Sign in with
Your question
Closed

How would I install a new motherboard and CPU with an old Hard Drive?

Last response: in Systems
February 17, 2012 2:56:24 AM

My previous phenom II x4 940 and Asus motherboard are toast, and now that I've decided on getting an Intel Core i3 2120 and a z68 motherboard, I'm not sure how intstall them and use my old hard drive (which would I guess have the old drivers still installed).

The hard drive has Windows 7 Home Premium (upgraded from Vista via upgrade disc). As another option, if I formatted the drive from another PC, could I fresh install vista then 7 and use the same product key I already have again?

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
February 17, 2012 4:15:51 AM

Aereik said:
My previous phenom II x4 940 and Asus motherboard are toast, and now that I've decided on getting an Intel Core i3 2120 and a z68 motherboard, I'm not sure how intstall them and use my old hard drive (which would I guess have the old drivers still installed).

The hard drive has Windows 7 Home Premium (upgraded from Vista via upgrade disc). As another option, if I formatted the drive from another PC, could I fresh install vista then 7 and use the same product key I already have again?

You will need to reformat the hdd and reinstall Windows. When you go to put the key it and register it you may be asked to call MS and get a new key. You should not need to do Vista and then 7 again.
a b V Motherboard
February 17, 2012 6:35:44 AM

Because your disk already has an activated version of windows on it, it should allow you to do an upgrade without any issues. 1. Assemble the computer. 2 Boot from DVD. 3. Install windows. Do not go into custom and delete your partition or format the disk. When the new copy of windows installs it will take all of your old files and place them into a folder called windows.old. You can then retrieve any old files you did not backup or save from the windows.old folder. Then delete the windows.old folder. This is basically the double install method with the first half done.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
February 17, 2012 11:06:04 PM

Naval's suggestion may indeed work. I did not offer the double install option because it wold violate the MS license and would be against the forum rules to discuss,
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
February 18, 2012 1:07:34 AM

Getting a new MB and CPU is fine with windows. You just need to reactivate the copy of windows. That's done either over the network or over the phone. I've done both, no problem.

There is one twist thought. Windows will nicely install drivers and you can manually install the chipset drivers that came with the MB. VIDEO is a problem. If you are swapping video card then you need to get rid of your old video driver and fall back to a default video driver before you swap to the new MB/CPU/VIDEO if you are going from nvidia to amd or visa versa. I've swapped hard drives bewteen system this way a few times.

re: "if I formatted the drive from another PC, could I fresh install vista then 7 and use the same product key I already have again? " YES-- BUT. If the vista from from a retail disk you don't even need to do that. Boot win7 upgrade and when asked insert the visa install disk. That gives you a clean install of win7. If the VISTA is from a prebuilt PC recovery disk (Hp, dell, etc.) then you cannot install once you swap MBs. The recovery media is tied to a tatoo on the MB. But again you do not need to clean install just because you are swapping MBs. BUT if you can clean install do it. It's like spring cleaning. Your system will be faster and more stable.
February 24, 2012 11:11:38 PM

Best answer selected by Aereik.
a b V Motherboard
February 24, 2012 11:58:44 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!