Sign in with
Your question

Is it my 5770 causing a high pitched beeping/whistling sound?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Games
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 18, 2011 10:50:44 PM

When I enter games - I get a strange high pitched beeping sound coming from somewhere.
I can't exactly pin point where from - but it's either my CPU cooler, my GPU or my PSU.

My CPU is an i5 2500k overclocked to 4.5Ghz - with an Arctic Cooler freezer 13.
My GPU is an XFX ATI HD5770 Single Slot.
My PSU is a Corsair CX500 (500w).

Now, there is no noise when i'm using the computer normally - however when I enter games it occurs.
I have my headset on throughout games so I can't hear it, but little things like this really bug me so I'm trying to figure out what is causing it.
Now, I've monitored temperatures and they're all fine on load etc.

I went ingame (cs:s) and the high pitched noise started.
I went into options, and changed resolution.
Do you know how when you change resolutions, your screen flickers and goes black for like 1 or 2 seconds as it changes resolutions?
Well when the resolution was changing, the sound stopped... so I figured this can help us detect the problem.

Is the noise most likely coming from my GPU then? Since when resolutions are changed the noise goes when the resolution is changing?
I also noticed that the noise is slightly more significant on my native resolution than on a lower resolution.

If this is coming from my GPU - should I be worried?

Cheers

More about : 5770 causing high pitched beeping whistling sound

December 19, 2011 11:13:17 AM

try cleaning the fans and heatsink of both your GPU and CPU
if that doesnt work then...
try isolating whatever could be causing the noise
take the 5770 out and use integrated graphics then try and play a not so demanding game but still pretty demanding for your integrated graphics
if there is no sound then its the GPU if the sound is still there then it should be cpu or power supply...
but i think that its highly unlikely for it to be the power supply
December 19, 2011 11:55:49 AM

voltage regulators on components sometimes make this noise, doesnt necessarily mean anything is wrong, but you could try to isolate, i would suggest gpu, since it only occurs after entering games
!