Last reply
More about first gaming
  1. Looks good to me :)
  2. Everything is compatible? Which ram should I pick?
  3. I say the 1333 MHz cuz then the warranty won't be voided. :P
  4. Everything looks compatible to me... very close to the build I've recommended to several people... I'd go with the 1x4GB because it leaves you open to put in another stick if you feel the need for extra multitasking power, or if you want to do video editing in the future.
  5. Also, like above post, try to find a 4GB stick of 1333 MHz so the warranty won't be voided.
  6. Thanks guys.
  7. Why the micro atx for a mid tower case? You should go for a regular atx motherboard, more room for upgrades down the road.
  8. Blakexeal said:
    Why the micro atx for a mid tower case? You should go for a regular atx motherboard, more room for upgrades down the road.


    What do you mean?
  9. what games are you gonna play?
    games like bf3 will easily take up 3.5GBs
  10. Blue Saber said:
    What do you mean?


    What I mean is that micro atx are generally designed for small form factor cases. For instance someone wanting to create a lan party system or have a case that fits into their entertainment center. With a larger case like the one you have chosen you still opted to go with a micro atx motherboard. The difference being with a micro is there are less expansion slots. In the future if you wanted to upgrade to say sli/crossfire you would not have the additional slots required. Also it gives you more room for ram, etc.

    Here's a typical atx mobo that everyone usually goes for on a budget build.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157271

    That board will enable you to utilize pci-e 3.0 in the future as well.
  11. Blakexeal said:
    What I mean is that micro atx are generally designed for small form factor cases. For instance someone wanting to create a lan party system or have a case that fits into their entertainment center. With a larger case like the one you have chosen you still opted to go with a micro atx motherboard. The difference being with a micro is there are less expansion slots. In the future if you wanted to upgrade to say sli/crossfire you would not have the additional slots required. Also it gives you more room for ram, etc.

    Here's a typical atx mobo that everyone usually goes for on a budget build.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157271

    That board will enable you to utilize pci-e 3.0 in the future as well.


    I understand but I have a $600 budget.
  12. C0MMANDO said:
    what games are you gonna play?
    games like bf3 will easily take up 3.5GBs


    I would love to play Battlefield 3, Skyrim and any game coming out this year!
  13. Pretty good build.

    I agree with getting the single 4GB stick of 1333MHz value RAM. A single XMS3 stick costs around $20.

    Also, getting a cheaper PSU (like a CX500) will enable you to get a HD6870.
  14. Blue Saber said:
    I understand but I have a $600 budget.


    Alright, I just thought that may have been something you overlooked so I was trying to help.
  15. Zero_ said:
    Pretty good build.

    I agree with getting the single 4GB stick of 1333MHz value RAM. A single XMS3 stick costs around $20.

    Also, getting a cheaper PSU (like a CX500) will enable you to get a HD6870.


    How much better is the 6870 compared to the gpu I picked?
  16. Blue Saber said:
    How much better is the 6870 compared to the gpu I picked?


    Roughly 20% better.



    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-6870-radeon-hd-6850-barts,2776.html
  17. Is this good or can I buy something better?

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102948
  18. dep. on what res. your running at
    on 1600x the 6870 can run bf3 on high
  19. I think my monitor is only 1280 x 720
  20. if it's on a 1280, then it doesnt matter if you get a 6870 or 6850
    on ultra or high... you'd see no difference

    at this low resolution, your not really using the card to it's extent
  21. But what about fps?
  22. >60fps
  23. Which 6870 should I buy and down the road I will buy an affordable monitor.
  24. what are your options for the 2 6870?
  25. I'm wondering if their is a better 6870 than the one in the link above.
  26. I would go w/ Asus or gigabyte, If its out, then Msi
  27. ASUS +1
  28. HIS IceQ 6870 gets pretty great reviews.

    Do you think you will be upgrading your monitor any time soon?
  29. Thanks guys, I think I might try to get a used hard drive so I can put the extra money toward a monitor. Any suggestions on that and I think I'm done!
  30. Actually I think I will use one of my old e machines or dell cases... What should I be looking for when deciding which old case I should use for my new parts?
  31. MAKE SURE the parts fit your case

    mid towers will do
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build DDR3 Intel Systems Product