Sign in with
Your question

Computer Stuck On American Megatrends

Last response: in Systems
February 17, 2012 5:00:58 PM

Hello,
I have a packard bell onetwo D6020 and its stuck on the american megatrends screen, it says ACHI Port 0 Device Error then Press F1 To Resume, however it isn't picking up my keyboard so unable to press F1 and its just stuck on that page and wont move. Please Help Me!! It has windows 7 installed on it if that makes a difference i dont have a clue about computers

More about : computer stuck american megatrends

February 17, 2012 5:10:08 PM

MOBO is going. Had an MSI go bad in the same manor. Touch the south brige heat sink and you may find it blasing hot. Controls the interface to KB/Mouse and HD controler. Good news is you drive should be intact.
m
l
February 17, 2012 5:19:45 PM

So want do i need to do to repair this and is it going to be a costly one?
m
l
Related resources
February 17, 2012 5:22:25 PM

price_th said:
MOBO is going. Had an MSI go bad in the same manor. Touch the south brige heat sink and you may find it blasing hot. Controls the interface to KB/Mouse and HD controler. Good news is you drive should be intact.

Hi don't no if i replied correctly just, okay sorry to sound silly but i dont have a clue about computers to be honest, how can i get this fixed and is it going to be costly? thankyou kim
m
l
February 17, 2012 9:21:22 PM

Hi, this could be any number of errors.

The error message says that the hard drive is bad. "ACHI Port 0 Device Error" This is the SATA port that connects your disk to your MB. The error could be caused by bad hard drive, bad cable or bad MB.

Suggest first you reset everything by unplugging the PC, letting it sit for a min and then plugging it in again. When it powers up in the BIOS look for the Fkey that says 'reset to defaults' and hit it. Then hit the Fkey that says "save and exit". Make sure you save. With luck it will boot.

If it doesn't boot then you'll need to disassemble the PC. It's an all-in-one, and you will NEED to find a manual to tell you how to open it up. Remove the hard drive. See if the PC will start cleanly (should come up and say 'no boot disk found'). If so plug the old hard disk back in and see if it fails again. IF it fails then replace the hard disk.

Good luck. Post what happens.

edit: any failing part can cause the entire PC to lock up. It's not unusual for the keyboard to fail if the BIOS is hung. Errors on the SATA port can hang the BIOS. A loose PCI card can hang the bios. you name it, bios hangs. That's why support usually tells you to pull all cables, especially USB, network firewire etc from the PC and recreate. I've had external disks hang the bios with both USB and firewire connections on sony and HP pcs. The official guide to 'no boot' is here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste... It will be less helpful with an all-in-one because some of the techniques are really hard when you can't pull parts easily.
m
l
!