Intel Heatsink fan won't fit no matter what!!

yamajee

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
Hey guys,

so I've bought this new Zalman HSF and looks like it's made for a different socket CPU so I decided to put back my previous HSF which is the intel heatsink fan (got an intel mobo with core 2 duo as the CPU) and it won't fit no matter what, the fasteners are being really annoying! I tried doing everything for over 2 hours including clicking really hard I'm afraid to do it any harder because I know the mobo will break, I tried to do the lock positions in every style possible, flipped it in every angle and direction possible, I merely did everrrrrrything and it just won't fit.

I thought of super-gluing it stuck as this computer is my second/alternative computer and I'm not planning to upgrade it because it's like a file server for my things.

Any help is appreciated.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I'm assuming you turned the thumb tabs CCW and pulled them up to reset them. Make sure the black post is pulled up and out of the white fingers. Then squeeze the fingers shut if they are stuck open. When you set the HS/F down on the board, be sure the black bases are flush with the board and not held up by a white post that won't go through the hole properly. When one of the blk bases is flush with the board, push down on the thumb tab and turn it CW to lock. Repeat by opposite corners. Don't try to push down on the thumb tab if the base isn't flush with the board.

InvalidError

Titan

If CM's push-pins are the same design as Intel's, you are supposed to turn the pulled pins back to CW position so the 'barbs' will engage when you push pins to set them. This is what produces the 'click' that indicates when you have gone as far as the pin is ever going to go.

Pushing the pin first then rotating it CW also works but you lose the 'click' cue and it adds an extra unnecessary step to the pin-setting process where you already have both hands full holding the legs down while pushing pins.

TRENDING THREADS