HIS Radeon 6850 not running well

I had a stock medion akoya 8346 (i know shitty computer) but i thought I should get a new 500w powersupply from thermaltake and the HIS 6850 from msy so i cold enjoy every game i could think of getting nothing below 30 fps. I already knew the card wouldn't run as good as benchmarks on 3dmarks etc would be because i only have a intel pentium e5700 but games run extremely badly, to the point where my old 5570 would run 10fps better. On games that i have been waiting for ages to play with 40 fps plus, on low settings its a rarity that i ever get over 16-25 fps. Its becoming a huge pain and it's not a hardware problem. I have all the right drivers and MSY aren't helping, so i pass the torch to you guys, yahoo answers doesn't answer and every post on toms hardware gets plenty of help.

Intel Pentium Processor E5700 3.0 GHz, 2 MB L2 Cache, 800 MHz FSB
HIS Radeon HD 6850 DirectX 11 Graphics Card with 1024 MB GDDR5 dedicated memory on board and D-Sub VGA, DVI-I and HDMI
connection (HDCP Support)
Thermaltake 500w psu
1TB (1000GB) Hard Drive For more than 200,000 songs or photos (at 4 MB per track/photo)
4GB (4096MB)1 DDR3 SDRAM Memory
Multiformat DVD/CD Burner2 supports all the usual DVD/CD standards, including dual layer DVD-R and DVD+R
Wireless LAN3 IEEE 802.11 n-standard with up-to 300 MBit/s., IEEE 802.11 b/g compatible3
Network Controller Gigabit LAN 10/100/1000 Mbit/s
6 Channel High Definition Audio4
PS/2 Keyboard and Optical USB mouse
MSI MS-7653 Motherboard
Any assistance or fixes will be very much appreciated
14 answers Last reply
More about radeon 6850 running well
  1. Your cpu is bottlenecking the 6850. Upgrading everything would be the best option, but you can reduce bottlenecking by overclocking your cpu.
  2. If the CPU is the bottleneck, why would his old 5570 GPU outperform his new 6850?
  3. MeeHungLowe said:
    If the CPU is the bottleneck, why would his old 5570 GPU outperform his new 6850?

    Because the 5570 did not bottleneck as much as the 6850.
  4. cpu bottleneck. your cpu is slow, but it should still see an improvement over the 5570. do you have the card plugged into an x16 slot? do you have the extra power connector connected to it? did you uninstall the 5570 drivers with driversweeper in safe mode?(this is a must when upgrading from one amd/ati card to another as registry entries can get screwed up.) then install latest drivers from AMD's site?
  5. The reason it is not performing well is because the Radeon HD 6850 is TOO Fast for a Pentium Dual Core. I have the same problem. The CPU is not capable of keeping up with your new card. Since your 5570 was a slower card, your CPU had no problem keeping up with it. But the 6850 is WAY faster. Just get a faster CPU like a Core2Duo E8400 or a Core2Quad and you will have a greater increase in performance.
  6. scienceisfun91 said:
    The reason it is not performing well is because the Radeon HD 6850 is TOO Fast for a Pentium Dual Core. I have the same problem. The CPU is not capable of keeping up with your new card. Since your 5570 was a slower card, your CPU had no problem keeping up with it. But the 6850 is WAY faster. Just get a faster CPU like a Core2Duo E8400 or a Core2Quad and you will have a greater increase in performance.

    +1 for bottlenecking.
  7. amuffin said:
    +1 for bottlenecking.

    thanks 4 the fast replies, my mobo can't support a better cpu but will these two pieces of hardware make a great difference?
    Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 AM3 970 DDR3 Motherboard
    AMD AM3 x4 840 3.20Ghz Athlon II Quad Core
  8. mzero56 said:
    thanks 4 the fast replies, my mobo can't support a better cpu but will these two pieces of hardware make a great difference?
    Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 AM3 970 DDR3 Motherboard
    AMD AM3 x4 840 3.20Ghz Athlon II Quad Core

    it will make a huge difference.
  9. mzero56 said:
    thanks 4 the fast replies, my mobo can't support a better cpu but will these two pieces of hardware make a great difference?
    Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 AM3 970 DDR3 Motherboard
    AMD AM3 x4 840 3.20Ghz Athlon II Quad Core

    If you want to upgrade to that processor I recommend you upgrade to X4 955 over the X4 840. There is no much difference in price and there is a big difference. The motherboard is nice.
  10. mzero56 said:
    thanks 4 the fast replies, my mobo can't support a better cpu but will these two pieces of hardware make a great difference?
    Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 AM3 970 DDR3 Motherboard
    AMD AM3 x4 840 3.20Ghz Athlon II Quad Core


    You don't need to change your motherboard. If you have a Pentium Dual Core, that means you have the LGA 775 CPU slot. That's capable of taking even a Core2Quad Extreme! You don't need to change your mobo. Get a different cpu.
  11. scienceisfun91 said:
    You don't need to change your motherboard. If you have a Pentium Dual Core, that means you have the LGA 775 CPU slot. That's capable of taking even a Core2Quad Extreme! You don't need to change your mobo. Get a different cpu.

    Where do you get Core Quad Extreme? :lol:
  12. refillable said:
    Where do you get Core Quad Extreme? :lol:

    very rare and expensive cpu's http://ark.intel.com/products/family/34522/Intel-Core2-Extreme-Desktop-Processor/desktop
  13. refillable said:
    If you want to upgrade to that processor I recommend you upgrade to X4 955 over the X4 840. There is no much difference in price and there is a big difference. The motherboard is nice.

    Thanks :P
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon Graphics