Something messed up! Really need help ASAP

SingingThroughTheStorm

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
So I ordered a second fan for my PC, and I remove the side cover of my PC, and prepare to test the fan.
I intended to test the fan before screwing it onto the case. As I repair to hook up the fan to the motherboard,
the PC kicks on. I hit the power button and it turns off normally. I unplug the PC and then finish plugging the
fan to the motherboard. I then plug the PC back in, but there is no power! No signs of life in any way.

Could really use help as soon as possible.

So you tried to work on the internals of the computer while the power cord was still connecting the PC to the wall? Is that what I am understanding?

Try to avoid that in the future, if so. The best practice is definitely to sever the physical connection before doing anything internally.

In any event, the best thing you can do at this point is to try a different PSU in the computer. Try to get access to one from someone in the house, a family member, a friend, or whatever.

SingingThroughTheStorm

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011

I understand that. I even read it mutliple times before, it just didn't hit me at that time.
But I did find the issue. I placed the clear CMOS Jumper one pin over from where it should be,
and that for some reason caused it not to boot.

It is showing signs of life. Will try connecting the fan, but this time with the machine unplugged.