Solved

First Attempt at Custom!

I have been wanting to buy a new computer for some time now and with the help of my friend, came up with a custom design. I think there are better deals but couldn't find any. I am looking to play some games (Skyrim, COD, etc.) and would like a computer that is fast, quiet, and efficient. My current monitor is 1920x1080 and I already have a 500GB slave drive. Any suggestions and tweaks would be appreciated. Thanks!

Case:
Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129066

Motherboard:
Intel BOXDH67BLB3 LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121506

Processor:
Intel Core i5-2500 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623I52500
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115073

SSD:
Mushkin Enhanced Chronos MKNSSDCR120GB 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226236


Video Card:
SAPPHIRE 100314-3L Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102948

RAM:
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314

CD/DVD Reader:
ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204

Windows 7 OS

Total: $984.06

Is it possible to build a computer of the same caliber for less?
25 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about first attempt custom
  1. Hey there. Welcome to the forums.
    First things first, I'd like a little more info on your needs. Can you fill out the form http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice It really helps us out by laying out everything we need to know in an easy to read format.
    I'll have a go at it to start things off, however.

    CPU: i5-2500k $229 (overclockable) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072
    Mobo: ASRock Gen3 Extreme3 $122
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157271
    GPU: GTX 560 Ti $210 (great for overclocking)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125401
    Case: Antec 300 Illusion $70 (you have the link)
    RAM: Patriot 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz $42
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220570
    SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD $170 ($20 rebate, making it $150)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227706
    PSU: Antec HCG 750w PSU $99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371049
    DVD: LG $16
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136240
    Windows 7 OEM 64-bit $99
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116986

    This can change, depending on your needs. However this gives significantly more bang for buck, as you see.
    Lemme know what you think!
  2. Oh, sorry I already made one here http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/335363-31-1000-build-advice and this was just the result.
  3. kimisizer said:


    Never heard of the maker. As such I could not recommend it. I always...always stick with one of the Tier 1 or Tier 2 makers, 80%+ efficiency bronze or better. Corsiar, Seasonic and similar. This is NOT a place to be frugal.
  4. kimisizer said:
    I have been wanting to buy a new computer for some time now and with the help of my friend, came up with a custom design. I think there are better deals but couldn't find any. I am looking to play some games (Skyrim, COD, etc.) and would like a computer that is fast, quiet, and efficient. My current monitor is 1920x1080 and I already have a 500GB slave drive. Any suggestions and tweaks would be appreciated. Thanks!

    Case:
    Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129066

    Motherboard:
    Intel BOXDH67BLB3 LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121506
    There is an Asrock z68 for the same money
    Processor:
    Intel Core i5-2500 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623I52500
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115073

    SSD:
    Mushkin Enhanced Chronos MKNSSDCR120GB 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226236
    Crucial Intel and Samsung are the brands currentnly that are recommended. Can you find one of those in the same size range for similar money?

    Video Card:
    SAPPHIRE 100314-3L Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102948

    RAM:
    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314

    CD/DVD Reader:
    ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204

    Windows 7 OS

    Total: $984.06

    Is it possible to build a computer of the same caliber for less?
  5. QuietPC said:
    Never heard of the maker. As such I could not recommend it. I always...always stick with one of the Tier 1 or Tier 2 makers, 80%+ efficiency bronze or better. Corsiar, Seasonic and similar. This is NOT a place to be frugal.


    I have never heard of the brand either, but it does have 80Plus gold Certification. :o
  6. Running a 6870 on a 400w PSU is pushing it. FSP is a great brand and Aurums rock, but pure wattage might win here.
  7. After making some tweaks, I have come up with this build. Some stuff is from Amazon because Newegg taxes me (I am a NJ resident).


    Case $74.99 :
    Thermaltake V9 BlacX Edition with Docking Station (NewEgg Exclusive) SECC / Mesh ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133183

    Motherboard $89.99 :
    Intel BOXDH67BLB3 LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Q7JRJI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

    Processor $209.99 :
    Intel Core i5-2500 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623I52500
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004EBUXI0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

    SSD $163.17 :
    Crucial 128 GB m4 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s CT128M4SSD2
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004W2JKZI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

    Video Card $119.99 :
    GIGABYTE GV-N550D5-1GI GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125410

    RAM $44.99 :
    Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) 240-Pin DDR3 Memory Kit for Intel Core i3, i5, i7 and AMD Platforms SDRAM CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004CRSM4I/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

    PSU $64.99 :
    RAIDMAX Blackstone series RX-700AC 700W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152042

