Solved

VPN question

The ISP provides two options for that enables VPN connection between my office and branch office:
1. 4 Mbps connection, Dynamic Public IP
2. Dedicated Leased Line

The dedicated leased line cost twice of 4 Mbps connection ($700 to $400 permonth), it's expensive so we are more into 4 Mbps. My question is:
"Does Dynamic Public IP will give trouble in setting up IP? Like always changing setup for VPN each period IP changes?"

My office wants to easy, simpler, long-period use of VPN without much hassle, so if I must often change the setting, it will be very painful to the office.
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about question
  1. I mean, during VPN setup, we configure VPN server's IP. Does this VPN server IP will change over time? so that VPN clients will have to reconfigure its VPN destination server IP?
  2. Best answer
    When you set up VPN's don't use IP numbers, use URL names and use a free DDNS service like THIS one to automatically keep things going when your IP addresses change. If you pay $15 a year, it works even better. Set up your routers to use the DDNS service.

3. You can always use a DDNS (Dynamic DNS) service to track your dynamic public IP. Just use one of the many services available (DynDNS, NO-IP, etc.). You either install a client application behind your network, or some routers include the client in their firmware, to update a domain name of your choosing every time the public IP changes. So a dynamic IP doesn't have to be a problem.
  4. Thanks alot! That answers my question. Both answers are equally good. Kind of difficult who to give Best Answer for. I appreciate both of you guys. Thanks again.
  5. Best answer selected by andrern2000.
Ask a new question

Read More

VPN IP Connection Internet Service Providers Office Networking