Sign in with
Your question

Sony Vaio Laptop Won't Install Windows

Last response: in Systems
February 17, 2012 9:43:26 PM

I'm working on a Sony Viao for my friend and needed to wipe and reload the system. I have already formatted the hard drive but when I hit next it says "Windows cannot be installed on this drive click here for more information" I clicked it and it said something about your system's BIOS may not support booting to this device (btw i've tried both USB and DVD). Any ideas on what could be wrong?

More Info:
Model: PCG-7192L
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
February 17, 2012 9:47:02 PM

psychoknight14 said:
I'm working on a Sony Viao for my friend and needed to wipe and reload the system. I have already formatted the hard drive but when I hit next it says "Windows cannot be installed on this drive click here for more information" I clicked it and it said something about your system's BIOS may not support booting to this device (btw i've tried both USB and DVD). Any ideas on what could be wrong?

More Info:
Model: PCG-7192L
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit

Sony Dell, HP and others get special versions of the OS that looks to their bios. Suggest you contact Sony and explain. Did you get the OS disk from Sony or are you trying to use another one you had and then input the key once done?
m
l
February 17, 2012 9:50:12 PM

I'm trying to install from a Home Premium disk I had and then apply a key. The first thing I tried was an iso that was supposed to detect the OEM (it originally had a crack and pre activation but I removed it).
m
l
Related resources
February 17, 2012 9:53:58 PM

psychoknight14 said:
I'm trying to install from a Home Premium disk I had and then apply a key. The first thing I tried was an iso that was supposed to detect the OEM (it originally had a crack and pre activation but I removed it).

Do you have the original setup disks for the Sony? Do you have the Sony Win key code?
m
l
February 17, 2012 9:55:35 PM

I don't have the original setup disks, don't think it shipped with any, but I do have the windows key code sticker on the bottom.
m
l
February 17, 2012 10:01:20 PM

psychoknight14 said:
I don't have the original setup disks, don't think it shipped with any, but I do have the windows key code sticker on the bottom.

I just went and tried to find info on whether or not Sony requires it's own install disk and didn't see anything definitive. If you go to the Sony web site and send Tech a question describing your situation you will get an answer fairly fast.
m
l
February 17, 2012 10:04:15 PM

alright thanks for your help I trust the Tom's Hardware community more than Manufacturer techs usually i'll see if I can get one to talk to me
m
l
March 21, 2013 3:52:38 AM

Hi there,

I had similar issue, got resolved.

Go to BIOS->Boot->Boot Mode
Set the boot mode as "Legacy. Restart your machine, it'll work

m
l
August 6, 2013 12:01:02 PM

I had the same exact issue and the BIOS did was not a UEFI bios so there wasn't a Legacy Boot setting. I was searching the web and found this post. Moving on without an answer I ran my diagnostics disk and immediately the hard drive had failed testing. I replaced the hard drive with a new one and the installation worked properly.
m
l
!