    CD/DVD Reader $15.99 :
    LG 22X Super-Multi DVD Burner 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model GH22NS90B - OEM
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136240

    Windows 7 OS - OEM $99 :
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Q0PT3I/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

    Total: $910.88

    I realized I won't be doing that much gaming so I toned down the video card. Do you guys have any other suggestions? Is this too powerful for a mainly office/student use computer? Thanks!
  8. If you are not going to game a lot then the gpu listed is ok. I would also suggest that you don't need to spend the money on the i5-2500. a 2400 would be fine and actually an i3-2120 would do the job nicely and save another $100. As for the mobo there is an Asrock z68 that is $85 after rebate that would be a bit more future proof.
  9. Could you give us a little more info on what you will be using the PC for? http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice This will let us narrow things down significantly and tailor our feedback to your needs.
  10. striker410 said:
    Could you give us a little more info on what you will be using the PC for? http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice This will let us narrow things down significantly and tailor our feedback to your needs.


    I linked to the thread above but I will repost it here.


    Approximate Purchase Date: February

    Budget Range: up to $1000 (but will prefer to be lower)

    System Usage from Most to Least Important: Home/Office use. Occasional Gaming

    Parts Not Required: Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers, Monitor, HDD http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B [...] irect=true

    Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com

    Country: USA

    Parts Preferences: Intel/Nvidia

    Overclocking: No

    SLI or Crossfire: No (don't even know what this is )

    Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

    Additional Comments: I am looking for a quiet computer that runs smoothly. My current one is quite loud and lags a bit. I surf the web a lot and download frequently so I would like to be able to multitask easily. I don't game a lot but it would be nice to be able run Skyrim. I already have a HDD but will replace it if it hinders performance.
  11. Would an i3 hinder the performance of an SSD at all?

    Currently, I am running a Pentium 4 3.00 GHz (single core). Will the change between this and an i3 be substantial?
  12. QuietPC said:
    If you are not going to game a lot then the gpu listed is ok. I would also suggest that you don't need to spend the money on the i5-2500. a 2400 would be fine and actually an i3-2120 would do the job nicely and save another $100. As for the mobo there is an Asrock z68 that is $85 after rebate that would be a bit more future proof.


    Hey, could you tell me the difference between the Asrock and the Intel mobos? I chose Intel because I will be using their processor, and haven't been disappointed with them. I'm a little confused as to why the Asrock is better. Thanks!
  13. Best answer
    Here's the thing. The actual processor is created by Intel, as is the chipset that goes onto the mobo. Intel sells the chipset to other companies, who then incorporate it into their boards so that they will be compatible with Intel CPU's. This gives you a great variety in which motherboards you can purchase.

    Now, Intel also makes in-house motherboards. Since their main moneymaker is CPU's, these mobo's take a back seat. They don't produce as many as say ASRock or Asus, meaning costs are higher. They sell them mainly to enterprise due to their supposed stability.

    Intel charges a price premium on their motherboards. A premium that simply doesn't make sense for the consumer. Picking a board from a company who specializes in motherboards (ASRock, Asus, Gigabyte) will result in a mobo with more features for less, without a compromise in quality.

    CPU has nothing to do with SSD, really. However going from a P4 to ANYTHING is going to be a HUGE, huge difference. The i3 is fine.

    Here's the build I would suggest.
    CPU: I3-2100 (promo code EMCNHJC32)
    DVD drive: LG DVD Burner Sata
    Above in combo for $132 before promo
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.822291
    Mobo: ASRock H67 Sata3 USB3 $80
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157233
    PSU: Antec 430D $40
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371034
    GPU: Gigabyte 6850
    RAM: Patriot Signature 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz
    Above in combo $173
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.817294
    SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 120GB $170
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227706
    Case: Antec 300 Illusion $70
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129066&Tpk=antec%20300%20illusion

    The i3 is a capable processor, no doubt about that. The 6850 beats the 550 Ti for a few bucks more. Overall this is a kickass build, in my humble opinion.

    Total is $585 before promo codes or mail in rebates.
  14. striker410 said:
    Here's the thing. The actual processor is created by Intel, as is the chipset that goes onto the mobo. Intel sells the chipset to other companies, who then incorporate it into their boards so that they will be compatible with Intel CPU's. This gives you a great variety in which motherboards you can purchase.

    Now, Intel also makes in-house motherboards. Since their main moneymaker is CPU's, these mobo's take a back seat. They don't produce as many as say ASRock or Asus, meaning costs are higher. They sell them mainly to enterprise due to their supposed stability.

