Solved

Sub $400- Can you do better

Approximate Purchase Date: w\i the month

Budget Range: $400

System Usage from Most to Least Important: surfing, dling, some photo editing, light gaming(kids)

Parts Not Required: monitor, keyboard, mouse, os, cd/dvd burner

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg

Country: US

Parts Preferences: amd for this budget

Overclocking: no

SLI or Crossfire: no

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: building a comp for my mom and little sister will be using it as well for school work and kid friendly games. basically she needs it to do light photo editing, skype, streaming, dling, and surfing. pretty much a stock comp for stock things, nothing too crazy. had to go amd bc of the igp and there is no head room for discrete graphics card. if you can do better or see a flaw in my build please let me know. i am only dedicated to the amd cpu, other parts can be changed around as you see fit, i also realize that the current mobo is out of stock, but im sure they will get more eventually.

cpu- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103943

case- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129074

mobo- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128511

psu- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371033

ram- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231253

hd- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145299

total- $399.94
18 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about better
  1. Usually, prebuilt is better at that budget. I would go with something like this:

    http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0380244
  2. vollman1 said:
    Usually, prebuilt is better at that budget. I would go with something like this:

    http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0380244


    damn good find, didnt even consider that way. dont live near a micro center, guess i can check out the local stores around here and see whats good.
  3. vollman1 said:
    Usually, prebuilt is better at that budget. I would go with something like this:

    http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0380244


    There are things you miss out on with that comp, like a quality PSU and USB 3.0.

    Still, at a max budget of $400 it would make more sense.
  4. Proximon said:
    There are things you miss out on with that comp, like a quality PSU and USB 3.0.

    Still, at a max budget of $400 it would make more sense.


    so you agree with pre-built instead of building it at this budget
  5. Reluctantly :)
  6. heard that
  7. Best answer selected by WTFO.
  8. Proximon said:
    Reluctantly :)



    Thanks :lol: :lol: :lol:
  9. Best answer
    Challenge accepted -> Sandy Bridge Comp for under 400

    HEC 6K11BB Black 0.8mm SECC Steel MicroATX Mini Tower Computer Case - 34.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811121033

    Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D Green 380W Continuous power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - 44.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371033

    Intel Pentium G850 Sandy Bridge 2.9GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor - 87.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116397

    ASRock H61M-VS LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - 54.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157241

    G.SKILL NS 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory - 22.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231396

    SAPPHIRE 100323L Radeon HD 6570 1GB DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - 59.99 (before 10.00 MIR)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102934

    Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - 84.99 (before 10.00 off promo code)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148767


    TOTAL = $390.93 (before promo codes and MIR, shipping not included)

    Sandy Bridge based processor, better graphics, and much nicer hard drive. You could even swap in that antec case if you wanted too. :)
  10. ^+1 for that
  11. or combo's at Newegg

    There's 5 between $200-300 and 17 between $300-400
    You can tweak what you need to with the savings.....

    A4-3300/HD6410D/4GB/500GB SuperCombo $251.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.816573

    A6-3500/A75/4GB/1TB SuperCombo $355.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.752633

    A6-3670K/A75/4GB/1.5TB SuperCombo
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.789240


    Core i3-2100/H61/4GB/1TB SuperCombo $372.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.753182

    etc.etc
  12. Still having to use on board graphics and a less reliable PSU though in those combos. Otherwise they arent bad.
  13. No, you're asking for trouble with those generic PSUs. The prebuilt gets him Win 7 and a year warranty on the full system.
  14. That prebuilt link was just an example hehe

    I am sure that there are other better prebuilt deals out there as well :)
  15. a case and a psu for $40 just doesnt sit well with anyone id think. pezcore27 has a pertty good build and vollman1 has a good idea. thanks for the quick posts, got more than i hoped for.
  16. np good luck finding a fit :)
  17. Pezcore27 said:
    Challenge accepted -> Sandy Bridge Comp for under 400

    HEC 6K11BB Black 0.8mm SECC Steel MicroATX Mini Tower Computer Case - 34.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811121033

    Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D Green 380W Continuous power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - 44.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371033

    Intel Pentium G850 Sandy Bridge 2.9GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor - 87.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116397

    ASRock H61M-VS LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - 54.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157241

    G.SKILL NS 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory - 22.99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231396

    SAPPHIRE 100323L Radeon HD 6570 1GB DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - 59.99 (before 10.00 MIR)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102934

    Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - 84.99 (before 10.00 off promo code)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148767


    TOTAL = $390.93 (before promo codes and MIR, shipping not included)

    Sandy Bridge based processor, better graphics, and much nicer hard drive. You could even swap in that antec case if you wanted too. :)


    Nice budget build.
  18. ^ +1

    I agree :)
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product