Need a do-hicky-thingy

G

Hello.

Does anyone know if there is a converter for the D connector(video Out) into composite, component or SVHS.

My friend has a new DVD laptop and would love to use it on his TV but no output except the monitor out D type connector.

Thanks.

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
If you're referring to the typical monitor output, I've asked this very question myself, and I've received replies that there are no such things. Don't quote me on it, though.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

G

Thanks Rob.

I did not think there was. I will pass along the bad news to my friend.

Thanks again.

hammerhead

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
The frequency is too high for a simple converter but it would not be impossible.

Makes more sense to get a Video card with TV/composite/SVHS output.

G

Um, how many laptops do you know of that let you put in such a video card? Come to think of it, can you change any hardware in a laptop?

hammerhead

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Pants, I missed the fact it was a laptop (bows head in shame).

As penance I'll search the net for a VGA/Video convertor (I'm sure one must exist, it's not that tricky although a separate power supply would be needed).

hammerhead

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Mind you, some DVD equipped laptops do have this capability (either onboard or upgradeable via daughterboard).

What model is your friend's laptop Mr. TheNeedForSpeed?

G

Thanks.

It's a company own unit and he or they or not willing to up grade it.
later.

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Not quite sure. My g400 has two heads and one of them can be used for composite of s-video out using a branching cable. That would work only for matrox i think....

------------------
This site is cool.

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
All the american companies are selfish. Well, 'cos uk tv's have a socket called the SCART which has RGB inputs as well as several others. If the Graphics card had a 50/100Hz refresh rate it could be connected to the scart. But all the G/C cards are all made by american companies.

<i><b><font color=red>"2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2"</font color=red></b></i>

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I think there are S-Video to RCA converters out there.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ah I couldn't agree more. Everyone else in the world is using the metrics system while US keep to the confusing empirical. US keep using 110V most of the time while the rest of the world has switched to 220V. Their plugs are different too.

------------------
This site is cool.

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Yep, we're backwards. On some things. An R rated movie here (Pulp Fiction, Terminator, Natural Born Killers) would be/is banned from most European contries. But then, a majority of R&D is done by companies/universities based out of US.

What gets me is all the people out in California wondering why there's a power shortage. This little 'incident' didn't start overnight.

It's one big circle, and it never ends.

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I guess most other people from Asia marvel at the backwardness and moved in swamps to a state far West. Could be true too.

------------------
This site is cool.

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
i hate to break this to you bout alot of contries don't use the same outlet have ever went to a travel store and seen all the converts they ahve just for the outlets lone

then they have a another big bunch just for the tel phone jacks

face it the world is never going to have one standard for pretty much any thing

G

I remember seeing one of those converter boxes around 4 years back. it could handle resolutions upto 800 x 600 with lots of flicker. But 640 x 480 was fine. I dont think they were expensive.

I also remember that my Amiga 500 had a little thingi called a TV modulator, aloud me to connect to the TV instead of a monitor.

Worse gets to worse, get a 100 Hz TV, they have monitor connector thingi inputs and they are great for watching DVD's

Who's your dady?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The U.S. electical standard is BETTER! Reasons:
1) 60Hz is a normal devision of seconds, just like there are 60 seconds to the minute. Unless we come up with a metric unit for time, it makes sense.
2) Higher frequencies are easier on the eyes than lower frequencies-don't believe me? turn down your refresh rate!
3) People are less likely to be electricuted at the lower 120v standard than 240v. (it used to be 110/220, then 115/230, now 120/240).
Yes, the emperical system sucks! But our electical standard does not. BTW, there should be a decimal system for time, but there isn't. At least everyone has one standard!

Suicide is painless...........

G

"3) People are less likely to be electricuted at the lower 120v standard than 240v. (it used to be 110/220, then 115/230, now 120/240)."

erm IIRC isn't it current that kills not voltage? for US voltage to be only 120, the current must be higher to produce the same amount of power. So the 120V standard should be less safe.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
WRONG! Sure, it's the current that kills, but that current is DEPENDANT on voltage-you see, every circuit, even the human body, has electrical resistance. I used to hook myself up to a 90 AMP baterry charger in a shop to prove to people that it was safe-12v from the battery charger was not enough voltage to overcome my electrical resistance. On the extreme opposit end, I have been hit with 40,000 volts from a high-performance ignition coil-the voltage went it through one hand and a spark flew from the other. But no internal damge was done, because the ignition coil lacked the CURRENT necessary.
So, the two components needed are 1) Enough current to fry something and 2) Enough voltage to pass that amount of current. Houshold electrical wiring easily has enough current capacity to electicute someone, but how many WATTS is a person at 120v? Watts, being the measure of volts x amps. Ohms being the resistance of the circuit, in this case, the human body, is volts/amps. It takes twice as much voltage to pass twice as much current through a given amount of resistance, therefore, if I can pass .5 AMPS at 120v, I can pass 1 amp at 240v.
Lets say my body has 600 Ohms resistance. Since 120/600=.2, only .2 Amps will pass through my body. Houshold wirering can carry 14-16Amps, so wiring is not a limmiting factor.
Of course, the same calculation for 240v gives me .4 Amps, which is alomst enough to stop my heart. So if, say, my hands were sweaty or something, my resistance would be slightly lower, the 240 might kill me where the 120 would not.

Suicide is painless...........

G

I thought this topic was about how to connect a laptop to a TV. Not how to build the best electric chair

Who's your dady?

TRENDING THREADS