Wolfgamer

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
I was considering swapping out the CPU as well but with all of the searching i've done I have still not found a good CPU of at least 2.8 Ghz that can be supported with a bios to update it with. I was thinking that I might be able to get better graphics with a 6670 or maybe a 6770 but anything like a 6870 might be too much for the motherboard and current CPU to handle.

Wolfgamer

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
I have priced and found a good 6870. That is a card that I really want to work with. I plan on sometime in the future (soon I hope) being able to build a nice gaming rig. But for now I am looking to upgrade to the best graphics with this setup I have now. If I could run this comp with the 600w PSU and get much better graphics with a decent GPU that I could even swap out to my new system then that would work perfect for me. But I want to know and find what is the best GPU that I can get that won't be lost or cause problems with the motherboard and CPU that I am now forced to work with.

Wolfgamer

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
I'm not that much of a computer tech honestly. I know parts and some specs, not really any tech applications. I have never overclocked and not sure if I could. I have recently taken an interest in building one and am learning a great deal the more I look into it. But that is more for the future. Right now I have to deal with what I have to work with so I am left considering buying a GPU that my system can handle and if it can use a good one i'll swap it out and use it again later.

monsta

Splendid
Take it this way , any upgrade you make with your gpu will make a difference from what you have now. Overclocking can be tricky but also fun but it does help if you know what you are doing , or you could always follow an overclocking guide.
I'm not 100% sure if a 6850 would get bottlenecked by your cpu , but if you considered a 6770 for now it will give you graphics a boost and at an affordable price.

Later on you can start learning more and building your own gaming pc. In reality it would be best for you to upgrade the whole system, if you considered this now how much would your budget be?

Cash091

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
With mid range CPU and RAM a GTX 580 would be a HUGE waste of money!!! I'd get a GTX 460 or AMD 5770/6770. It's not going to play BF3 on Ultra, but you'd get decent game play out of it. Also, I don't know if I would try overclocking your CPU as you have a locked multiplier. I would maybe do some research to see if your motherboard could support AM3. If so you can get a Phenom 2 x4 955 Black Edition for around $100. If AM2+ is your best bet, you can find the Phenom 9950 BE pretty cheap... I had that CPU and it games pretty well. Plus with the unlocked mutliplier they can OC pretty well(look into cooling for OCing).

Considering the PC is made by a brand name company (HP) I really doubt there will be any overclocking options for the CPU.

lemlo

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010

This and not to mention the first generation phenoms were completely terrible overclockers. I think a 6770-6850 will work just fine and not break your budget. Try and see if you can find a cheap 4gb ddr2 ram kit and go dual channel and get a 6770 I say.