user account software question

I got a new computer at home and it was loaded with
Windows XP Home. I previously used Windows 98 SE.

I've set up two user accounts and have most everything
loaded. I have downloaded and installed both SpySweeper
and HistoryKill/PopUp Killer and they manage to load on
startup on one account (I think the one that was
operating when I downloaded?), but not on the other one.
I can find them and start them on the other account.

How do I get those two programs to load on startup for
the other account, too?

Thanks,
Reid
5 answers Last reply
More about user account software question

    Reid wrote:
    > I got a new computer at home and it was loaded with
    > Windows XP Home. I previously used Windows 98 SE.
    >
    > I've set up two user accounts and have most everything
    > loaded. I have downloaded and installed both SpySweeper
    > and HistoryKill/PopUp Killer and they manage to load on
    > startup on one account (I think the one that was
    > operating when I downloaded?), but not on the other one.
    > I can find them and start them on the other account.
    >
    > How do I get those two programs to load on startup for
    > the other account, too?

    HOW TO: Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;279783&Product=winxp

    HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and
    Folders in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308419&Product=winxp

    Doug's Windows XP Security Console

    Windows XP is a multi-user OS, even when used by one person only, the
    fundamentals don't change.

    Documents and Settings is the directory that contains your user
    information/documents/etc. It also contains a few extra directories used by
    Windows.

    One is "Default User" - This is used whenever a new account is created. It
    bases the initial setup of that account off this directory.

    Another is "All Users" - This is used by.. all users. If you want something
    to appear on the desktop of every user of the machine, you put it on this
    users desktop (in the desktop folder.) Etc.

    You may also see "Administrator" - depending on your setup, this is the
    original administrator user and if you know that account's password, you
    should leave him alone and use him only in an emergency.

    You could also (if you have it where you can see ALL files) see
    "LocalService" and "NetworkService" folders. These are service accounts,
    normally unused by the standard user.

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    Reid wrote:

    > I got a new computer at home and it was loaded with
    > Windows XP Home. I previously used Windows 98 SE.
    >
    > I've set up two user accounts and have most everything
    > loaded. I have downloaded and installed both SpySweeper
    > and HistoryKill/PopUp Killer and they manage to load on
    > startup on one account (I think the one that was
    > operating when I downloaded?), but not on the other one.
    > I can find them and start them on the other account.
    >
    > How do I get those two programs to load on startup for
    > the other account, too?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Reid

    Put a shortcut to them in c:\documents and settings\all users\start
    menu\programs\startup

    posted here. No warranty, express or implied, is given with the posting
    of this message.

    On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 20:27:45 -0700, "Reid"

    >I got a new computer at home and it was loaded with
    >Windows XP Home. I previously used Windows 98 SE.
    >
    >I've set up two user accounts and have most everything
    >loaded. I have downloaded and installed both SpySweeper
    >and HistoryKill/PopUp Killer and they manage to load on
    >startup on one account (I think the one that was
    >operating when I downloaded?), but not on the other one.
    >I can find them and start them on the other account.
    >
    >How do I get those two programs to load on startup for
    >the other account, too?

    Shortcuts to programs to be loaded on startup can be placed in these
    folders:-

    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu

    C:\Documents and Settings\User 1 name\Start Menu

    C:\Documents and Settings\User 2 name\Start Menu

    If you want a program to run for all users then MOVE the short cut
    from the 2nd or 3rd (etc.) of these folders into the first one.

    --
    The Aussie Bomber
    Carn The Dons!!

    On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 13:38:19 +1000, Aussie Bomber
    <AussieBomber@privacy.net> wrote:

    >On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 20:27:45 -0700, "Reid"
    >
    >>I got a new computer at home and it was loaded with
    >>Windows XP Home. I previously used Windows 98 SE.
    >>
    >>I've set up two user accounts and have most everything
    >>loaded. I have downloaded and installed both SpySweeper
    >>and HistoryKill/PopUp Killer and they manage to load on
    >>startup on one account (I think the one that was
    >>operating when I downloaded?), but not on the other one.
    >>I can find them and start them on the other account.
    >>
    >>How do I get those two programs to load on startup for
    >>the other account, too?
    >
    >Shortcuts to programs to be loaded on startup can be placed in these
    >folders:-
    >
    >C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu
    >
    >C:\Documents and Settings\User 1 name\Start Menu
    >
    >C:\Documents and Settings\User 2 name\Start Menu
    >
    >If you want a program to run for all users then MOVE the short cut
    >from the 2nd or 3rd (etc.) of these folders into the first one.

    Oooooppppps - sorry!! those folders should be:-

    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

    C:\Documents and Settings\User 2 name\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

    C:\Documents and Settings\User 1 name\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

    Gee - everyone asleep (like I was when I sent my first!!) and did not
    pick me up on my mistake?!?!

    --
    The Aussie Bomber
    Carn The Dons!!

    Reid wrote:
    > I got a new computer at home and it was loaded with
    > Windows XP Home. I previously used Windows 98 SE.
    >
    > I've set up two user accounts and have most everything
    > loaded. I have downloaded and installed both SpySweeper
    > and HistoryKill/PopUp Killer and they manage to load on
    > startup on one account (I think the one that was
    > operating when I downloaded?), but not on the other one.
    > I can find them and start them on the other account.
    >
    > How do I get those two programs to load on startup for
    > the other account, too?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Reid

    Reid

    XP is a multi-user OS. Many software programs are not aware of this
    environment. When you install these programs they only work for the account
    that was logged on during the installation. If the other advice here does
    not work, you may need to reinstall the program, to the original
    installation folder, while logged on with the other account. This will place
    the proper registry info and shortcuts for the program into the second
    account.

    --

    Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP