[Solved] Gigabyte AMD HD 7950 no audio output from HDMI

shabbies

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012
Hi all,

I'm having trouble getting an audio output from my graphics card through the HDMI cable. I'm trying to get the audio out on a samsung HDTV but with the current card, I'm unable to do so.
My com specs are as follows:

Motherboard - Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3-B3
Graphics Card - Gigabyte HD 7950 3GB PCI-E
Monitor - Samsung HDTV

Previously, I had no problems getting audio out from the monitor with my GTX 260. I recently changed my motherboard and graphics card (from a GTX 260 to a AMD HD 7950) and after that, I can't seem to get the audio to be played out from my monitor, only from a set of headphones that I've attached to be rear ports.

soundg.png

The other audio playback options available to me all doesn't seem to work apart from the "Headphones (Rear Jack)".
I've updated the ATI HD Audio Driver from Realtek and that doesn't seem to work either.

Please help,
Thanks.

Solution
Sounds like I was right that the software was defaulting the audio to the wrong output port.

It probably would have worked if you went through the sound settings and made sure the sound was being sent to the right place.

If you want, you can reinstall the sound again and look through the sound settings. If you don't find it, you can always just uninstall it again.
Random thought, I know that a lot of PCs need to have specific drivers installed on the computer so their audio playback can work correctly. Perhaps it is the case that you need to install some sort of TV driver on your computer so the 7950 can best interface with it?

If such a driver is installed, maybe it needs to be reinstalled. It could be that the change over process caused something to quit working.

It could also be that your computer is trying to default audio output to the standard motherboard ports for audio if the headphones are working just fine. Maybe you need to change a setting about where to send the audio output?

Is it possible you could plug the motherboard audio output directly into the TV and see what happens?

larkspur

Distinguished
When you changed from the gtx260 did you completely remove all the nvidia drivers before installing AMD's? I would try completely removing all your previous Nvidia and AMD video/sound drivers and reinstalling the latest from AMD's website.

AMD has an HDMI driver. You need to install it. It's an option on the driver install. I've done this with 4650 in htpc. When it causes you problems then you fall back to the microsoft HDMI driver. (sorry i'm not near that PC, and it was a year ago, but I remember there were two possible drivers, one was the AMD installed audio driver and one was (i think) microsoft.

This article also help. I couldn't find the one I used. http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/GPU70NoAudiofromHDTV.aspx

I also remember some power on sequencing that I fiddled with to get it to work the first time (pc to tv)

ps. HD7950... nice.

shabbies

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012
Thanks for the quick replies people.

Okay, i'll go take a look at it later on, currently outside now. Once I get to it I'll post the results.

When I changed my graphics, I did a complete reformat due to my motherboard changing as well, so I doubt it'll be a Nvidia VS AMD driver conflict issue.

Oh okay, I'll go take a look on your link, will get back to you thanks.

shabbies

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012
I ran through the motherboard again and found an SPDIF output which requires an optical cable to send audio to the monitor. However, my monitor doesn't seem to have an optical cable slot for the audio, only a HDMI slot.

How does this come into the equation?

shabbies

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012
OKAY I GOT IT SOLVED.

I'm not too sure why though, but when I tried to do a reinstall for the ATI HD Audio Driver, I uninstalled it and the sound worked without the driver.

Thanks for the help guys!

Sounds like I was right that the software was defaulting the audio to the wrong output port.

It probably would have worked if you went through the sound settings and made sure the sound was being sent to the right place.

If you want, you can reinstall the sound again and look through the sound settings. If you don't find it, you can always just uninstall it again.

Solution

shabbies

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012

Alright will do. Anyway this is what happened to my "Sound" page after I uninstalled the driver.

sound2x.png

Suddenly all these new options appeared for me. I just selected the one that's not greyed out and it worked for me. Could this be due to software directing the audio to the wrong output?

Sometimes when you install a driver it comes with a default port selected that you may or may not be using. A menu like that or a drop down box would let you change the options.

I don't have a 7950 or anything so I can't take you through the setup step by step or anything, but I have seen those sorts of problems before.

sirsofaspud

Honorable
Feb 19, 2012

It looks like the realtek driver for HDMI audio hasn't been updated yet. I used that with my HD5850 and it has more options than the one that comes bundled with the ATI drivers. Hopefully it gets updated soon, then I would suggest switching back to the realtek drivers.

Anyway all those extra audio options are just other available options if you connected via display port. I believe each display port can handle multiple audio outputs.

If anyone is still having issues with the sound on the card do this:
right click the audio tray icon (start bar, right end) -> playback devices
right click hdmi audio -> properties
under the general tab click properties -> driver -> uninstall
check the box to uninstall driver software and click okay

Now you can either restart your computer or go into the device manager and click the scan for hardware changes button.

It will install a generic microsoft driver but that is fine. Reinstall the latest ATI driver package and click custom instead of express. Make sure everything is checked on the list and that one of them says HDMI/DP audio driver. Install and you should be good to go.

If it doesn't show up under the custom install options its either because you didn't restart/scan for hardware changes or you still have another conflicting driver which usually you just have to do the above process over again.

darkwonders

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
Sirsofaspud,

I did exactly that and my audio still is lost when I switch inputs on my TV display. I have a 7950 as well.

Specs

Motherboard - ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3
GPU - Sapphire 7950 OC
Monitor - PS3 Display http://us.playstation.com/ps3/accessories/sony-playstation-3d-display-ps3/

darkwonders

Honorable
Apr 30, 2012
Anyone got any ideas? rolling back, uninstalling, and re-installing the audio driver doesn't work at all.

I built this PC from scratch so there's no previous drivers conflicting.

It's really annoying having to restart my PC every time I lose my audio due to the input switching.

Luggruff

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012
I have the same issue and I've been in contact with AMD for months now.

Uninstalling does nothing. I feel like I've tried everything.. even this extensive uninstillation guide:

Response and Service Request History:

Thank you for Contacting AMD,

I understand that you do not get any audio connected thru HDMI

If I missed any information about your issue please let me know, as my suggestions may change.

Your issue is probably caused by improper driver installation or missing / corrupt files or by trying to install the wrong driver.

The following suggestions might help you resolve your issue

1. Uninstall all ATI drivers and any other video card software from the Add or Remove Programs and Features in Microsoft, Control Panel
2. Try using a driver cleaner program to make sure the drivers are removed: Please keep in mind that the (Driver Cleaner / Driver Sweeper are 3rd party software and not supported by AMD) please refer to their websites for instruction and guidance.

a. Driver Cleaner Professional
http://www.afterdawn.com/software/desktop_software/other_tools/driver_cleaner_pro.cfm
b. Driver Sweeper:
http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

3. Disable any running background software such as firewalls and antivirus.
4. Make sure your operating System has the latest Service Packs and patches / updates.
5. Make sure your motherboard has the latest BIOS and CHIPSET (you can get these updates directly from the manufacturer of the motherboard or Computer)
6. Make sure your power Supply is adequate
7. Chose one of the following ways to install the Catalyst Control Centre 12.8 and the Cap

a. Click on the link below to install Catalyst Control Centre 12.8
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/downloads.aspx
b. Click on the link below to auto detect your card and install the driver and CCC 12.8
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/auto_detect.aspx
8. Just connect you TV to the graphic card. Remove all other connection to the card.
9. Does audio work thru the TV when only the TV is connected to the card?

Raiddinn: How do you change the location?

The location for the ATI HDMI output is the same as my optical and 3.5mm outputs, wich are connected to my motherboard (wich has no HDMI output). My HDMI output is on my 7850 Graphics card..

"Location 0 (Internal High Definition Audio Bus)"