pharoahhalfdead

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
As the name emplies I have the overpriced, dual-headed monster which received quite a bit of hype. I've had it for a couple months. These problems only come with crossfire enabled. Maybe you guys can give me some tips.

I've run into a number of problems, some big, and some small. Many games are extremely unplayable with crossfire enabled like Defense Grid, Borderlands, and The Last Remnant. FPS go from single digits, to the 50's, but mostly stayed in the 10's and 20's, even with graphical settings turned down. I found a fix by renaming the "exe" file to "Masseffect", now the games are playable, strangely.

Civilization V easily overheats on DX11 unless I turn down the tessellation, and run the fan extremely high. Overheating to the point of BSOD multiiple times. Disabling xfire gives better performance, very low heat, and I can keep tessallation up.

What is up with crossfire? The only problem with Nvidia was the power saver feature which downclocks the card, but RivaTuner fixed that.

Lucid Logix 1.7.106 drivers wont install, I got my GTX 460 to work only as Physx card using the Hybrid Physx Mod 105ff.

Crossfire really sux. Performance is better when it's disabled. My GTX 295 gave overall better performance when I had it paired with a slower processor in a mobo running PCIe 2x8, with a Physx card.

Am I doing something wrong? Or is there some special drivers out there I haven't found out about? I feel like I wasted my money. (Fanboys, please don't respond).

System specs that matter;

AMD Phenom x4 980 @4ghz
ASUS Sabretooth 990FX
8GB (2x4gb) 1600 mhz Corsair XMS3
Antec 1200
Kingwin Lazer 1000w PSU
PowerColor 6870 x2
MSI GTX 460

monsta

Splendid
Sorry to hear you having such a bad experience with the card.
Would it be bad for me to say RMA it straight up?
Appears that whatever you do with the card its giving you issues, just sounds like you have wasted so much time on it already, send it back and use GTX 460 while you are waiting for a replacement.
The only thing that I can see you havent tried is a bios update for the card,check the powercolor website if you can update the bios. Try different drivers and make sure you do a clean install each time. Hope something works for you.

pharoahhalfdead

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
Rma is actually something that I would like to do, but it is no longer an option. Like most people, when there is a large rebate, I sent off for the rebate as soon as I bought the card. I just didn't expect to have this many problems.
It sounds like you've had to rma a few thangs yourself.
I never thought of the bios option. I'm gonna go to the website now, thanx for the idea.