Breaz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
Hello

Depending on the HD 7970 reviews i was thinking i would sell my two HD 6950 and get a single HD 7970 would this be worth it?

They are both unlocked and have been running fine since day 1.

Reasons are

1: I want to put water cooling in my rig but find that cooling two cards is alot

2: as much as crossfire has worked great for me i want to try a single card

3: I love being at the front of technology

What do you guys think

xtreme5

Distinguished
whcih processor are you using and all the current cpu's does not support PCI-E 3.0 but you can use it in 2.0 or 2.1 which are backward compatible in last i would say it doesn't worth until you got the ivy bridge to taste the native performance of those gpu's.

I don't think it's worth it at all.The first release of new GPU's are the most basic.Meaning the cooling is terrible and it doesn't come with many features.Not to mention how high the prices are.Also I highly doubt that a single 7970 is more powerful than a 6950 crossfire.And as xtreme5 has said you would have to upgrade almost everything in order to use them at their full speed.

Just doesn't seem worth it,imo.A 6950 crossfire is enough to max out almost any game and will be for a long time.By the time the 69xx series will start to show their age is when the 8xxx series is about to come out.

Breaz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
hmmmm good point and i just read that the 7970 is about 30% faster on average so ok i keep my 6950's what do i do for water cooling?
Do i leave the cards out or get bigger pump/radiator/ fans?

Breaz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
it's a very old case very very old i have had it since i built my first computer about 8 years ago so i'm not scared of cutting into it in fact i already have .
as far as what brand it is is good question therer is no name on it and i don't remember what it is.

I can do just about anything with if a screw it up i'll just buy a new one seeing as i'm not buiying the 7970 anymore

As I said before it would probably be best to post a comment in the WaterCooling section just make to sure your headed in the right direction.I don't fully understand WC yet.

If it's from that long ago I would suggest buying a new case.One that has better overall airflow and one that will be better suited for WC.You can probably find a really good one for less than $100.