Sign in with
Your question

Computer cannot restart, freezes or BSODs occasionally

Last response: in Systems
February 17, 2012 1:12:47 PM

Hello,

Months ago, I built my first computer by myself. It works fine for the most part, but it's been plagued with a few issues since day one. Even before I installed Windows, the computer was unable to restart properly. Whenever the Windows installer, Windows itself or even the BIOS initiates a restart, when the computer is supposed to power off, the display just shuts off while the computer keeps running. To complete the reboot I'm forced to hit the hard reset button.

The other major issue it has is occasional freezing and/or BSODs. On my first install of Windows, it froze every few hours and made a constant buzzing noise until I shut it off. Sometimes, I would get a BSOD instead, with the main issue being NETIO.SYS. That and the fact that I couldn't connect online told me that the Ethernet driver that came with my mobo bugged, so I reinstalled Windows. The freezing still persists, although the frequency of it has somewhat decreased. I usually only have access to my desktop on weekends, in which case I get about 1 freeze per weekend. When I use it for longer though, the freezing gets more common, going to about 1 freeze per day. There are still BSODs too, but they are rare and they about always say MEMORY_MANAGEMENT.

Other things that are worth mentioning are that sometimes, when Windows shuts down the computer, the 'Shutting down...' screen seems to take longer than it should (about a minute or two) and/or the display shuts off and noise comes from my speakers for a second right before the computer powers off.

The parts I built my desktop with:
MSI 970A-G45 Mobo
AMD Phenom II x4 980 BE CPU, stock heatsink
ASUS DirectCU Radeon HD 6870 Factory OC GPU
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200RPM HDD
Kingston HyperX KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 XMP Dual Channel RAM
Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 550W PSU
LG CH10LS20 Blu-ray Reader ODD
Windows 7 Home Premuim OEM
Antec Nine Hundred Two V3 Chassis

Things I have already tried to solve the problems:
- Updated mobo drivers and BIOS with Live Update 5 and updated GPU drivers. Did nothing.
- Reseated both RAM sticks and tried running it with each individual stick. Did nothing.
- Reset the BIOS to 'optimized defaults'. Interestingly, when the BIOS reboots afterwards, the computer will reboot just fine. After that, the problem goes back to the way it was. If I reset it to optimized defaults again, the same thing happens.
- Reinstalled Windows. Solved/changed the problem like I described above but otherwise did nothing.
- Reseated my GPU. It seems to have decreased the frequency of the freezing/BSOD problem, but it still happens and it could be coincidental, as just not using the computer as often seems to decrease the frequency as well.
- Ran Memtest86. The test did 5 runs overnight and found no issues.

I have pretty much given up on diagnosing my PC by myself, and I'm very reluctant to breadboard or do anything that involves removing parts due to the fragility, so I will only try such things if there's absolutely nothing else that works. I was considering hiring a technician for diagnosis/repair but I figured I should give this forum a shot first.

So, can you figure out what's wrong with my computer or advise me on how I can find it?
a b B Homebuilt system
February 17, 2012 1:39:31 PM

have you connected the front panel connectors correctly?
if the ethernet causes BSOD's you can go to bios and disable it and see if the issue persists
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 17, 2012 2:36:46 PM

wagnil said:
Hello,

Months ago, I built my first computer by myself. It works fine for the most part, but it's been plagued with a few issues since day one. Even before I installed Windows, the computer was unable to restart properly. Whenever the Windows installer, Windows itself or even the BIOS initiates a restart, when the computer is supposed to power off, the display just shuts off while the computer keeps running. To complete the reboot I'm forced to hit the hard reset button.

The other major issue it has is occasional freezing and/or BSODs. On my first install of Windows, it froze every few hours and made a constant buzzing noise until I shut it off. Sometimes, I would get a BSOD instead, with the main issue being NETIO.SYS. That and the fact that I couldn't connect online told me that the Ethernet driver that came with my mobo bugged, so I reinstalled Windows. The freezing still persists, although the frequency of it has somewhat decreased. I usually only have access to my desktop on weekends, in which case I get about 1 freeze per weekend. When I use it for longer though, the freezing gets more common, going to about 1 freeze per day. There are still BSODs too, but they are rare and they about always say MEMORY_MANAGEMENT.

Other things that are worth mentioning are that sometimes, when Windows shuts down the computer, the 'Shutting down...' screen seems to take longer than it should (about a minute or two) and/or the display shuts off and noise comes from my speakers for a second right before the computer powers off.

The parts I built my desktop with:
MSI 970A-G45 Mobo
AMD Phenom II x4 980 BE CPU, stock heatsink
ASUS DirectCU Radeon HD 6870 Factory OC GPU
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200RPM HDD
Kingston HyperX KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 XMP Dual Channel RAM
Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 550W PSU
LG CH10LS20 Blu-ray Reader ODD
Windows 7 Home Premuim OEM
Antec Nine Hundred Two V3 Chassis

Things I have already tried to solve the problems:
- Updated mobo drivers and BIOS with Live Update 5 and updated GPU drivers. Did nothing.
- Reseated both RAM sticks and tried running it with each individual stick. Did nothing.
- Reset the BIOS to 'optimized defaults'. Interestingly, when the BIOS reboots afterwards, the computer will reboot just fine. After that, the problem goes back to the way it was. If I reset it to optimized defaults again, the same thing happens.
- Reinstalled Windows. Solved/changed the problem like I described above but otherwise did nothing.
- Reseated my GPU. It seems to have decreased the frequency of the freezing/BSOD problem, but it still happens and it could be coincidental, as just not using the computer as often seems to decrease the frequency as well.
- Ran Memtest86. The test did 5 runs overnight and found no issues.

I have pretty much given up on diagnosing my PC by myself, and I'm very reluctant to breadboard or do anything that involves removing parts due to the fragility, so I will only try such things if there's absolutely nothing else that works. I was considering hiring a technician for diagnosis/repair but I figured I should give this forum a shot first.

So, can you figure out what's wrong with my computer or advise me on how I can find it?

Things I would look at:
1) Psu: Do you have another you can use? Could be that it has intermittent problems
2) Do you have another video card you can try or does the mobo have onboard vide that you can try in place of the current video card?

m
l
February 26, 2012 11:01:13 PM

The front panel connectors seem to be connected, and the ethernet port no longer caused me problems after reinstalling Windows.

I'm afraid I have no spare parts of any kind, nor does my mobo have onboard video. Is there any other way I can find the problem?
m
l
!