Sign in with
Your question

PC not powering up AT ALL

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
February 17, 2012 9:47:44 PM

So, I recently had to bring my PC to Chile because I'm going to be living here. Well, I couldn't find a stabilizer here (they don't use them) but I figured it would be fine to just plug into a wall socket straight. My PSU is a Corsair VX550 and I had been told the voltage doesn't matter, so I just plugged it in.

The thing is, at first it turned on until the login screen. Once I logged in and it finished loading, I would see artifacts in the screen and then no image at all. So I rebooted it, and it did the same thing. I rebooted it again and on the third time, it BSoD'd on me, so I shut it off. The next time it wouldn't turn on again, at all. Not even a slight fan spin. Now I don't know what's causing the trouble.

The motherboard has no lights, so I really can't tell if the PSU is giving it any power or not. I've had PSUs die on me before, but all those times the system would power up for at least 3 seconds and then shut off. Now it doesn't power up at all.

Any help?

EDIT: Forgot my system specs

ASROCK N68-S
4GB DDR2 667MHz RAM (2 sticks 2GB each, one of them is 800mhz, the other 667mhz)
RADEON HD 4850
PHENOM II 945
PSU: CORSAIR 550VX

More about : powering

a b B Homebuilt system
February 17, 2012 9:55:28 PM

tyranius said:
So, I recently had to bring my PC to Chile because I'm going to be living here. Well, I couldn't find a stabilizer here (they don't use them) but I figured it would be fine to just plug into a wall socket straight. My PSU is a Corsair VX550 and I had been told the voltage doesn't matter, so I just plugged it in.

The thing is, at first it turned on until the login screen. Once I logged in and it finished loading, I would see artifacts in the screen and then no image at all. So I rebooted it, and it did the same thing. I rebooted it again and on the third time, it BSoD'd on me, so I shut it off. The next time it wouldn't turn on again, at all. Not even a slight fan spin. Now I don't know what's causing the trouble.

The motherboard has no lights, so I really can't tell if the PSU is giving it any power or not. I've had PSUs die on me before, but all those times the system would power up for at least 3 seconds and then shut off. Now it doesn't power up at all.

Any help?

EDIT: Forgot my system specs

ASROCK N68-S
4GB DDR2 667MHz RAM (2 sticks 2GB each, one of them is 800mhz, the other 667mhz)
RADEON HD 4850
PHENOM II 945
PSU: CORSAIR 550VX

Fried? Is Chile 220 like Europe or 110 like the US?
m
l
February 17, 2012 9:59:46 PM

Hi.

It's 110 like the US. I didn't think it would matter though. Some computer guy told me that if the PSU was "PFC active" it would auto-adjust the voltage itself.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
February 17, 2012 10:23:08 PM

Do you have access to another psu to try? You need to do that to determine whether that's the issue or not. You could also have had a capacitor on the mobo go bad. In the transport maybe a connector got loose? Try making sure everything is properly plugged in to all connectors.
m
l
February 17, 2012 10:59:40 PM

I'm sorry, I don't even know what a capacitor is. I already unplugged and re-plugged everything on the PC minus stuff like, the power button.

Unfortunately, I don't have another PSU to try...

There is another fact, I don't know if it matters. The PSU makes a noise when I plug the power cable onto it. I don't know if it's normal, but it's only when I'm plugging the power cable to it.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
February 18, 2012 1:18:36 AM

"Some computer guy told me that if the PSU was "PFC active" it would auto-adjust the voltage itself. " oops. PFC is power factor correction. It has nothing to do with auto adjusting voltage. (it also doesn't rule out auto-adjusting. PFC has nothing to do with it). here's a pointer that explains power factor. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_factor

For your PC, this may help. Sure sounds like the system PSU fried. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...

Suggest you invest in a kill-a-watt meter. $20US http://www.amazon.com/P3-International-P4400-Electricit... It'll show you what voltage you are getting over your line and tell you if ground is bad, etc. If your voltage is low or high or swings between the two then investing in a UPS with boost and trim like the one I use (http://www.amazon.com/APC-BR1000G-Output-Power-Saving-B...) will prevent future problems.

edit: Some good news. That CORSAIR 550VX has a 5 year warranty.
m
l
February 18, 2012 1:21:55 AM

Yes, I think I jumped the gun when I used no stabilizer or UPS. I guess I'm gonna look for another PSU then. Are Thermaltake or Seventeam brands reliable?

P.S: I use my laptop plugged into the same wall socket I tried to turn the PSU on. It's been working flawlessly but could there be any problems about that?

EDIT: Just remembered I always used a line protector when trying to turn the PSU on. I'm ignorant as to what line protectors are supposed to do, but shouldn't it protect the PSU in that case? I'm most likely wrong but it's worth asking.
m
l
February 20, 2012 12:13:35 PM

Well, I just tried the paperclip test upstairs with a transformer and to my surprise, the computer worked. I brought the transformer downstairs and turned it on here and it also worked. So there I was, using it fine, then I booted up a game. After about 25 minutes, it shut off.

Then I tried turning it on again, and it turned on fine, but now it shuts off before getting to the login screen. So, do I have a bad PSU indeed? Or could it be something else?

EDIT: Just tried booting in Safe Mode and it didn't work. It shut off before I logged in.

EDIT 2: Was troubleshooting through a process of elimination. Removed GPU, removed both memories and tried them separately. None of that worked. I removed one of my hard drives and it booted but the funny thing is that I had to mess with the power cable for the PC to turn on. How often do power cables crap out? It might just be wishful thinking, but if my problem was as simple as a finicky power cable I would be pretty relieved.
m
l
February 20, 2012 1:49:17 PM

EDIT 3: Just re-plugged the Hard Drive and the PC booted up fine. The problem is not in the hard drives. It's either mobo, PSU or Power cable. I'm leaning towards the power cable....
m
l
!