Sign in with
Your question

Power Consumption as a Gamer|Graphics enthusiast

Last response: in Graphics & Displays

Power Consumption matters as a Gamer?

Total: 13 votes (1 blank vote)

• Yes, As long as I could play my games at least at average+ video settings its OK.
  • 31 %
  • No. I love pure Gaming Graphics. Always Ultra settings.
  • 70 %
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 18, 2011 9:42:51 PM

Assume you could have a mid-range to high-end Gaming system but again assume
the first system's power consumption is about 400W at load and the second is about 700W at load.
Regardless of price of the systems (think someone's giving it to you :D  WOW!!) does it really matter to you
the power draw of systems as a gamer?
Thanks
December 18, 2011 10:51:31 PM

most gamers will always choose the 1200watt psu with the dual 6990s and the dual socket 2011 evga board that has the room like a sauna even when the AC is cranked all the way up

my current dream system is a i3 2100 and a 6770, i like to think the polar bears like me
a c 141 U Graphics card
December 18, 2011 11:06:39 PM

vote for no. 2 :p 
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 19, 2011 12:58:31 AM

i would say on this poll. NO

buy if i had the choice of 2 Ultra high end VGA cards or cpu's, same spec & speed all round.

1 was ~$50 more expensive than the other but it was ~10-20% more power efficient.

id have to seriously consider the higher price but more power efficent card.

No it will not matter to those people who DONT pay their own power bills (still living with parents) but it would to those who do.

a c 355 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 19, 2011 2:13:07 AM

Depends on where the Gamer lives.

Some places in the US it is relatively inexpensive for electricity while in other places it is more expensive. Last time I've checked, the national average was about $0.12k per KWH; I pay $0.20 per KWH. I believe in Hawaii it ranges between $0.40 - $0.45 per KWH.
a b U Graphics card
December 19, 2011 3:14:01 AM

If you can pay $60 for a game you can pay for all the bells and whistles to support it!
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 19, 2011 2:38:49 PM

No more Votes? :) 
December 19, 2011 4:17:03 PM

HugoStiglitz said:

No it will not matter to those people who DONT pay their own power bills (still living with parents) but it would to those who do.

This, why would somebody not paying bill care as long as there PSU can handle it, however if you're paying the bill then you are much more likely to care.
a c 355 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 19, 2011 8:22:59 PM

As I hinted before, it depends on how much you are paying for electricity. I pay about $85 per month for a small 450 sq ft apartment; I live alone. That works out to $1,020 per year for electricity. According to my friend (who lives in the same city I do), my electricity bill is almost the same for his much larger apartment and he has a total of 4 people in his family.

I don't consider myself a gaming or graphics enthusiast though.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 20, 2011 4:43:11 PM

DelroyMonjo said:
If you can pay $60 for a game you can pay for all the bells and whistles to support it!

jaguarskx said:
As I hinted before, it depends on how much you are paying for electricity. I pay about $85 per month for a small 450 sq ft apartment; I live alone. That works out to $1,020 per year for electricity. According to my friend (who lives in the same city I do), my electricity bill is almost the same for his much larger apartment and he has a total of 4 people in his family.

I don't consider myself a gaming or graphics enthusiast though.

Sounds Reasonable :) 
a c 537 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
December 20, 2011 5:20:07 PM

In the worst case scenario, say an Asus Mars II (dual GTX 580 GPU's) vs. a 6790 (430 watts vs. 104 watts) the difference per year in US dollars is $100, IF you play 5 days a week 4 hours a day. That comes out to $8.33 per month added to your electricity bill in the worst case scenario. Cut back on a couple of McDonald's Happy Meals and the energy difference is paid off. This energy consumption debate is really a non-issue.
http://www.guru3d.com/article/asus-mars-ii-review/8
http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-6790-review/6
December 20, 2011 6:29:33 PM

i guess im a glitch in the matrix, my folks pay the electricity bill and the electricity is dog cheap here, we live in a 4200sqft house (5 residents), and pretty much never take the hallway, livingroom and kitchen lights off, the bill comes every 3 months, around $500 (80USD) on average... the truth is, there is just no way i can justify paying more than $60usd for a power supply... its not in me, besides the fact that the more power someting consumes, the harder it is to cool, and i like my pc SILENT, the only thing i want to let me know the pc is on is the light and the slight vibration of the hdds, even when gaming
!