Sign in with
Your question

I know another piledriver question... but please read need advice

Last response: in CPUs
June 4, 2012 4:01:37 PM

Okay well i have a am2+ motherboard and I've been debating on getting a am3+ motherboard. Main reason I want a new motherboard is to crossfire and get another hd 6850 or hd 6870 2gb. There is no way I'm getting a bulldozer cpu cause mostly what i do is game and by what i hear and read bulldozer isn't an upgrade from phenom ii(i have 965). Here the question i know no one really knows how good it will be, but can't see amd dropping another flop like bulldozer again it will ruin the reputation that they have, and crediability if they haven't already ruin it already lol. Will piledriver be a good upgrade down the road when it comes out?

Just to make this clear i know intel is the best cpu's and if i can afford one i would have already have one. When I made my build i wasn't that aknowlegeable about cpu's and i went with amd. If i ever get the money i will go that route but right now, i like amd backwards ability and want to know if people think piledriver be a worth it? Idc if i get 90 fps and over with piledriver just as long as every single game can be played at max as far as cpu goes. I know they will have different models but if any of the models be enough.

Btw amd phenom ii serve me well so no regrets.
June 4, 2012 4:07:30 PM

well just get an AM3+ mobo and Crossfire two HD 6870s if you have the money.
The phenom II may be a bit of a bottleneck to 2X HD 6870 but you should still see large performance increase in games.
As with your question, will piledriver be a good upgrade, well i think no one can tell you that right now. We have to wait for benchmarks.
m
l
a c 146 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
June 4, 2012 4:10:17 PM

It's an unknown right now if Piledriver will be any better and if so by how much. Until benchmarks are released there is nothing you can do but wait.
m
l
Related resources
June 4, 2012 4:22:13 PM

Thanks for the replies.
Yeah i figure there wasn't much information out yet. lol
I'm probably just go am3+ and pray that its good enough.
Yeah i figured it be a bottleneck for most games I'm just planning on getting one hd 6870 cause right now i'm only using 1600x900 monitor. Planning on also upgrading to a 1080p. I figure that a hd 6850 and a hd 6870 will allow me to play any game maxed....hopefully. I believe it will be better then a single hd 6970 if I'm not mistaking. I have a 700w 80 certified psu so that won't be a problem. lol
m
l
June 6, 2012 7:21:19 AM

bobbybamf12 said:
Thanks for the replies.
Yeah i figure there wasn't much information out yet. lol
I'm probably just go am3+ and pray that its good enough.
Yeah i figured it be a bottleneck for most games I'm just planning on getting one hd 6870 cause right now i'm only using 1600x900 monitor. Planning on also upgrading to a 1080p. I figure that a hd 6850 and a hd 6870 will allow me to play any game maxed....hopefully. I believe it will be better then a single hd 6970 if I'm not mistaking. I have a 700w 80 certified psu so that won't be a problem. lol

Good news is from what i have read pile driver will be AM3+ compatible. I wouldn't do anything until official details are released by AMD. I already have a 990FX (had to buy it when my 790xtd died) with a 955 in it, I will consider buying a pile driver after seeing its benchmarks however if they are going to make me buy a new motherboard to get PD I will most likely be going Intel as AMD has nothing that can compete with the I5 in price per performance (if PD ends up being amazingly priced and performs on par with Intel stuff I might stay AMD).

At this point AMD would be stupid to change sockets as it would give their current customers an excuse to just go Intel with their next upgrade since they will have to buy a new mobo anyways.

On a side note going AMD during the AM2+ days wasn't a terrible decision at that time. The Phenom II's where performing very well vs Intel's stuff in dollar per performance. It was when Intel dropped the price of the 2500k that their became no reason to go AMD.
m
l
June 9, 2012 1:45:22 AM

danhazelwood said:
Good news is from what i have read pile driver will be AM3+ compatible. I wouldn't do anything until official details are released by AMD. I already have a 990FX (had to buy it when my 790xtd died) with a 955 in it, I will consider buying a pile driver after seeing its benchmarks however if they are going to make me buy a new motherboard to get PD I will most likely be going Intel as AMD has nothing that can compete with the I5 in price per performance (if PD ends up being amazingly priced and performs on par with Intel stuff I might stay AMD).

At this point AMD would be stupid to change sockets as it would give their current customers an excuse to just go Intel with their next upgrade since they will have to buy a new mobo anyways.

On a side note going AMD during the AM2+ days wasn't a terrible decision at that time. The Phenom II's where performing very well vs Intel's stuff in dollar per performance. It was when Intel dropped the price of the 2500k that their became no reason to go AMD.

That is true and i would do the same thing if they decide to go that route and if they do it better be nothing less then amazing to keep me on board with amd. So i bought the phenom ii x4 965 be and end up benning a pin ( i know I'm a dumbass lol) well trying to see if i can get an RMA for it and newegg offered to pay for shipping so i'm going to see what i can do. I never done that before slipped out of my hand:(  I didn't tell them that though. lol
m
l
!