    Intel charges a price premium on their motherboards. A premium that simply doesn't make sense for the consumer. Picking a board from a company who specializes in motherboards (ASRock, Asus, Gigabyte) will result in a mobo with more features for less, without a compromise in quality.

    CPU has nothing to do with SSD, really. However going from a P4 to ANYTHING is going to be a HUGE, huge difference. The i3 is fine.

    Here's the build I would suggest.
    CPU: I3-2100 (promo code EMCNHJC32)
    DVD drive: LG DVD Burner Sata
    Above in combo for $132 before promo
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.822291
    Mobo: ASRock H67 Sata3 USB3 $80
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157233
    PSU: Antec 430D $40
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371034
    GPU: Gigabyte 6850
    RAM: Patriot Signature 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz
    Above in combo $173
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.817294
    SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 120GB $170
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227706
    Case: Antec 300 Illusion $70
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129066&Tpk=antec%20300%20illusion

    The i3 is a capable processor, no doubt about that. The 6850 beats the 550 Ti for a few bucks more. Overall this is a kickass build, in my humble opinion.

    Total is $685 before promo codes or mail in rebates.


    Wow that is an awesome build, how come I could never find those deals lol. Anyways, the only thing I'm worried about now is the SSD - since it's an expensive commitment, I want to get the best one. Should I get the Crucial M4, OCZ Vertex 3 or Samsung 830 (price does not matter at this point).

    Also, your motherboard is Micro ATX but case only supports ATX, will that be an issue? And will 430 W suffice?

    Thanks for this amazing build once again!
  15. 1. Samsung 830 is above and beyond every other SSD on the market. Reliability of a Crucial M4, with the speed of a Vertex. Best of both worlds.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147134
    OR
    http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-830-MZ-7PC128D-Internal-Desktop/dp/B005T3GPXE

    2. Micro ATX will fit in any ATX case.

    3. 430w is certainly fine for a 6850. The Tom's System Builder Marathon PC used the same PSU i'm using in conjunction with a 6870 and an overclocked Phenom II X4 955. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phenom-ii-overclock-graphics-card,3032.html If it can take that, it can take a power-sipping i3 and 6850.
  16. A lot of people seem to be having trouble with Asrock mobos. Should I be worried?
  17. Ok, so after contemplating everyone's responses, I think I have come up with an optimal build.

    CPU: I3-2100 $119.95
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004JEVGMO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

    DVD drive: Asus 24xDVD±RW Serial ATA Internal OEM Drive DRW-24B1ST (Black) $22.88
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0033Z2BAQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

    Mobo: ASRock H67M-GE B3 Intel H67 Micro ATX DDR3 1333 Motherboard $85.99
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004S9ROCQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

    PSU: Antec 430D $40
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6817371034

    GPU: Gigabyte 6850
    RAM: Patriot Signature 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz
    Above in combo $173
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Comb [...] mbo.817294

    SSD: Samsung 830 - Series MZ-7PC128D/AM 128 GB 2.5 Inch SATA III MLC Internal SSD Desktop Kit with Norton Ghost 15 $199.99
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005T3GPXE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

    Case: Antec 300 Illusion $70
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 20illusion

    Windows 7 OS - OEM $99
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B [...] PDKIKX0DER

    Total: $831.57 (before rebates)

    Once again, I am a novice at this, so any suggestions/compatibility issues are appreciated. I will most likely order tomorrow. Thanks!
  18. It's alright. It however has more bad reviews than the one I suggested: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157234
    ASRock is a quality brand. I have used ASRock boards twice, never had a problem. If you are worried, I have some additional options available below. The ASRock board is still the best price/features board, though.
    Gigabyte: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128539
    Intel (note the lack of USB ports, as well as no 90 degree sata ports) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121503
    MSI: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130629
  19. Ok, well seeing that you are more experienced than I am, I guess I will go with the first one you suggested. How does the rest of my build look?
  20. Combo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.822291
    promo code EMCNHJC32
    Everything else looks positively spiffy ;)
  21. It's actually cheaper for me the way I have it. The promo code does not apply to combos unfortunately.
  22. Aww, really? Bummer. LAAAASSSTTT suggestion.
    http://www.amazon.com/Sony-AD-7280S-0B-Internal-Drive-Black/dp/B0057FRTPW/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1329619233&sr=1-2 It's all black, no icky white writing that will stand out on your otherwise sexy black rig.

    I give it my blessing ;)
  23. Best answer selected by kimisizer.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product