dlquinton

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2010
I have a homebuilt computer with an ASUS m4a79t deluxe mobo, and AMD phenom X2 processor, 4 gigs of gskill dual channel ram, a radeon HD 4600 GPU and a Western Digital hard drive. When I turn on my computer the GPU and CPU fans spin up and I can hear the hard drives spinning up fine. But nothing comes out of my GPU to my monitor.

I've tried changing the ram around, putting in different GPU, even swapping out the hard drive and I can't get any result. The monitor works fine with another computer, as does the hard drive. I really need this computer someone please help?!?!

QuietPC

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
Was it working and then stopped? If you've tried 2 video cards and neither has worked then one must ask if the video slot has gone bad. Anything that changed at all or anything you adjusted in bios?

furry_roadkill

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
did you make sure your front case panel power and reset headers are plugged in correctly? it could be that it's not booting even though the fans spin. make sure the processor is seated properly. if you have an aftermarket cpu cooler, loosen it up a bit. tightening it up can cause the problems. lastly, make sure the motherboard is seated properly. if you need to, remove it from the case and power on the system outside of the case.

dlquinton

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2010
Thanks for the replies. @QuietPC it was working this morning when I left for college. I've tried several different slots for the GPU. And I have also tried removing the CMOS battery for a minute or two.

@furry I don't have the case power panel set up, I use two buttons on the mobo when I need to turn it on or off. Never needed that set up before. I don't have an aftermarket CPU cooler. I haven't tried taking the mobo out of the case yet though.

Carmievg

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012
This may sound extremely basic, but check your USB ports for shorts. Check any wires and exposed connections, of which there could be hundreds, for contact which shouldn't be. You did use the stand-offs for the motherboard, yes? I've had all the issues I've just mentioned happen to me (aside from the motherboard standoffs missing; that was a friend whose new machine wouldn't boot), and it's quite often the simplest things if you get a no-go situation. The shorted USB ports took literally hours, like 20 of them, to think to check. Once I did, everything was fine. Good luck and happy hunting!

TRENDING THREADS