Cyberpower/ibuildpower ~ or build it own my own?

Prebuilt from a manufacture or build it myself

• Prebuilt

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Home built

Votes: 7 70.0%

• Total voters

shell shocke

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Hi, SO I've watched tons of videos and none have yet to answer my questions! I'm still confused on installing my GPU, also the wires on the PSU I'm confused about where they plug and go. I'm also confused on how to apply the thermal paste because when I watched most of the videos it was pre-applied...I've got another video I'll watch it, I'll see if it's any good (as in tells me better info). So yeah basically confused. :3

xtremcarl

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
I just built my first computer it really is not that hard. Most of it is pretty idiot proof. Most plugs can only go in 1 place and if you can read and follow directions figuring out where to plug stuff into on your motherboard is easy. Almost everything is keyed so you can only put it in 1 way. For thermal paste if your going to use an aftermarket cooler you mostly just need to apply a small dot or line (about the size of a grain of rice or two) on the cpu and then the pressure of the heat sink will even it out. For the PSU wires you can't plug the wrong thing into the wrong item the plugs just won't let you. You just find the plug that matches and plug it in. Between the excelent forum help here and other sites and videos on youtube you shouldn't have any problem.

Another option if your really unconfortable is microcenter will build a computer for you if you buy the parts. It costs a certain amount depending on how much they do but if you have one near you it might be something to look into.

My first computer only took about 3-4 hours total to build and have up and running and its a great experience. And if you want to upgrade in the future you will feel much more conformable with the equipment.

roll_right

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
The problem with cyberpower and ibuypower is you really don't know what components you are getting. They usually throw in junk PSUs which is something you cannot skimp on.

Also, if you aren't planning on overclocking or sli/crossfire (which you wouldn't want to do on a prebuilt anyway) you can use the stock cooler for most CPUs which has the thermal paste preapplied. Beyond that it is basically legos with some wires.

They generally allow you to select from a few reasonable PSUs, and they specify practically all of their components. I think they're a viable option; they're just more expensive and don't give you the fun of building the computer yourself.

rage33

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
Lol would you really expect anyone to prefer prebuilt over homebuilt on these forums? I always build my own, why pay someone to do something you can do yourself? :)