Need some help with CPU and MB

gac77

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
To make a long story short it seems my new msi 7870 is not compatible with my ASUS sabertooth x58 motherboard (7870 is 3.0 and MB is 2.0). So I want to replace my current MB,CPU and Ram with another that is compatible with that video card. i was told that not all CPUs/Motherboards are not 3.0 compatible.

my current system
i7-975
ASUS sabertooth x58 MB
6GB crucal ballistics ddr2 triple channel ram
spinpoint F3 HD
antec 650 psu
NXZT phantom case
sound blaster titanium sound card
windows 7 64

I'm thinking motherboard,CPU and ram and everything else should be compatible.

gac77

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
I have tried everything under the sun to fix my crashing problem with my msi 7870 including and not limited to the following. RMA,drivers 12.3,12.4.12.5beta and 12.6beta,updated all software,BIOS, disabled/inabled stuff in BIOS like audio,default BIOS,OC BIOS,MEMTEST,PSU, fan speed for cooling, test psu,checked power connections,re set gpu on MB,downclocking/underclocking gpu . The only thing I can think of is my ASUS sabertooth x58 MB does not support this card.

The crash I get is a black screen, then I have to hold the power button down until the PC shuts down. I then restart the PC get the screen that says windows didn't shut down properly with the option safe mode. start windows normally ( sorry don't recall the whole message in that window). Most of the time after the PC boots up the GPU fan is at full speed for a few seconds.

That is strange, indeed. It SHOULD work perfectly, just not at 3.0, obviously. It would almost HAVE to be a compatibility issue, but it absolutely shouldn't be. PSU going bad maybe? (Even though the one you have should be more than enough for a single 7870, it could still be failing).

gac77

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
Have not tried any other slots. RMA the first GPU a week after getting it. The other gpus (470,5850 work fine in the same slot. Thought about the PSU,but was thinking that a OCed 470 would use more power.