Closed Solved

Power Needed ?

I am building a new rig and am wondering if a 1000 watt cooler master psu will be enough ? My rig as dreamt so far is:
1000 watt psu
asus 990 fx am3+ sabertooth motherboard
g-skill 16 gig of ram pc 1600
amd phenom ll x 4 3.6 ghz
sli'd EVGA 560 ti FPB video cards
and windows 7
13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about power needed
  1. Should be more than enough, you could get away with a 750W probably. why the Phenom II? 16 gig mem? whats the build for?

    quick calc: http://images10.newegg.com/BizIntell/tool/psucalc/index.html
    Thorough: http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp
  2. It's about 250w more than you need. Coolermaster is very hit and miss with their power supplies. A few are good to very good and most are basically junk. What model are you considering?

    If you want overall quality Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling, XFX, Enermax, Silverstone and Antec are all good brands.

    As I said above you only need a quality 750w unit for Sli GTX 560 Ti cards.

    Here is a good general list to go by when choosing a power supply. It's not perfect but in general it is correct.

    http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx
  3. Best answer
    A 650 watt will be plenty for that rig. Coolermaster PSU's are not that great. Pick a Bronze certified unit from trusted makers such as Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, Silverstone, of XFX.

    Of course if you were eventually to go higher than the 550 Ti, then a Bronze 750 watt unit would be better.

    You might also want to read Tom's latest gaming CPU hierarchy chart. You can also flip back to the front page of the article for some interesting reading. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-5.html

    Of course if you have needs other than gaming, then it may not apply.
  4. pablopicasso said:
    I am building a new rig and am wondering if a 1000 watt cooler master psu will be enough ? My rig as dreamt so far is:
    1000 watt psu
    asus 990 fx am3+ sabertooth motherboard
    g-skill 16 gig of ram pc 1600
    amd phenom ll x 4 3.6 ghz
    sli'd EVGA 560 ti FPB video cards
    and windows 7



    Silent Pro Gold Series RSA00-80GAD3 - Power Supply. . . . I hope it isn't on the *hit list !
    Because it just arrived. . . .
    The reason for the phenom ll, is being talked to by friends, and being convinced that it is the best move for the least amount of money with the ability to overclock later. . . .
  5. pablopicasso said:
    I am building a new rig and am wondering if a 1000 watt cooler master psu will be enough ? My rig as dreamt so far is:
    1000 watt psu
    asus 990 fx am3+ sabertooth motherboard
    g-skill 16 gig of ram pc 1600
    amd phenom ll x 4 3.6 ghz
    sli'd EVGA 560 ti FPB video cards
    and windows 7



    The build is for gaming mainly . . . . .
  6. pablopicasso said:
    I am building a new rig and am wondering if a 1000 watt cooler master psu will be enough ? My rig as dreamt so far is:
    1000 watt psu
    asus 990 fx am3+ sabertooth motherboard
    g-skill 16 gig of ram pc 1600
    amd phenom ll x 4 3.6 ghz
    sli'd EVGA 560 ti FPB video cards
    and windows 7



    Triple Thanks for all the replies ! ! ! ! !
  7. pablopicasso said:
    Silent Pro Gold Series RSA00-80GAD3 - Power Supply. . . . I hope it isn't on the *hit list !
    Because it just arrived. . . .
    The reason for the phenom ll, is being talked to by friends, and being convinced that it is the best move for the least amount of money with the ability to overclock later. . . .



    As per the Tom's article, even overclocked, the best AMD processors are just even with the likes of the stock speed Intel Core i3-2100, etc... The same findings can be had at other trusted sites. Your friends should study up.

    I am no Intel fanboy either having used mostly AMD processors since the 386dx40. But even I cannot argue against facts.

    If you wish to spend that much money on a marginal quality and totally unnecessary PSU that is strictly up to you. And no, more watts do not equal better quality. Coolermaster does however make excellent quality cases and CPU coolers.
  8. Well since you already received the PSU you could always upgrade cards later... If you haven't bought the other pieces though, do yourself a favor - go intel i5, drop 8 gigs mem. You wouldn't regret it.
  9. pablopicasso said:
    I am building a new rig and am wondering if a 1000 watt cooler master psu will be enough ? My rig as dreamt so far is:
    1000 watt psu
    asus 990 fx am3+ sabertooth motherboard
    g-skill 16 gig of ram pc 1600
    amd phenom ll x 4 3.6 ghz
    sli'd EVGA 560 ti FPB video cards
    and windows 7



    Oh the phrnom is an X 4
  10. Best answer selected by pablopicasso.
  11. anort3 said:
    It's about 250w more than you need. Coolermaster is very hit and miss with their power supplies. A few are good to very good and most are basically junk. What model are you considering?

    If you want overall quality Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling, XFX, Enermax, Silverstone and Antec are all good brands.

    As I said above you only need a quality 750w unit for Sli GTX 560 Ti cards.

    Here is a good general list to go by when choosing a power supply. It's not perfect but in general it is correct.

    http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx



    Thanks for your reply ! ! ! I felt it was a great reply ! ! ! !
  12. tlmck said:
    A 650 watt will be plenty for that rig. Coolermaster PSU's are not that great. Pick a Bronze certified unit from trusted makers such as Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, Silverstone, of XFX.

    Of course if you were eventually to go higher than the 550 Ti, then a Bronze 750 watt unit would be better.

    You might also want to read Tom's latest gaming CPU hierarchy chart. You can also flip back to the front page of the article for some interesting reading. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-overclock,3106-5.html

    Of course if you have needs other than gaming, then it may not apply.



    How much would I need if I used an 8150 AMD cpu with the same motherboard and video setup ?
  13. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems