GPU fan making noise. What to do?

ammu_10

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011
So one day a strange noise started to come outta ma cpu. It was like the noise of a formula one car engine. Initially i thought it was coming from the cpu fan. So i took it out and removed all the dust with a blower. The noise decreased but just a little. Then I started the computer without the fan. Strangely the noise was still present despite the fan not being there. So i suspected that the gpu fan was doing it. It is a 6 month old Sapphire Radeon 6770. I removed it from slot and then ran the computer and the noise was gone (and this time the fan was present) So i again put it in the slot and now the noise was there.
Then i ran it by turning the gpu fan off. There was no noise. So there is definitely some problem with the gpu fan. Can you please help me? what should i do? I dont wanna change my gpu.
One thing more. When i push the gpu a little upwards or just firmly press it, the noise reduces greatly. But when i release my finger, it gets pushed down due to its weight and noise again starts. Do i need to change my gpu fan? Please help?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This noise is driving e crazy. :fou:

xtreme5

Distinguished
sounds like your gpu fan is getting loser remove it and take a screw driver just open the fan and remove all the present dust carefully without damaging it put the fan on the gpu back and tighten the nuts and screw then try i have same this problem with my old nvidia geforce 7300gs same as your story then i did all those steps and it was work fine no noise.

ammu_10

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011

Can you please tell me a link which would show me how to open a graphic card. I have never done it before.

ammu_10

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011

Yeah i told him about it. He said that he would give it to the company for repair and it would take a week. So i would give to him later. Perhaps after vacation. Although thanks for your help.
Do you know any easy way to switch between my motherboard's onboard graphics and my gpu so that i use my gpu only when gaming.

TRENDING THREADS