Sign in with
Your question

What monitoring\diagnostic tools

Last response: in Systems
February 17, 2012 2:26:57 PM

If this is the wrong forum, I apologize in advance.

So I have all of the parts to build..

i5 2500k
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO
Asus P8Z68-V Gen 3 mobo
HIS IceQ X Turbo H695QNT2G2M Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 (2 of these)
Patriot Signature Line 8GB DDR3 Ram
Corsair Enthusiast TX V2 Series 750-Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified High Performance Modular Power Supply
Antec Lanboy Mid tower
SSD
Win7 64Bit

My question is... after I assemble all of the parts and power up (crosses fingers)

What software should I be using to monitor\tweak\diagnose all of this new equipment?

You experts fire up a new build for the first time, what software is essential to you?
a b B Homebuilt system
February 17, 2012 2:31:33 PM

nam said:

i5 2500k
Asus P8Z68-V Gen 3 mobo
HIS IceQ X Turbo H695QNT2G2M Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 (2 of these)
Corsair Enthusiast TX V2 Series 750-Watt 80 Plus Bronze Certified High Performance Modular Power Supply
Antec Lanboy Mid tower
SSD
Win7 64Bit

My question is... after I assemble all of the parts and power up (crosses fingers)

What software should I be using to monitor\tweak\diagnose all of this new equipment?

You experts fire up a new build for the first time, what software is essential to you?

I don't run software to monitor and tweak hardward persee. I do run softeware to maintain the system. For example the following are some that I use for different reasons:
CCleaner: Keeping the registry clean
Avira: Antivirus
Auslogics: Disk defrag
Revo Uninstaller: To completely remove programs
Malwarebytes for malware removal

From there specialized tools for certain things.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
February 17, 2012 3:17:29 PM

QuietPC said:
I don't run software to monitor and tweak hardward persee. I do run softeware to maintain the system. For example the following are some that I use for different reasons:
CCleaner: Keeping the registry clean
Avira: Antivirus
Auslogics: Disk defrag
Revo Uninstaller: To completely remove programs
Malwarebytes for malware removal

From there specialized tools for certain things.

Just remember that you shouldn't be defragging an SSD!
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 17, 2012 3:21:06 PM

Just to clarify the above on why for those that dont know.

The 2 main reasons for defragging your disk is to limit the amount of times the drive heads have to move to a different section of the disk to read the data (limit the use of seek times on the disk). The second is to place the majority of your data on the outer edge of the disk where your read and write speeds are faster on a mechanical drive do to simple mechanical physics.

SSD's elimate both of these, one their seek times are next to nil. So moving to a different section of the disk causes little to no delay in data read/writes so you dont need to have a file placed sequentially on the disk. And their is no drop in performance over the entire size of the disk because there is no mechanical limiting factor continually writing everything to a particular section on an SSD will actually decrease the life expectancy on the drive as there are only so many writes per cell before failure. As listed by chuckt above.

Credit goes to Chookman for the explanation as i couldnt be bothered to type it myself.
m
l
February 17, 2012 5:18:20 PM

nam said:

i5 2500k
Asus P8Z68-V Gen 3 mobo
Antec Lanboy Mid tower
SSD
Win7 64Bit

Download the FF: CPU-Z, H/W monitor, Real Temp, Core temp. These are some monitoring tools for your system while you are gaming or stressing the CPU. (CPUID.COM)

To stress the CPU, you can download Prime95, Wprime, superPI, Intel Burn test etc...While running one of this(not all of them at the same time) one at a time only. You can run CPU-Z and H/W Monitor. If your Core temp goes above 70 deg Celsius? STOP and buy an aftermarket CPU cooler(air or liquid).
m
l
!