vinnces

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
Recently bought a MSI GTX 580 Lighting from Newegg. After putting the card in anytime I tried to run any graphical benchmarks or BF3 the comp will freeze/lockup. Have to do a hard power reset to reboot. Did a clean install on both a regular HD and SDD and both had the same problem. Also on the newest Nvida driver and tried the beta driver. Did I run into bad luck and got a defective card?

Thanks for any input!!

Vinn

vinnces

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009

Ran memtest and everything came back ok. Specs are:

Intel i7 920 at 4.0Ghz
Asus Rampage II Extreme Bios ver. 2101
Corsair Dominators 2gb x3
MSI Lighting GTX 580 stock settings
M4 Crucial 128gb SSD or 1TB WD HD
Win7 Ultimate 64bit
Corsair TX950w

Tried it without the OC and same thing happened. The PSU is brand new bought with the graphic card.

vinnces

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
Ok that was strange. Found a GT8500 lying around so gave that a try. Comp powers up but nothing on display. Had to hard reset then get msg OC failed so I changed it back to stock. Stock post fine but windows will stop loading during the logo animation. Another hard reset needed to reboot. Tried running windows installation off of a USB also gets the same lockup. If I tried to OC again it won't post. Same thing happens with the GTX 580 except that I can get into windows if I OC again.

Previous setup was a GTS8800 512 in SLI. Can't use that now since I installed it into my sis's new comp. So which part of my comp is actually giving me the problem?

Thanks for any advise!!

Vinn

vinnces

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009
Ok, I just tried it in my sis comp and it's running fine. Just gotta figure out which part of my system is causing the problem. Hopping it's not the CPU and it's just the MB.....

vinnces

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2009

Gave that a try and still no go.

chaere

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Have to do a hard power reset to reboot. Did a clean install on both a regular HD and SDD and both had the same problem.
g.gif

TechieFan

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012
The GTX 580 is basically a piece of crap I have come to believe. I have two, have had them for a year, and have had problems with them since the day I bought them. Opened multiple tech support tickets with the vendor (EVGA) and they never reponded to a single ticket.

Over the past year I tried everything I have seen on all the different websites (Bios Updates, Windows re-install's, every driver version there is, memtest, different ram, overvoltage, underclock the cards, SLI on, SLI off, replace the SLI Bridge, remove one card or the other, upgrade Intel Chipset software, Upgrade Intel Rapid storage software, Raid on, Raid off, remove virtually all software installed, I could go on and on. It crashes in WOW, and other games. It freezes at the Windows logo screen. It even freezes at initial cold boot sometimes. Remove the cards, put in another brand (or even another EVGA card that's not a 580) and it works perfectly.

Best I can tell, it's an incompatibility with the Motherboard brand and/or Bios settings. My entire family is aware of this, they use EVGA cards too (not 580's) and none have problems. But the problems I have make them ALL leary of ever buying another NVIDIA product again, as well as me. Google the problem, some sites have over 200 PAGES of people screwing with the cards and almost all can't fix the issue. They either RMA the card, eventually getting one that works or a new model, or else buy another brand.

It's rediculous.

Intel i7-980x 3.33GHZ 12M
Corsair Dominator 2GB 1600MHZ * 6
Asetek 570LX 240MM Watercooler
Gigabyte x58A-UD3R
Thermaltake Tough Power 1200W
Superclock EVGA Nvidia GTX 580 1.5GB PCI-E *2
Windows 7 Home Premium
120 GB Intel X25-M Sata *2
WD Velociraptor 600GB *2