Building my New Machine!

noblejose

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012
Hi All,
I am building a new machine; need advise from expert guys!

Already bought:
Processor: i7-2600k
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
RAM: Corsair 16 GB Vengeance Blue Low Profile 1600mhz (4x4GB)
PSU: Corsair TX750 V2 (750W)

Yet to buy:

Cabinet:
a) Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced Transparent Window
OR
b) Cooler Master Scout

HDD: SSD
a) Corsair 90 GB Force GT Series SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive - CSSD-F90GBGT-BK
b) Crucial 128 GB m4 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s CT128M4SSD2 - Crucial Technology
c) Kingston HyperX 120GB SATA III 2.5-Inch 6.0 Gb/s Solid State Drive with SandForce Technology SH100S3/120G
d) Corsair 120 GB Force Series 3 SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive - CSSD-F120GB3A-BK

HDD: Data drive
a) Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1 TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s with NCQ 32MB Cache 3.5 Inch Internal Bare Drive ST31000524AS

b) Any other suggestions?

DVD Drive:
a) LG
b) Asus
c) Sony

Please help me to get best option, thanks guys.
-Noble

Case - Do you mean the Storm Scout case? In any event, I think you might want to see if a few other options are available, the HAF cases are very good. Out of those two, I would probably go with B if you did indeed mean the Storm Scout.

SSD - Definitely option B.

HD - Option a is good enough. Western Digital also makes comparable products. I would stay away from Hitachi, but Samsung is also good if it is cheap. The Samsung Spinpoint F3 is not cheap, but it is very highly rated.

DVD - Asus makes a really good 24x, the one in my signature. I would get that one if I were you, even if you have to pay extra for it over the other two brands.

noblejose

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012
Hi Raiddin,
Thanks for quick replay!

Yea, I mean Storm Scout. I have seen the HAF 912 also, but Scout looks different!

SSD - Crucial 128 GB m4 is the one I shortlisted, How about 64GB version of the same? - I am planing it exclusively for Win 7 64bit and some 20GB programmes (Adobe CS5.5, 3D Max, etc) on it. No Data.

HD - I have seen a 64MB Cache version of the same HDD, is there big difference between 32MB Cache and 64MB?

DVD - yea, I will go with Asus.
thanks - Noble

aqe040466

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

Do you want to overclock the CPU?, then you might want to add an aftermarket CPU cooler(liquid/air)

SSD - Windows itself is like 20 GBs, a couple large programs later and you would be looking at a full 64 GB SSD.

Full or nearly full hard drives can give you all sorts of random problems. It is good for a drive to have 15% free space, if not more. That would cut pretty far into 64 GBs, down to 56ish.

Anyway, I don't think it is worth it. The safer option is the 128 gb, but if you only have enough $ for the 64 then get the 64 and keep in mind you may have some problems that come along with the lower size.

HD - 64 is nice if you can get it, but 32 is perfectly fine for most people. Typically, 64 doesn't come cheap, and if you are looking to slash from the budget you can probably start by going with 32 here instead of 64.

Case - I don't think in terms of looks, so you are on your own if that is your priority. My main focus is on efficacy (does it work?), efficiency (does it work well?), and reliability (does it usually work?).

noblejose

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012

Thanks for the input, I want to try little bit of OC as well.
I am considering: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler, RR-B10-212P-G1

noblejose

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012

Thank you for the details.
SSD - OK, I will go with 120gb or 90gb:
a) Crucial 128 GB m4 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s CT128M4SSD2 - Crucial Technology
b) Corsair 90 GB Force GT Series SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive - CSSD-F90GBGT-BK - Corsair (heard very good review on performance & reliability of this particular drive!)

HDD: I will try to go with 64MB Cache, infact 64MB is $14 cheaper than 32MB in Amazon!

Case: yes, you are right. I personally lean towards Storm Scout - 4USB in front (plus I can fix two USB3 pins bracket which came with my MB), spacious enough and nice ergonomics..

Thanks,
Noble

aqe040466

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

Good choice! that's what I'm using. I overclocked my i5 2500K at 4.7 GHZ with a Vcore of 1.35V and running for about two months now. When you are gaming heavily like BF3, skyrim etc.. , you should always monitor the CPU core temp. I'm using CPU-Z and H/W Monitor, Real Temp and SpeedFan. These are the monitoring tools for the Core temp. system wattages and voltages on the system. They are readily available for download online for free. So enjoy your new machine.

noblejose

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012

Thnaks for all your support! sorry for being offline for a while, but I have managed to buy may of the components in last few weeks.

Adding to my previous message, Already bought:
Processor: i7-2600k
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
RAM: Corsair 16 GB Vengeance Blue Low Profile 1600mhz (4x4GB)
PSU: Corsair TX750 V2 (750W)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (RR-212E-20PK-R2) [thanks "aqe040466" ; a more detailed research led me to choose EVO over PLUS
Cabinet: Cooler Master Storm Scout ! (thanks "Raiddinn" , I have seen HAF 922 and 32, both a a bit big for me; storm scout is nice and compact)
HDD SSD: Samsung 830, 64 GB for boot drive and few Applications
HDD Data: Seagate Barracuda 7200, 1TB, 64MB Cache
DVD Drive: Asus 24X DRW-24B3ST

Yet to decide:
Graphic Card: How about EVGA GTX 560Ti ? ; I have heard some new lines of GPUs are coming in near future? I am also okay to wait few months on this part - I am already crossed my budget :( anyway, first I have set it up my system and try how the onboard intel 3000 graphic will perform with my 16gig RAM and ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN 3 (heard some onboard GPU OCs are available in this mobo?). I hope the onboard intel GPU is good enough to handle my Photoshop and little bit Video edits/ I will have to set up my Adobe Creative Suite and start work first, games will follow next :!

UPS: here I am confused, power failure is common in my area, a couple of mins breaks once/twice in a week or so. I was looking on forums; it seems that I have to get a pure sine wave UPS to support my modern PSU with active PFC (Corsair TX750). Is it true? APC's models with pure sine wave out will cost a bomb "(
is 1 KVA - 600W / 1KVA - 700W modified sine wave will help me to get a couple of min backup - I just have to ensure that the system shut down properly. Please help me on this guys, I am confused!

I am planin to put together my machine in a week's time.

Thanks for your support and Thanks Tom for this great forum :)

-Noble